TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Hondo

You may find info on your Tacoma vs Tundra question in the forums over at http://www.tundrasolutions.com. There is a lot of towing discussion there but I don't recall that anyone has used both. We waited a year for the new, larger Tacoma to come out and wound up buying a Tundra after driving them back to back. It's probably an age-related opinion but we found the Tundra to be more comfortable and refined. They are both rated to tow more than the largest TM and either should serve you well. You are probably aware that a new, larger Tundra is due in the fall.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Freedom

(As I recall, Yellowstone is not a hard park, towing-wise. Grades and altitudes are moderate. Nothing like the high Sierras or the Rockies further west.)

There are some rather high passes in and around Yellowstone. Bear Tooth Pass weighs in at 10,974 and several other areas are up in the 9000 foot range. The Absaroka Range forms the eastern border of the park contributing to the altitude. You would definitely want to drop your trailer before making the loop around the park.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
ddnavar

Default Been there this Year

My two daughters, grand daughter and myself went to Yellowstone in the last week of May 95 and my wife and I went in July of 94. I towed my 3124ks with a 6 cyl 4-runner, and had no problems with the climbs and altitude. The TM was definitely fully loaded.
I had to go through yellowstone because the grand teton "Colter bay" was closed. It is a very nice rv park which opens in june.
We had to go through the park to the Yellowstone KOA "www.yellowstonekoa.com" at Madison. We stayed there 7 days. It has an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. "Excellent in May". Enjoyed the park very much.

The RV campgrounds in Yellowstone park are very close together, so we chose not to camp there.
Get an annual parks pass if you stay at the koa, because it is a few miles outside the park.
P.S. They will not let you camp inside Yellowstone with a canvas pop up. Bears...
Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
Would you order the 2 inch lift?
If I did not have the 2 inch lift kit on my 2720 then it would rub on the ground going in and out of my driveway.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Without a doubt: V8 Tundra, 2 inch, and WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
Thanks for all the help.
Is there a big difference between a v6 Tacoma crew cab and a v8 Tundra crew cab? I am trying to decide between a 2720 and the 31KB. Most towing will be in the East but our favorite park is Yellowstone.
Huge difference. Towing a 31KB at the elevations of Yellowstone (~8000 feet) with a V6 will be an exercise in total frustration. Even a 2720...and the load of a long trip...will make the V6 badly strain at higher elevations. The V8 has much higher torque...and the Tundra is a far more refined vehicle for long distances than the Tacoma. Several TMO members have tried, repeat tried, to tow TMs with V6 Tacomas in the western mountains at elevations over 5000 feet. After a few frustrating trips, they traded up to V8 Tundras.
Quote:
Would you order the 2 inch lift? I don't see it in the brochure.
Yes.
Quote:
If you already have a heavy duty hitch, can you add weight distribution to it? I have no idea how those things work.
You don't actually have a heavy duty hitch. You have a heavy duty hitch receiver...the part that a hitch slides into. The hitch is the part that hitch ball is bolted to. The actual hitch can be a simple drop down hitch bar (aka weight carrying) or a weight distributing hitch. Please study this webpage to understand the advantages of a WDH and to see pictures of the various WDH. Please note that a WDH is a system of bars, brackets, and lift chains that definitely can't be "added" to a normal weight carrying hitch.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote