TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
rockerga

Default Door Leak New 2720SL

Brand new unit: it is set-up level in my backyard for loading our gear and all set-up to the best of my knowledge "perfect" but the door has leaked very bad: The entire door, the floor below, stove area and other side wall all wet.

Some very heavy rains today and last night!!!! What did I do wrong, what should I check for?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Can you tell where on the door the leak occurs? Top? Bottom? Middle seam? Sides?

Make sure that the two pins on the upper edge of the lower door half are properly engaged in the clips. These are easy to miss, and the doors won't seal if you do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
rockerga

I am "fairly" sure all pins were located in a locked position. The door was wet from the top down and it it's entirety! The top weatherstripping was SOAKED!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerga
The entire door, the floor below, stove area and other side wall all wet.
Did the factory install the valance (?) on the outside above the door that deflects water rolling off the roof?

What do you mean by the "other side wall"? Is that the wall opposite the door?

An advanced search on "leak door" had a post that talked of water coming through the seal between the shells. Any chance of rain blowing through a loose seal and coming down both walls?
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
rockerga

VALANCE...... I know I saw no valance; just the door mountings and the awning above, there was no drip shelf or valance. I will check better in the morning!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
dbnoll

I found some water once on the floor near the door on mine and the wall was also wet. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was inside when it began to leak again and it turned out that it was the roof vent that was actually leaking and running along the ceiling to the outer wall. Just a thought, perhaps worth checking into.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
rockerga

Sorry, but just to clarify: the leak was running down the door (From the top) and both walls on either side of the door were also wet. I will check for a valance this afternoon after work.

THANKS TO ALL!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
rockerga

Thanks, I had done a "leak" search here on the site and had already checked potential sources at the time, and it is definitely the door. Just to be sure I used a dry paper towel and ran it outward on the ceiling from the seal and both vents back to the door: dry as a bone. Definetely coming in at the top of the door.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rock -

Just to be clear, here is a snapshot of the "valance" that has been mentioned. As you can see, it is above the door, and below the awning.

Incidentally, on my TM at least, the valance appears to be overkill, since the awning appears to be caulked where it meets the sidewall of the trailer. I'm assuming that you have an awning ...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Valance 2.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	891  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
rockerga

Excellent picture Bill and THANKS! Exactly what I thought "I should see" after the posts started and the "valance" was mentioned...but - Nope, no valance here. Just exactly what the picture shows minus the valance so water is rushing into the insulation and into the trailer. I have not checked the space between the awning and the TM as yet but I will do that ASAP; things are just winding-up the workday and there is still light outside. Is this a factory admitted item? Who can I call at the factory for assistance?

I was going to send you back a picture of mine even showing water coming from behind the awning but can't figure out how to attach them....