TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
I'm aware that they make trailer hitch extensions, but I can't get past thinking about how they'd leverage (literally) all of our towing problems in the worst way. I think we want a 4200# trailer with a 600# tongue to hang on a hitch ball as close to the rear axle as possible, not stuck out further with a load hanging there to boot. (If anybody out there's ever actually tried this, please share your experiences with us, because we always enjoy good adventure stories).

The 2 truck solution has a lot of promise. But to scale this up properly maybe what you really need is a proper 5 ton box truck for a tow vehicle. Or, even better, get one of those flat bed tow trucks, set the TrailManor up there so that the shells will have room to open and close, and then you'd be able to tow a big toy hauling trailer behind ("Watch out for that last step to the ground, Honey, it's a long one!").
I have reached the same conclusion you did regarding the hitch extensions. I would also like to hear stories of experience. The cost is too high to just spend the money to try it out to see if it works.

For my current needs/wants/desires I can get by with a pair of 3/4 ton crew cab trucks. One has the 8 foot bed but the other one only has a 6.5 foot bed. With 5 adults that is enough. Now if we ever have grand children then I might need to modify this.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
MisterP

A whole new discussion around a spam comment. Interesting. Why beat the horse?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #13

Sounds like He needs to get rid of his TM and buy a toy hauler camper.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
PopBeavers

It might have started out as a troll, but I am still thinking of a solution to my problem.

If I load the 700 pound Polaris Sportsman X2 ATV (driver plus passenger) in the 8 foot bed, and I tow my TM 2720, where do I put my Yamaha WR250R Dual Sport (street legal dirt bike) motorcycle?

This would be only for those situations where it is my wife and I. She rides the ATV (Big Bertha) and I ride the motorcycle.

Since it is an X2 we could just double up on the ATV, but I prefer riding in the forest with two off road vehicles, in case one of them breaks down.

IF the kids (son 27 with his wife, daughter 30) Then we take another ATV (single rider) plus two more off road motorcycles, thus the second truck and ATV trailer.

Can't park a toy hauler at home and I refuse to pay $100 plus per month to store it in a gravel fenced in but no security storage facility.

Maybe I should just move.

I do believe it can be done, but I am not certain that my 2500HD has enough capacity. I should have bought a 3500HD dually. Gas would have been fine. I don't think I am heavy enough to need diesel.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Redhorseman

Mr. Adventure. You sound like a smart man... I'm just a smart "a". I've contemplated adding an extension between the swing hitch joint to the trailer for the purpose of adding a ramp for a motorcycle. This actually seems viable, but might be pushing the "bleeding edge". The extension would need to be 3' long. I estimate the extension will weigh less than 100#. The tongue weight now is about 450#, so with the extension and bike it will increase to 950#. The truck and hitch is rated well beyond that and with a WDH 250# will be transferred to the front axle and 250# to the TM axle. Again, below the capacity. Assuming the material used and construction method is first class, tell me why you think that won't work. I see the thread is quite old, but hopefully you get this. Thanks ahead of the time... Clint (Redhorseman)
Old 07-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Torquelift Superhitch: http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=superhitch
& Supertruss: http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=supertruss

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorseman View Post
Mr. Adventure. You sound like a smart man... I'm just a smart "a". I've contemplated adding an extension between the swing hitch joint to the trailer for the purpose of adding a ramp for a motorcycle. This actually seems viable, but might be pushing the "bleeding edge". The extension would need to be 3' long. I estimate the extension will weigh less than 100#. The tongue weight now is about 450#, so with the extension and bike it will increase to 950#. The truck and hitch is rated well beyond that and with a WDH 250# will be transferred to the front axle and 250# to the TM axle. Again, below the capacity. Assuming the material used and construction method is first class, tell me why you think that won't work. I see the thread is quite old, but hopefully you get this. Thanks ahead of the time... Clint (Redhorseman)
Think of a teeter-totter with the rear axle of your tow vehicle as the balance point. In rough terms, the problem with doubling the hitch weight and doubling the distance from the rear axle to the hitch ball is that you're multiplying the downward effect of the hitch load by approximately four. In general, anything that multiplies the distance from the rear axle to the hitch ball also multiplies most of your towing problems.

Again in very round numbers and going from memory on some of the long wheelbase pickup weights reported, a 500# tongue took 300# off the front and added 800# on the rear axle without a WDH. 4 times that would be taking 1200# off the front and adding 2400# to the rear axle, to put this in the ballpark without working too hard. A WDH would help, but if you found one big enough, you'd be needing a tag axle on the trailer to carry it's share (longer hitch ball-to-front-axle-distance vs hitch-ball-to-trailer-axle-distance makes a WDH put a higher percentage of weight distributed to the trailer side).

I'd also be concerned about the flexing and slack motion in the joints of the hitch and the up and down travel (I think you'd risk bottoming out a lot, perhaps on the highway at speed when you hit a dip in the road). The extension may not be designed to handle the side to side torque loads of a 450# motorcycle carrier fastened on it. And how would you attach it: you don't dare drill holes in the extension, and if the extension is heat treated you don't want to weld anything to it. Even if you got this all hooked up on the driveway and it looked OK, I can't see how this story can have a happy result when you get it to the truck scale.

Now think about this the other way. If you instead mounted 450# of motorcycle on the front end of the truck, it would balance the truck axle loads and you wouldn't be needing a WDH or any of that other hardware back aft. How to do that? How about a snow plow mount where you unbolt the plow and replace it with a roll on motorcycle platform that uses the hydraulic plow lift mechanism?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let me suggest not doing this. I'm not at all sure that the swing tongue structure is strong enough to support it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #19
AngliaUSA

I did it and it works just fine. I've done several thousand miles towing with my motorcycle on the back of my TrailManor without issue. Caveat Emptor. See attached thread.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ght=motorcycle
AngliaUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:22 AM   #20
larsdennert

The rear bumper is super thin. I damaged mine hanging bikes off it. Now I just put bikes inside the TM and close it. Works great if you take the front wheel off adult bikes. I've put at least 3 in and maybe 4, don't recall.
larsdennert is offline   Reply With Quote