TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2003, 03:34 AM   #1

Default Towing in Overdrive

We are considering in purchasing a TM 2720 and will be pulling it with a 1/2 ton Chev truck with a 5.7L V8 engine
We have an oversized transmission cooler.
My question is: can we pull the TM in overdrive or will we need to go to drive for towing?
I have pulled a 26' travel trailer in drive and presently a 1200 lb Aliner in overdrive.
Thanks for your information.
Gene Culman
Old 02-21-2003, 04:29 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Towing in Overdrive

There is some disagreement about this.

The Owners Manual for my Ford Explorer (4.6L V-8 with factory towing package) says

"Driving with an Automatic Overdrive Transmission
• With certain car and compact truck automatic overdrive transmissions, towing – especially in hilly areas – may result in excessive shifting between overdrive and the next lower gear.
• If this occurs, it is recommended that the overdrive gear be locked out to eliminate the condition and provide steadier performance (see your vehicle’s Owner Guide for information).
• When there is no excessive shifting, use the overdrive gear for optimum fuel economy.
Overdrive also may be locked out to obtain engine braking on downgrades."

In other words, overdrive is OK as long as the load is not so great that the transmission has to continously downshift to keep up with it. Since the vehicle is rated to tow something over 7000 pounds, and my TM weighs half that (3500 pounds), I don't feel too bad about using overdrive as long as excessive shifting doesn't take place. In that case, I am careful to disable it.

However, Bob_Strong has gotten some different inputs from his sources, and will report on them here.

What is really needed is a transmission temp gauge, and believe it or not, I can't find a shop around Scottsdale AZ (including the Ford dealer) who is willing to install one for me. Don't know why - they just don't seem to want to do it. That's frustrating.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

I also tow with a Ford (see signature). I used OD when I towed my TM with an Aerostar 4.0 V-6, an F150 w/4.6 V-8, and now a larger trailer with an F150 w/5.4 V-8, 3.73 gears. My experience verifys what the Ford manual says. I rarely have encountered towing situations where the transmission was "hunting". When it has happened, I just turn OD off. I usually turn the OD off when decending a grade to use the engine to help brake our speed... on steep decents, I downshift to 2nd gear to assist with braking.

As long as the transmission doesn't have to hunt (shifting up & down frequently) there is no mechanical reason not to tow in OD, and your gas mileage will improve.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:29 AM   #4
Windbreaker

I tow with a Chev 4x4 and 6000 motor I leave the overdrive on all the time. I do down shift to second going down a long grade that automaticaly locks out OD.

Do you have the heavy load shifting pattern? If so, while driving in a lot of ups and downs - that is very hilly - not the almost steady ups the long downs of mts. you might want to use it.

When driving in new land forms turn off the sound system and keep your ears open to the sounds your truck is making you will soon learn what is best for you.

I know my truck is way over kill for a TM but I like it that way, never any worries. Sounds to me like you are in the same boat. Enjoy.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
arknoah

I was always taught to down shift when going up or down long grades as well.  We've towed our TM 3225 with our Sequoia (6,000+ lbs towing capacity) for the last two years with no difficulty.  Either listening or feeling a series of up and down shifts is a good indicator that you should lock our the OD.   When that doesn't occur, we just keep on driving in overdrive.