TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default TM upper door opens while driving

On our recent trip from Arizona to Maine, we encountered this problem repeatedly. After driving for a while, we would look back and discover that the upper half of the door had come unlatched. Since the hinges are on the forward edge of the door, the air stream keeps it closed as long as we are moving. But slow down to go through a toll, for example, or get off the highway and go into town, and it swings open until we pick up speed again. Every trucker on the road feels obligated to blast his air horn and gesticulate wildly. Just being helpful, I guess ...

I tightened the screw that holds the white plastic turn-latch, but this doesn't seem to help. I've thought of putting two dots of RTV on the door frame, just above and below the position of the turn-latch - but that's really a Mickey Mouse solution.

Anyone else had this happen? I need another solution.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
KB7OUR

Default Re:TM upper door opens while driving

Bill, the new rubberized insulation I added (purchased from HD) around the inside of the door frame keeps the door just tight enough against the nylon latch when closed that it doesn't pop open. I have a replacement latch on hand (same part used to hold the door halves together) for use when the original one breaks off one of these days.

Wade
Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
Senorsedona

:P
I have this problem on my 2720SD. I kept tightening the latch, but no success. I have put velcro on it, hopefully this will solve the problem. I'll find out tomorrow, off to ShowLo AZ. About a 4 hour drive from my home, it should be a good test.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I had the same concern when I first got my TM. Before I left the dealership, I had them replace the short latch with the same one that latches the upper and lower halves of the door together, I have never had a door opening incident. As long as the screw doesn't fall out or break it will stay closed.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
bonzaibeaver

Larry,

That latch makes a lot more sense than the short one that is standard. I've always wondered why TM puts such a short latch on the door. It really doesn't have much coverage over the top door. It seems like the latch should be about a 1/2 inch longer to really secure the door during travel.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
jniles

I had the same problem on the way home from the dealership after purchasing it. I tightened the screw once and again it was open before we got home on the same trip. Then I really really did tighten it and have pulled 3 or 4 trips of considerable length without a problem.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
ccc6588

I had the same problem. I think 2 latches rather than one will do the trick. TM should consider it.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Senorsedona

Hi....this is senorsedona, As stated above, I made a latch with Velcro. It works great I traveled about 400 miles, no problems.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
rxdave

another solution would be to install a deadbolt lock on the upper door. see posting under modifications. rx Dave;D
Old 06-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
Senorsedona

The velcro fastener..........I used selfstick velcro, about 1 1/4 inch sq. on the door. Then I used a screw-in the molding around the door, holding a Velcro strip about 4 1/2 inches long. It holds the door really tight.

Hope this helps.