TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I'm sorry Larry, but I'm not understanding it either.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

Back your camera out a bit. A close-up shot always seems like a good idea, but you can lose context, making it hard for the viewer to get oriented. You've got some good closeups - now try to add some context shots, and add some text, and maybe some arrows, to bind them together.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I think I have similar damage. I believe it's caused by high wind while the trailer is open. It turns out that extending the front bed does almost nothing to limit the shell's horizontal movement, and that the front latch arms and the velcro flaps are the only thing limiting horizontal movement in high winds.

For this reason, I've concluded that it's better to store your TM closed.

I'm going to leave it alone until it becomes more of a problem. I believe that you can lift the shell off of one of the lift arms using two farm jacks, one on each side of the pocket. It doesn't sound like there is significant energy in the lift arm when raised.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

When you look at the shots of the pocket stop in the earlier posts, you cannot see the nature of the damage to the frame inside. Unfortunately, when I try to get a shot of the damage inside, I'm forced to get too close in.

I'll try to make a sketch of what I see. Perhaps a photo from the side, then a sketch beside it that shows what has happened to the frame.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I found another angle that might work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPA_DSC1838.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	16119

"A" is pointing to the exposed inner aluminum skin. "B" is pointing to the bottom trim. If you look at your TM, this bottom trim "A" is perfectly straight and in line with the lower edge of the aluminum skin. The entire 1" square frame stock has been bent upwards by about an inch at this location.

I suspect that some force from above (the roof, not the Almighty) pushed the wall down into the lift arm and pocket. If you look at how the pocket is attached, it is screwed to the bottom face of the 1" frame stock. The inner skin has separated from the foam for a good 12" around this point.

If this picture doesn't help, I may have to draw something a little more clear.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Ahhh - that's much better! Thank you! Now I'll have to wait until I get home this evening to look at mine.....
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Hmmm, not much help here yet, let me try a sketch with more notes:

img003.pdf

After having drawn it out, I'm not wondering if something got jammed in the pocket stop. It is only bent up on one side, where the bumper would be for the pocket stop. However, it's bent up a good half inch.

Either that, or because the torsion bar is weak, it may not have come out evenly. As a result, because it is "heavy" without the torsion bar help, some one in the past may have jerked it up hard and crashed it against the pocket stop on that side. As the pocket stop made contact, it applied force on the pocket stop bracket, pulling up on the aluminum frame.

Any repair would involve removing the pocket stop assembly first, bending the lower aluminum frame back into place. Then I have to figure out how to keep it there.

It may also be wise to wait until I replace the torsion bars.

I have a lot to think about. The trailer is still very useable. It may not even be worth fixing, as long as it's stable.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #18
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I found another angle that might work:

If this picture doesn't help, I may have to draw something a little more clear.
Excellent picture Larry; much clearer as to where on the TM you were referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Hmmm, not much help here yet, let me try a sketch with more notes:

Attachment 16131

After having drawn it out, I'm not wondering if something got jammed in the pocket stop. It is only bent up on one side, where the bumper would be for the pocket stop. However, it's bent up a good half inch.

Either that, or because the torsion bar is weak, it may not have come out evenly. As a result, because it is "heavy" without the torsion bar help, some one in the past may have jerked it up hard and crashed it against the pocket stop on that side. As the pocket stop made contact, it applied force on the pocket stop bracket, pulling up on the aluminum frame.

Any repair would involve removing the pocket stop assembly first, bending the lower aluminum frame back into place. Then I have to figure out how to keep it there.

It may also be wise to wait until I replace the torsion bars.

I have a lot to think about. The trailer is still very useable. It may not even be worth fixing, as long as it's stable.
The sketch is very helpful too; I would concur that it may not be worth fixing if the TM remains stable.
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #19
sandralou3

We are having the same issue with our 1996 TM 3023. What did you finally do for your issue Larryjb?
sandralou3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #20
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Sandralou,

I haven't actually done a repair yet. I am monitoring it for the moment and may do a repair this summer.

I had the opportunity to drop into Custom RV north of LA last summer. They have had to make similar repairs in the past. Here is a synopsis of what they do:

1. Temporarily support the upper shell in the raised position and remove the lift arm.

2. Straighten the bottom rail.

3. Fill the void with wood jammed tightly.

4. Reassemble.

I am considering filling the void with spray foam, then use a few screws from the inner side to secure the bottom rail to the inner skin. However, I also suffer from elongated pivot holes, a common issue. In the region of the pocket stop, there is a second thicker inner skin to support the shell on the pivot as you raise or lower the shell. The weight of the shell only rests on the pivot while raising or lowering the shell. Bill and I have discussed this problem at length. Most people simply use a large fender washer to cover up the ugly elongated hole, but other than that, the washer would serve no purpose. If the inner plate skin is also elongated, I will look into ordering a pocket stop repair kit, and insert a replacement inner plate skin.

I don't think it's all that bad. It's probably been like that for years. What I need to do first is replace a couple of weak torsion bars!

I hope this helps

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD