TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Removable wooden valances

As part of my complete remodel, I've been pondering all winter what to do about the curtains. Part of the reason that I thought about selling my TM and buying a Lance 1475 last Spring, was the things in the Lance that I really, really liked. So with that in mind, I finally came up with a solution for my TM windows.

I liked the idea in the Lance of the blackout shades, and the light diffusing shades. With the TM you have either curtains open, or curtains closed, which makes the TM darker than I would like, unless I actually wanted it darkened for some reason.

So, I have built wooden valances, that I will install Roman shades (for darkening) and gauze curtains (for light diffusion only).

The z-brackets I ordered finally came in, so this evening I mounted 4 of the valances that I started building on Sunday, and finished up on Tuesday. I am working on the blinds and curtains, but couldn't finish them until I had the valances mounted to be positive about the blind & curtain length. I hope to have pictures to post on Saturday of at least a couple of the windows with the blinds and curtains installed. I was sort of excited to show you the valances though, so until Saturday, just imagine blinds and curtains. :-)

I am writing a document of how I built the valances, and how I am making the Roman shades, and will post that when complete - I can't complete it until I have all the pictures to put into the document. I'll upload it as a PDF - hopefully on Saturday as well.

The valances are mounted with z-brackets, so will lift right off and store on the floor when my TM is closed. The way I am designing the shades & blinds, they will stay attached to the valances, but will be easily removed if needed. Please note that molding, etc is all still removed because of the remodel, and I haven't yet plugged the holes from removing all the old curtain rails & valances. So, here are the photos of the valances installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed window side.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	15135   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed window.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	15136   Click image for larger version

Name:	large window.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	15137  
Old 04-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Widedomain

Nice... Looking forward to the write-up!
Widedomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Curtains & blind

I have one set of curtains and one blind done, and was anxious to see how they will look. Ignore the fact that I haven't worked in the ends on the crocheted valance or the crocheted edging on the curtains, nor have I ironed the blind or the curtains yet. Hopefully it will all look a little less of a hot mess once that has happened. Although, admittedly, I was aiming for a certain look when I selected gauze for the curtains. I may hate myself after sewing all of them, because it's a pain to sew......

Anyway, also ignore the fact that I have a tarp hanging down off the roof of the TM outside the window.....

It's going to take me forever to make all the blinds, sew all the curtains, crochet all the valances & trim.

The whole wooden valance, blinds, curtains, all remain intact and the whole thing just lifts off the wall for storage.

I should be able to post the document with instructions, etc tonight - too nice out to sit inside on the computer, so I'll finish that up tonight to post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curtains1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	15145   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	15146   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	15147   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	15148   Click image for larger version

Name:	store.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	15149  

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default PDF Instructions for wooden valance and blinds

I've attached the instructions I wrote for the removable wooden valances and the roman blinds.

Hopefully these will be of some use to someone! :-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailmanor Curtain Replacement.pdf (7.75 MB, 105 views)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Widedomain

Thanks Holly! We have been looking for ideas...
Widedomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

And I'm already changing things..... ha ha. Was at Wallyworld yesterday, and they had microfiber sheet sets on clearance. Gray & white chevron stripes - perfect for my colors! So, I bought several sets, and am ripping out the elastic & seams on the fitted ones as I type this. I am going to make the curtains out of the sheet fabric, and give up on the gauze idea. I do like the 'flow' of the gauze, but it's just too much of a pain to sew.... I'll post pics when I get at least one set made, and I am sure it will look better than the pictures I already posted.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Changing curtains to sheet fabric

Sewed up four sets of curtains from the sheets I bought on Saturday, two more sets to go. I have two roman blinds done, four more to go. At least all the wooden valances are built!

I like the curtains made from the sheets a lot more. I may still use the gauze for the bed curtains, since I rarely close them anyway, and it's more decorative, to frame the bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kitchen window blind & curtain closed.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	6.35 MB
ID:	15182   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen window blind open curtains closed.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	6.33 MB
ID:	15183   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen window blind & cutain open.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	15184   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen window curtain closed blind open.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	15185  
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Looking great!

I never thought of making valances. These would make mounting blackout roller blinds a snap. The only problem is that my wife might want valances in the house first, then the trailer.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Looking great!

I never thought of making valances. These would make mounting blackout roller blinds a snap. The only problem is that my wife might want valances in the house first, then the trailer.
They open up all sorts of possibilities for blinds/curtains, etc - anything can be mounted on the underside, and depending on what you are mounting, there are cheap ways to do it - like using a dowel and two eye screws for a curtain rod, instead of a tension rod.

I won't expect the wooden valances to hold a lot of weight on the shelf at the top, because I don't know how much I trust that the screws holding the z-brackets won't rip out of the walls. That being said, the side brackets do help support the weight somewhat. But, it will be nice to have a place to put spices and other little things in the kitchen area above the counter; a couple of dvd's, cd's or paperback books in the living area; and things like flash light, reading glasses, cell phone, book, reading light in the bed area.

These were quick and easy to make since I wasn't going for a refined, finished look - I literally didn't sand anything, not even cut edges - just slapped two coats of paint on! So make some for the TM, using the excuse that you want to 'refine and perfect' the process first, before you tackle making some for the house! ;-)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Does the tubular aluminum framing go up either side of windows? lf so, hooks could be mounted into the structure rather than the skin. I wonder if a stud finder has any chance?

I have since answered this question: no, there is no aluminum framing other then the wall perimeter.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote