TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
AKIvisuals

Default '17 Highlander Hybrid as a tow vehicle??

Hi there. I don't currently own a TrailManor but I've been eyeing them for years. I love that they're small to tow yet spacious when opened up. At any rate, I bought a new 2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid for the gas economy since it's a daily driver for us. The tow rating is only #3500. My thoughts were that some of the smaller TrailManor trailers were under #3000 that I'd be able to tow one with that vehicle. Now I know that I'll get a ton of different responses to this question but I was wondering if this is really realistic or not. I'm hoping that I'd be able to enjoy pulling a 2720SD as I've got a line on a nice used one but I'm worried that my vehicle wouldn't be enough.

The specs on the 2017 Highlander Hybrid are:
Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 6,260 lbs
Horsepower: 306 hp

Thanks for any help you folks can bring my way!
AKIvisuals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
stormpeakco

Default Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIvisuals View Post
Hi there. I don't currently own a TrailManor but I've been eyeing them for years. I love that they're small to tow yet spacious when opened up. At any rate, I bought a new 2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid for the gas economy since it's a daily driver for us. The tow rating is only #3500. My thoughts were that some of the smaller TrailManor trailers were under #3000 that I'd be able to tow one with that vehicle. Now I know that I'll get a ton of different responses to this question but I was wondering if this is really realistic or not. I'm hoping that I'd be able to enjoy pulling a 2720SD as I've got a line on a nice used one but I'm worried that my vehicle wouldn't be enough.

The specs on the 2017 Highlander Hybrid are:
Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 6,260 lbs
Horsepower: 306 hp

Thanks for any help you folks can bring my way!
... seems likely near/OR below the margin that most TMOs would comfortably want to attempt for any significant distance (IMO)....but you're right you'll be receiving a number of opinions from some of the more experienced.

additional info. that may be helpful:
'17 THH equipped a tow package?
terrain/altitude where you wish to tow your future TM?
what model TM are you considering (even sans liquids, it doesn't take all that many dry essentials for the weight to add up in both the TM + TV)?
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

As stated, opinions are free... I wouldn't pull a 2720 with anything less than 4000lb tow rating.

I hate to tow just on the fringe or with very little margin for error. Stopping, pulling, braking safely is just too important. Loaded with gear, propane, battery, air conditioning, these things will weigh over 4000lbs.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Gwenne & Len

We have a regular Highlander, v6.......and it does fine. Tow capacity is 5000 lbs.......there is a member here, though, that tows with a hybrid......doesn't seem to complain. Hopefully you'll hear from them......
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIvisuals View Post
The tow rating is only #3500. My thoughts were that some of the smaller TrailManor trailers were under #3000 that I'd be able to tow one with that vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum!

That 3000 pound figure you refer to is called the Dry Weight - meaning the weight of the base trailer, before the manufacturer adds any options, and before the owner puts anything in it. Among the factory options, the heavy ones are the air conditioner, the awning, and the swing tongue if you get one. On older TMs, the spare tire and battery were also considered options, so it depends on what year you are looking at.

You will almost certainly put 300-500 pounds of "stuff" in the trailer as you get ready to go camping. Think food, clothes, dishes, tools, hoses and cords, bedding, propane in the tanks, random furniture (camp chairs, etc), television and stereo, and so forth. Water is a biggie if you pre-load it. Remember, water weighs 8.5 pounds per gallon, so 26 gallons of fresh water weighs about 220 pounds. You will need to travel without water whenever you can. As CycleGuy said, it is very easy to get the trailer weight up around 3800-4000 pounds. Before you take your first trip, it is important that you go to a CAT scale (catscale.com, about $10) and weigh your vehicle and trailer in ready-to-camp condition.

As for that 3500 pound tow rating, you need to review it carefully and look for the ASTERISK in the spec list. Most vehicle specs have an asterisk or footnote, and if you pursue it far enough (usually difficult to do), it says that the towing spec applies to a vehicle that is empty except for a 150-pound driver. If you add people and cargo to the vehicle, that weight must be subtracted directly from the stated tow rating. So as you set out on your camping trip, it is very easy to reduce the useful tow rating to 3000 pounds or so. Full disclosure - some Toyota owners say that this does not apply to Toyotas. I have not been able to confirm or deny. Again, it is up to you to do your due diligence.

Sadly, this all means that the weight of the trailer is higher than you think, and the capacity of your tow vehicle is lower than you think.

Finally, although the vehicle manufacturer gives you a single number for tow capacity (in this case 3500 pounds), it should be apparent that a car can tow more on flat land than it can in the mountains. In my opinion, there really should be two tow ratings, but that will never happen. Do you plan to stay in the flats, or do you have some mountain trips in mind?

In the end, it is up to you to balance your own risk tolerance, and the risk of possible damage to your vehicle, against your impression of the vehicle's capability and specs. Several of our members tow with 3500-pound-rated vehicles, and are happy with their choice. I'm sure that some of them will chime in here with their experiences.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

By the way, you have quoted the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). More important for towing is the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). You might find this in the Owner's Manual, or on the label in the driver's door frame.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Maybe this will help, from my 2720SL (sticker is often on the sink door).

Also note that the tongue weight for a single axle TM is often more than most. Mine was measured recently at 430lbs. Often the maximum recommended tongue weight is 10% of the towing capacity (my Jeep is 500/5000). Have also seen the max rating require a WDH.

Note the UVW should be as it left the factory and include options (like AC).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weightstickerno.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	14451  
Old 12-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We tow with a highlander with a tow rating of 5,000, like 285 hp. We felt the rear end drop was too much and went with a WDH. Does very well.

I think with a 2720 you will be 300 to 500lbs over the limit. But if all you are doing if flatlander towing, it should work. But if you are going to be towing in mountains most of the time, I would rethink it.

Does the hybrid have the auxiliary transmission cooler?? I think on the driver side with a flashlight, you look in around the fog light and the cooler is in front of the inner fender wall. If there is no aux cooler, I would not tow unless I had one installed.

I did tow our 2720 with a sienna with a 3,500 tow rating and it did well. I had added a very large aux trans cooler and air bags to the rear end.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
FujiPedaler

Default Not a good safty Idea

Hi all,

When we began looking at the T/M we had a Highlander Hybrid. We went to a dealer and wanted to test drive a 2720. He not only wouldn't let us test drive it with the Hybrid but said he "would not sell it" to us because it was too close to the specs and safety was a big issue. Also we just had to have the inverter replaced on it and the quote for replacement was $10,000 plus and we had not used it for towing anything.

We came out ok but the price was a big awakening.

So no, not a good idea. Yes you can pull the T/M with it but with no safety margin and excessive ware on the vehicle. Is the safety of your family more important than a few dollars then.....
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default I think we are the only ones towing with a HH

We’d been dreaming of owning a TM since 2003. At that time I saw the 2742 lb dry weight of the 2720 (QB) and figured we could tow it with our Caravan minivan. (#3500 tow rating) In February of 2015 we had enough money to order a new TM from the factory. For some reason my wife had at that time been interested in Highlanders. I hadn’t said anything to her, but the Highlander Hybrid intrigued me and I had been thinking of that for our tow vehicle, so I thought that was an interesting coincidence. So we started looking for a Highlander Hybrid to be our tow vehicle for when the trailer came in. We ended up buying a 2010 HH. Now we had the tow vehicle, just waiting for the trailer. During that time I discovered the TrailManor forum and started reading all the posts about tow vehicles. If I had done that before I bought the hybrid, I would have likely bought a regular Highlander rather than the hybrid. (We ended up having to buy a used 2720 because the factory couldn’t complete our order for the new one).

First few trips we towed without a WDH, but then I put the Eaz-Lift WDH on that came with the used trailer and things felt more stable, but the WDH itself was so heavy, I felt like I was adding 100 pounds onto the hitch to take off 200 pounds. So I went with the Anderson WDH. It’s much lighter.

All the while thinking (worrying) that I might have to trade the hybrid in for a regular Highlander. I kept asking at the dealership, “Am I going to be OK pulling at the #3500 limit?” they kept saying yes, just make sure you do the transmission service.

This fall we did a 31 day trip, starting in the Seattle area, going to Yellowstone, Bryce NP, Zion NP, LA California area, east of the Sierras and back. On the way out I stopped at a CAT scale. Fully loaded as we will ever be for the long trip, we were at #3520. Quite a bit of driving on grades in the Rockies and at high elevations. Absolutely no problems. We’d set the cruise at 60-65 and had no trouble keeping that going up grades. On another trip we had a freeway onramp that was up hill. After I finished merging I realized I was doing almost 80. I’ve never felt like I didn’t have enough power. In terms of braking it seems like it would not be different than a regular highlander. At any rate, one time on a mountain road going up hill I pulled over to let someone pass and realized the pullout was much shorter than I anticipated, so I had to do some emergency braking and I was fine.

We have the rear mounted hitch receiver, a fairly heavy duty bike rack, and 2 steel frame (heavy) bikes on the back. That adds to our total weight, but helps take some weight off the hitch. Padgett is right. It lists #392 for his model but actually it’s #430. So you would definitely need a WDH.

The SD dry weight is 2865 compared to my 2720 of 2742 - 123lbs heavier. You would have to be careful about packing. Bill, as usual, has great advice in his post.

The only thing now I worry about is transmission longevity. So far so good. I continue to get good reports from the dealership. If I have transmission problems I will trade in the hybrid for a regular Highlander, but I am optimistic I will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01759.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	5.55 MB
ID:	14452  

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote