TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Flood in TrailManor!

Our TM is our first RV, and we bought a hail-damaged unit at a great price, so that we could afford to screw it up during our learning process. Well, screw it up we did, although so far it seems not badly.

I'd gone right to sleep when we came home from dinner. The air conditioning was running, so we couldn't hear much else. At some point Valerie noticed that we'd left the water turned off. She turned it on and went to sleep. Without checking that all of the faucets were closed.

4 hours later, around 2:30 AM, I got up to find the bathroom faucet fully open and running, and water pooling in the bathroom, on the rear carpet, and in the kitchen area by the sink. Apparently we hadn't leveled the trailer perfectly (our refrigerator doesn't care about level) and the water didn't go forward of the sink.

The water would have been much deeper, but it was running out of the bottom of the trailer in one or two places despite my efforts to seal places that critters could enter. Perhaps from under the toilet.

I turned off the water and we dried all areas as much as possible with towels and dirty clothes.There was no water in cabinets or under drawers except for the bathroom wall cabinet and the back cabinet under the bed, and we dried them. I didn't look behind the converter at this point, leaving working with wet electrical equipment for the morning. This left the carpet still damp. We started a wash of the wet clothes and towels, opened windows and turned on the fan, and after I took a big melatonin, slept until morning.

In the morning the carpet was still wet and it was clear that the Masonite cabinetry in some areas or its paper surface had become wet or wicked water to a point up to an inch from the floor and was slightly water-stained. I decided to rip out the carpet. On picking up the carpet, it was clear that the padding was an open-core foam and was saturated like a sponge. It would never have dried properly without removal. Ripping up the carpet unraveled fiber near the staples, so we threw out the carpet and padding. With the carpet gone, everything else dried quickly. I pulled out the converter, and the area behind it was dry, so I put it back.

We drove back home with the bathroom exhaust fan running and left it that way in the trailer storage, on the battery and solar panel. Today I'll look for any remaining damage. I will replace the padding with closed-pore pad for outdoor carpet, and the carpet with an outdoor one. I am not replacing the front carpet yet, it remained dry and looks more difficult to replace because there's a lot of moulding to pull up and it seems to go under the front edge of the couch.

Obviously Valerie was horribly sorry about this. I retained my calm. Valerie is sure she won't forget this, and will be careful to check all valves after turning on water or gas supplies.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Exclamation

Sorry to read about your situation, it will work out.

Have you considered not doing carpet but replacing with a high quality 30 year linoleum, pergo or other engineered product?

I did it and many others on here have as well.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Bruce, yeah getting flooded out is not a good thing. I had a similar flood in my previous pup, but it was due to a sever storm that rolled thru while I was on vacation. The neighborhood got flooded. I ended up using a dehumidifier for several days, just to make sure I got as much moisture out of the pup. You might consider doing that. Never the less, I'm glad it wasn't worse.
This will now become a good camping story that you'll laugh at while sitting at the camp fire at night.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
fairweatherfisherman
Site Sponsor

Thanks for sharing this experience. I feel for you and Valerie. Something else to put on the checklist.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

So far, I am not seeing anything other than a hard-to-see water stain on the bottom inch of some of the Masonite. Unless something comes up, it looks like we got out of this one with not much more than ruined carpet and padding.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Tell Valerie....

I did the same thing once, I was checking that all the faucets worked well just after I had gotten my TM, so I had them all turned on to check them....only the stopper had fallen into the bathroom sink hole and plugged it up while I was turning on the water outside and it flooded the bathroom and I noticed that water was coming out the vent screen for the bathroom exhaust fan on the bottom of the trailer....YIKES! I ran in to discover the problem but sadly it had flooded the bathroom and the carpet out side. So I dried everything up the best that I could but didn't rip out the carpet. I just left my trailer open at my house in 100°+ Texas weather for about a week and all was fine, crisp, and dry as a bone...I guess there's something good to the scorchers of Texas in the summer.
So tell her not to beat herself up over this...it happens all the time...if people didn't make mistakes, the wouldn't be erasers on pencils....and besides, some of the best ideas come from mistakes....like the telephone!
ME
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote