TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
ccc6588

Default Need Help with New Oven

I checked out my 2004 3023 TM today with the AC connection so I could become more familar with all its function. I had problems with the Sharp Toaster Oven with Mircrowave (R-55TS).

It won't come on when hooked up to AC. The LCD never comes on. I finally found out where the outlet was. It is hidden behind the oven with no access. It was plugged in which I could see by peeping at the end of the propane stove. It actually had 2 outlets.

The problem is, I don't know if the outlet is dead or if the oven is a defect. Anyone have a suggestion? I read the Microwave manual over and over again and it appears that I should get the LCD to light up. But, it does not.

I called the dealer and we didn't have the best connection (2 cell phones; my TM not at my house) and he asked if I had it on AC and if it was plugged up. This one item, we did not check during check out. I think it is new and he is unfamiliar with its operation. I also checked the circuit breaker.

The Air Conditioner worked. The fan above the door worked. The furnace worked. The propane stove worked. All the indicators worked. I put some water through the holding tank and everything worked (before a trip, I will sanitize). I didn't have time to check out the toilet.

I made a few other quality observations which I will write to TM about. There were some metal (aluminum) shavings in the rear storage compartment (from trimming the aluminum flush to the styrofoam in that area (definite laceration hazard) and a layer of wood dust underneath the table. Some of the wiring were exposed. The writing on the circuit breaker could have been more legible. Quality means attention to details and someone needs to vaccum or clean up after these types of jobs or come up with an engineering solution. The exposed wiring does not give a warm and fuzzy feeling and if I had to guess was done by a very inexperienced worker. Extra care should be taken when writing on the circuit breakers. All these are very minor details that make a world of difference.

They also need to evaluate the placement of the outlet for the oven. It is hidden behind the oven with no access. It appears, in order to get to it some of the wood has to be removed which appeared to be bonded with adhesive (can't say it was seamless). It would have made more sense to have the outlet exposed so that at least a basic troubleshooting could be performed like plugging it into an outlet that you know worked with an extention cord (all the other outlets worked).

Otherwise, I am very happy with the TM. But, the feedback is going back to TM so they could continuously improve their wonderful product.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
hal

Default Re:Need Help with New Oven

CC
Just a thought, and maybe a wild one at that. Have you checked the other plugs for being hot. I think they may all be controlled by a gfi (ground falt plug) One outlet will have a button (red?) that may need to be pushed in or reset. I believe that all the 110v outlets are effected by this one with the reset button.

Hal
Old 03-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
jniles

I had many of the same things and I really believe it is the dealer's responsibility to clean and prep the unit for delivery, not the manufacturer's. My oven toaster is the other brand, Rival, and no problems there however it has to be pulled out of the cabinet to reach the plug just like yours, if that is possible. Be sure to take some 5 and 10 amp ACG (glass tube type) fuses for the toilet in case the 5 amps keep blowing like mine. The factory just had my dealer use the 10's and it works fine now.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
bell
Site Sponsor

My new oven ,like yours, has a separt breaker in the switch box.See if it is on.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
ccc6588

Is this housed where all the other circuit breakers and fuses are located. That is right between the shower and rear bed? I think there were 3 or 4 circuit breakers and maybe 10 or so fuses. Let me know if this is the area you are talking about.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
ccc6588

Called Sharp just to confirm that I have read the microwave manual correctly. When they asked for the Serial #, I found out that TM had listed a Magic Chef model on the Recreational Vehicle Data Card. Very strange and don't know what to make of it.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #7
live2shopnc

Let me know what you find out about your oven. I should pick mine up the first of April from Auto Ventures also. It should have the same oven. Maybe I should call the factory and see if they can relocate the receptical as mine has not been built yet. Also did you run out of time on the pick-up inspection or did they not take the time to show everything. I figure it will take at least all day when I pick up mine.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
bell
Site Sponsor

The box inthe hall at the foot of the tub.Check the lidfor a label.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
ccc6588

For LivetoShopNC:

Yes it would be a very good idea to have TM put the outlet so that you have access. This will be the cabinet right next to the MW. All they have to do is turn the outlet around and make a small hole to fit the plug through. Of course you will lose storage space about the size of a MW plug plus an inch or two of electrical cord.

I talked to TM and they suggested I open the stove top to see if I had access that way. It pops open and exposes nothing but shiny metal so no access. I couldn't believe the mess in there (vaccum needed again). In order to get to it, I have to removed a lot of screws and fitting. It appears this is the only way to have access. It didn't look all that difficult.

As for Auto Venture. I recommend you go on a weekday for the pick up and have EDFelkers checklist for the TM pick up. I was tired from partying the night before and really did not pay as close attention as I should have. I also did not want to impose on them too much since they had customers. I think they showed me just about everything else. My retention however was poor.

I also did not have the benefit of this website at the time. But I am learning a lot.

If you hear about the guy who got blown up by propane explosion and electrocuted to death in his TM. That will be me. That's what happens when you don't have perfect quality the first time. Just kidding. I know what I am doing, I think.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
ccc6588

[quote author=jniles link=board=22;threadid=1765;start=msg12425#msg1242 5 date=1079321126]
I had many of the same things and I really believe it is the dealer's responsibility to clean and prep the unit for delivery, not the manufacturer's. My oven toaster is the other brand, Rival, and no problems there however it has to be pulled out of the cabinet to reach the plug just like yours, if that is possible. Be sure to take some 5 and 10 amp ACG (glass tube type) fuses for the toilet in case the 5 amps keep blowing like mine. The factory just had my dealer use the 10's and it works fine now.
[/quote]

Just to let you know that in the TM manual it says not to use a fuse higher than the rating since it may cause an electrical fire. I am wondering if there is a 6.5 amp fuse available for you.