TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #11
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default use of tarps

The use of plastic tarps isn't a good idea as heat will build up and cause cracking of the vents and A/C cover. This happened on a motor home we had. The breathable covers are the best idea.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Mine is in the shade (now on a 10'x25' pad).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ingrotto2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	11568  
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
joneserr

Thanks everyone!

I am narrowing down my search and thinking either a used highwall tent trailer (most likely Fleetwood Highlander 14-foot box) or the Trailmanor 2720 (2003+). I really like the Trailmanor as it seems to have a quick setup time. Plus I think they are really cool! I was able to look at some new models at the local dealer.

Just taking my time and making sure I do all my research. The way I would store may be an issue with the front down hill.

I have an older Coleman TT and have stored it in the same spot for 10 years with a polypro cover. I think the slope helps shed the water in this case. It has no shade and sun hits on it when does come out. The polypro covers works great but only lasts about 2 to 3 years. This year two wind storms destroyed it after one year.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you park nose-down, and water runs down the rear roof and pools against the seals between the shells, the seals should not leak. But "should not" is not entirely comforting, at least to me. In your situation, I would buy an 8' foam log, either square or round cross section, maybe 6" or so in diameter. Put it on the rear roof, just behind the seal, and stretch your cloth cover over it as you cover the trailer. This will force surface water to flow back and off the sides of the trailer, rather than pooling against the joint between the front and rear shells.

The above is just a mental picture, of course. If you can't find an 8-foot log, buy two 4-foot logs. If you can't get 6 inches, then 4 inches is probably adequate, though larger is better than smaller. Buy a rigid foam, rather than soft. If you really don't like the log idea, then how about a piece of plywood 12" wide by 8-feet long, covering the seal area under the cloth cover? I don't like this idea as much as the log idea, because the sharp edges of the plywood will tend to rip and shred the cloth cover, especially if there is any wind.

But you get the idea - redirect the water away from the joint, so that it can't pool there. By the way, you can buy the logs, called "foam rollers", in a sporting goods store, but they are really expensive. Look elsewhere.

ScrubJay's caution against plastic tarps agrees with everything I've ever read. Buy something that breathes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
joneserr

Thank you that makes a lot sense
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #16
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think when I read the my owner manual. It said when storing, to have the back a little lower for rain to run off the back. As other said, I think the concern is the bag seal.

I have used tarps for other campers with a support frame I built with PCV pipe. A good tarp is good for about 9 months. Just figure you need one every winter. I like the idea of a breathable tarp better then a general construction tarp.

The only thing I don't like about storing any camper outside uncovered is it gets dirty and it's hard to get clean.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Exactly, parked with shade and element protection (fence on two sides and dense foliage with a nice canopy) all the tarp is for is to keep leaves and assorted sticky droppings off. Under $100 to replace every few years is no big deal. I do believe that the shade is important. Is essentally in a natural carport.

At home it is never parked on dirt/sand, before I had the 10x25 pad poured for it, it was parked on 18x18x2" pavers (now put pavers on pad so tires are never in water even during a deluge).

Others may need different protection but it works for me.