TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Lecompte

Default Future Newbie Seeking Some Direction

Hello, and thank you for this forum. My home is in South Louisiana where it gets very hot in the summer. I am doing lots of research for a travel trailer. Currently in my early 60's and contemplating at some point in the future to head to the Smoky Mountain area every summer to escape this heat. I realize it gets hot in that area also but at least in the evenings it cools off somewhat. And I simply love that part of the country.

Here is my biggest dilemma/hurdle/obstacle that is in my way. I own a 125cc scooter that I love to ride in the mountains and back roads. Because my tow vehicle at this time is a SUV (Mountaineer V-6), how and where can I possibly put my scooter on the trailer in my annual planned trek to the Smoky Mountains?

Have looked at all the Trail Manor forums, etc. and don't think rear attachment is feasible. Do I explore placing it on the front bumper of the tow vehicle?

This is a great forum with wonderful contributors and reading even if I am not in my camper yet. Must admit I have not seen this opportunity that I have described anywhere on the forum. Please don't suggest another tow vehicle as that is obvious and maybe something that will eventually have to happen. My current tow vehicle is in excellent condition and PAID FOR!!!!! Have even given some thought about renting a truck to haul the scoot in the back and pull the travel trailer, but that is more added expense.

Your thoughts and comments are truly appreciated.

Lecompte
Lecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I would certainly try to exhaust any front mount options first. I googled that idea with scooter and found pictures of others doing it. Only issue I saw was that I do not think you would want the handle bars on the driver's side.

As for putting it inside a TM, remember they fold down. So, it could not stand higher than the fold down dimensions for the model you would get. Also, I would be very reluctant to want anything with gas and oil inside my TM. You also would most likely have to remove the handle bars each time you tried to put it in....way too much hassle I think. You almost sound like the ideal customer for a toy hauler.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Agree with comments above. Aside from a different TV, the option of loading it on a carrier to the front of the current TV appears to be the only option. On my TM unit, it came pre owned to me and has a trailer ball on my rear bumper. I believe the previous owner towed a small aluminum fishing boat. That tandem tow is not something I've ever really considered. The tongue weight on the rear bumper for a bicycle rack is an issue that the factory suggests we don't do back there so can't imagine a motorcycle trailer. The TM is set up to have a weighty hitch to reduce sway and any altering by adding weight to the rear bumper is not recommended. As you say, maybe in the future you may move to a PU truck. I routinely carry my heavy cruiser motorcycle in my truck bed and tow my TM. Just returned from Big Bend NP 10 days ago with that combo, 1300 miles round trip. 13-14 MPG with first generation Tundra with 4.7v8.

I've got a small vintage 500cc motorcycle that weighs less than 350lbs. I would guess your 125cc bike would be around 200lbs? Sounds doable on the front of your TV. I would recommend you research the redistribution of weight on the front axle and how that changes the steering dynamics while towing as well. Someone smarter than me may come along here shortly and offer advice in that specific area. In your post, you refer to mounting to the front bumper. I'm sure you mean to say using an appropriate size receiver hitch with equally appropriate carrier that is mounted to the frame of your TV.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As mentioned, you can have a front hitch receiver installed on your Mountaineer, and it will be nearly invisible. Make it a Class III hitch - you can then slide a scooter carrier into the receiver. Solves your immediate problem, and there is a hidden benefit. If you are like most of us, you will eventually need to maneuver your TM into a small garage or side yard. Guess what - it is MUCH easier to maneuver a trailer if you can hook it to the front of your tow vehicle instead of the rear. No need for an expensive WDH up front, either. Just a $15 WalMart hitch will get this done for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
Tunces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As mentioned, you can have a front hitch receiver installed on your Mountaineer, and it will be nearly invisible. Make it a Class III hitch - you can then slide a scooter carrier into the receiver. Solves your immediate problem, and there is a hidden benefit. If you are like most of us, you will eventually need to maneuver your TM into a small garage or side yard. Guess what - it is MUCH easier to maneuver a trailer if you can hook it to the front of your tow vehicle instead of the rear. No need for an expensive WDH up front, either. Just a $15 WalMart hitch will get this done for you.

Bill
Bingo!!!, this is the way to go. My neighbor has this type of set-up and it's worked for him going on 8 years now.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Also has the advantage of counterbalancing the tongue weight of the TM. I recall a number of small Hondas in my yout that had folding handlebars. I would not want to carry anything with a gas tank in the TM, they are called "aromatic hydrocarbons" for a reason.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Lecompte and welcome to the TM Forum. The Smokies are a great place to camp. My sister lives in Knoxville and her family spends a lot of time in the N.P.

I agree with the front mount for your scooter; however because of the size of your current TV (tow vehicle), I wouldn't get any model larger than a 2720. It will be a slow pull up those grades towing with your Mountaineer and adding an extra 150 to 200 lbs. on top of your gear, supplies and passengers will strain your weight limit.

Keep us posted on your search and feel free to ask a lot of questions, for we all did in the beginning.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Not with a scooter, but many years ago, I carried 5 bikes on the front of a full size van, when I towed a 31' TT.

The front receiver sounds good for a rack or platform that slides in the 2' receiver. Plus I like the benefit of pushing the TM in the garage that Bill mentioned.

I would do some measuring to make sure the scooter will not be a concern with your vision.

PS: check to make sure the Mountaineer has the tow preparation package.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

or a 2619 if you want a King bed.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Padgett,
you're confusing the newer 2417's with the 2619. The 2619's have the 3/4 full beds.

Lacompte,

This is a great forum and I can't blame ya for wanting to stay with your current vehicle. Best of luck to you in your pending decision.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote