TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
Happytrails

Default Re:many questions about TrailManor

One thing to consider if you have really tight quarters for where you're to store your TM at home is something that was mentioned a while back on this board. A hitch on the *front* of your TV. My driveway is EXTREAMLY tight, and really hard to get my tm into because I have nothing but woods across the street, and a rock wall on either side of the driveway. I am seriously considering this option as from what people have said, this makes it a LOT easier to park the TM in a tight place. Another option if you have one of those quad runners, which in your case, very may since you live out in the woods kinda, and due to the nature of your hubby's work, is to put a hitch ball on it to park your TM at home. I'm in the auto business, and I happen to know a LOT of garages use them to move dead cars around in and out of bays etc...till they can be repaired. At least this is the *best* option for most small garages over an electric hitch jack as it's about the same cost, and you can do a LOT more with it than simply move trailers/vehicles around with it.

One more point to consider is how much time are you going to spend in your trailer? If travelling over the road, and you wind up in an area where it's raining for a week or so, you DEFINATELY want to consider that small, but IMPORTANT aspect, simply that of livibility. Do you two want to be constantly crawling over each other for a week straight in one of the smaller trailers? When ya look at one of the smaller models of trailers out there like the A-Liner, both of ya get inside, along with any pets, and picture being stuck inside for a week straight........that should hit home really quick. We have the equivelent of a 3023, and when we're sitting on the couch watching TV or something, it just seems huge to us!

Towability........We tow with a 1991 S-10 blazer with a 4.3L, and can hardly tell it's back there unless on a steep long grade. It tows as easy as my much smaller boat does! While towing, I get the same mileage outta my TV as I do driving around town which is about 17mpg. You might want to reconsider the TV as well due to the nature of your husband's work.......Photographing nature.....a 4wd TV will get you further out there for better pictures than a full sized van will, and as my rear seat's collapsible, it gives me PLENTY of cargo room.

Anyway, just a few thoughts that I noticed nobody mentioned prior, thought I'd throw them out there.......hope it helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 11-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #12
Windbreaker

I just had a thought. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a TM but did you look at the class "b" motorhomes? If you are getting a full size van they are not much larger and some even have full time beds. I've heard a lot of good things about the smallest Winnie. Also a few bad, like replacement parts for the motor are very costly. But it might be something to think about. :-\
Old 11-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
OrangeKid

I checked out the Base Camp trailer before ordering our 2619 TM back in June. They have a web site but I could never get them to respond to my emails or requests for information. Finally they did respond but it was after I ordered the TM.

I recently received an email that they have a sale with a free awning. They only manufacture one model at this time.

They seem to be around $5K cheaper than the 2619 TM but they have fewer features. For example the shower/bathroom is surrounded by a curtain, no solid walls. Also there is no sink in the bath. There does not appear to be a wardrobe.

However it does have a generator option from the factory which the TM does not have.

It may be a viable alternative for someone looking for a pop-up with solid walls.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #14
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Another option for close-quarter trailer ops (assuming you are doing so on relatively level surfaces--paved or unpaved) are the little tow motors used for light airplanes. They are designed to move airplanes that weigh up to 6,000# and can be easily adapted to move trailers with a piece of 1/2" x 12" steel rod and a hose clamp.

With this rig you can move the trailer anywhere you want it to go and turn any corner you want to turn without any additional space requirements for the TV. Both gasoline and electric units are available, depending on need. I've used both extensively and recommend the electric model if 110v AC power is available.

The tow motors have enough power to move the trailers on fairly steep grades, but I would recommend doing so only if you have chockers standing by on each main wheel in the event of a mechanical failure, operator clumsiness or other oops.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:33 PM   #15
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Check out Trailer.Tow at "www.wingwalker.co.za/" Lighweight, folds up for storage and relatively inexpensive. Cheers, Dick Coombs
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:52 PM   #16
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Forgive my earlier post about "inexpensive" Trailer Tow device. I was reading (in a "senior moment&quot the shipping price vice the base price of the device. FYI 6.91 Rand equals $1.00 U.S. Sorry, Dick Coombs :'(
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #17
arknoah

The Base Camp RV reminds me of the Apache, the old hard side pop up, which I used to see many years ago. I do notice that it has a "wet" versus a "dry" shower, and it doesn't seem to be as wide as the TM, even though it is supposed to be wider. Am I missing something?