TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2003, 07:18 AM   #11
arknoah

Default Re:Rust on new models

Mine is a 2001
Old 12-12-2003, 06:24 PM   #12
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

We looked at a used 1998 unit that had lived near Houston, TX. Every piece of hardware on it was rusted. Even the top half of the door was corroded.

Nothing that a little time and money wouldn't fix, but I share tslon's view that units are somewhat more rust-prone than one might expect for the premium price. Somebody said their little hook that holds the bottom half of the door in place when folded was badly rusted and they couldn't figure out how to change it.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:48 PM   #13
tslon

I have to say I just saw a 2001 2720 and could not find any rust! All the bolts, screws, threads and clips were in great condition. It was a complete flip from the 2003! The only rust was expected slight surface rust on the under frame. It had one owner with a large family.

One problem this TM had was the linoleum floor was curled at both ends and bubbled in the middle. Has anyone experienced this? The dealer did say they would take care of this but I just wanted to make sure if this was common or not. The linoleum was the full floor length (no carpet). I did not see water damage at all (first thing that came to mind). Could this just be due to humidity. I know linoleum hates moisture.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
Simon3xUD

Quote:
I have to say I just saw a 2001 2720 and could not find any rust! One problem this TM had was the linoleum floor was curled at both ends and bubbled in the middle. Has anyone experienced this? The dealer did say they would take care of this but I just wanted to make sure if this was common or not. The linoleum was the full floor length (no carpet). I did not see water damage at all (first thing that came to mind). Could this just be due to humidity. I know linoleum hates moisture.
I am looking at TM (same year/model) with the same problem. I have not seen the unit yet but the salesperson I spoke to said they didn't see any signs of water damage. I'm told I could buy the unit for $9,900 but I'm not sure if it's that good a deal given the floor situation. The only options it's supposed to have are A/C (where is that found in a TM?) and an awning.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insight? Any/all would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sally
Old 03-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
jniles

The A/C in a 2001 should be mounted on the front roof shell. It may have the low profile unit.

If the floor covering is just coming unglued without any subfloor damage it can be replaced with new covering quite reasonably. It certainly is not expensive to re-glue as long as that is all it needs. This type work is relatively eas, even fun for some, and certainly not rocket science.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 PM   #16
jniles

PS: what's this got to do w/rust?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:54 AM   #17
Mark

I think rusty bolts, washers and nuts are inevitable...even with stainless steel hardware. Most of the fastening points are mating an aluminiun substrate with a steel fastener. I'm no metalurgist but I think there is an electrochemical reaction between different metals.

We noticed this when we were shopping and had our dealer arrange to have the factory replace all the rusty hardware (along with some other problems we noticed) as part of our purchase contract. That's been a year now and over the winter the rust has returned in a few places. We would be interested in any ideas to solve this.

Mark and Mary Ann in NC
Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 AM   #18
Cateye
Cateye

If you will send me your e-mail address, I will give you some other things to look out for...
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #19
Carol
Site Sponsor

Re: location of AC on 2001 models. Our 2001 2720SL has side mounted AC, in a cabinet next to the stove. I believe that all the 2720's from 2001 have the side AC units.

Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #20
Windbreaker

Mary Ann, you are right, it is a metal thing. Any of the guys here who work with aircraft can give detailed info. I had a friend who told me about this years ago when I was adding some hardware to a truck. He went into great detail explaining the whole process. Bottom line was put any two metals together and you will get oxidation/rust.