TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Scottie Dogs

[QUOTE=PopBeavers;96146]I rarely use the awning. It tore in the third year. I repaired it last fall and have not used it since. We use a free standing canopy every day, either for shade of for protection from a light drizzle. We sometimes take it from camp to the ATV trail head.

Hi-

If you strap the awning down cross ways it will not go any where. We are in the mountains with gusts up to 40 mph, and the strap is wonderful, it has a spring on one side at the bottom of the strap for a little give, we got it at camping world many, many years ago plus I tilt it for rain, just perfect. The TM will be blown over first before the awning goes, 4 very, very long nail spikes on each side in the ground on a slant. (See picture to view the strap going across the awning)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	7653  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder1974 View Post
So would you consider the polar cub if trailmanor is willing to swap it out instead of the polar mach? its only 9,000 btu versus 13,000 btu but I believe the Honda Generator will run it.
I have only performed limited testing at sea level, but I think that if I turn everything off, including the converter, so that the only thing drawing 120v power is the a/c, then my Honda 2000 will run the a/c.

It works at elevation 200 feet for an hour, cycling on and off any number of times. If I do not disconnect the converter then the a/c will not recycle at all. It trips the Honda circuit breaker immediately.

Above 5,000 feet I do not need a/c.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
chowder1974

Can you run the fridge on propane with this set up? or does it need some electric power to run?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Can you run the fridge on propane with this set up? or does it need some electric power to run?
I seem to recall - and I could be wrong - that the fridge does draw a little power when running on propane, but it's negligible - I want to say maybe a hundred milliamps at most. You could probably run it for months on a single charge of the TM battery if it was the only thing connected. So I wouldn't include it in any battery or genset calculations.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
chowder1974

Dave,

Can the fridge run on propane and draw the electric power it needs from the battery with the converter turned off as mentioned above when running the AC on generator?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
PopBeavers

My awning failure was that the fabric tore for about 18 inches where the fabric loops over the little rope and is stitched. The stitching results in perforated fabric that is easier to tear than before all of the holes

Awning tensionors would probably not have helped. were put in it.

[QUOTE=Scottie Dogs;96157]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I rarely use the awning. It tore in the third year. I repaired it last fall and have not used it since. We use a free standing canopy every day, either for shade of for protection from a light drizzle. We sometimes take it from camp to the ATV trail head.

Hi-

If you strap the awning down cross ways it will not go any where. We are in the mountains with gusts up to 40 mph, and the strap is wonderful, it has a spring on one side at the bottom of the strap for a little give, we got it at camping world many, many years ago plus I tilt it for rain, just perfect. The TM will be blown over first before the awning goes, 4 very, very long nail spikes on each side in the ground on a slant. (See picture to view the strap going across the awning)

Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Dave,

Can the fridge run on propane and draw the electric power it needs from the battery with the converter turned off as mentioned above when running the AC on generator?
I would think so, since it would just run off the battery. That's what it would do when the TM is not connected to shore power, and the converter simply supplies 12VDC to the battery and the DC distribution panel. I'm not certain the fridge needs power while on propane - I may be thinking of a different fridge that has a auto-reigniter.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Regarding the AC unit, as posted here, location is a large factor. In the northeast where humidity is a factor, I just cannot even think for a moment how awful any trailer would be with a solar load of the sun and then the impossibility of escaping humidity. I had a tent camper and if it was humid, it didn't matter what the fantastic fan pulled in, the cooling effect was nil.

So for me, the AC unit runs on nearly every camp out we go on. The heat strip is nice in the morning when I'm not boondocking.

I also agree with the other posts regarding the options that are roof mounted. It is worth having the antenna and AC due to the high cost involved with changing your mind later. All the options I purchased have "no regrets" and actually have a "thank God I bought that option" aspect to them. This includes tinted windows.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
Regarding the AC unit, as posted here, location is a large factor. In the northeast where humidity is a factor, I just cannot even think for a moment how awful any trailer would be with a solar load of the sun and then the impossibility of escaping humidity. I had a tent camper and if it was humid, it didn't matter what the fantastic fan pulled in, the cooling effect was nil.
I always find this to be an entertaining topic.

We normally camp at 5,000 feet. I can easily go higher up to nearly 9,000 feet. I might be tempted to use the furnace briefly in the morning, even in July, just to take the chill off above 8,000 feet.

According to weather.com, my favorite place to camp currently has a humidity of 31 percent. I have no idea if that is high or low. Humidity at home is 60 percent, so I guess 31 is low.

I have never found anywhere in the US that has better weather than where I live. And after living here or 59 years I see no reason to downgrade local weather.

Anyone that is required to live in uncomfortable weather has my sympathy. I could not tolerate it. We all get to choose our weather.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
moaboy

Scottie,
That is one BIG strap!

And yes, I think 9,000 BTU would do the job in most cases. I camped for a few days at mid 90's, no shade, and my AC cooled my 2720 on low. Humidity was high, but not tropical. Again, depends on where you are going to be doing a majority of your camping. The smaller unit may be quieter as well. That is one of the few aspects I don't like about my TM, the ac shakes the trailer when the compressor kicks on.