TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
looktme

Default Before Buying a 2720 ?

We found a 2007 2720 we want to buy. Before we pick it up what should we check on. Everything looks god on the inside. But it has been stored(covered but outside) in phoenix.

The tires look good but are original so I'm assuming I should replace them.
If the holding tanks have been dry for a while should I worry about seals or leaks?

Just wondering a checklist of things I should look at before I hand over the check!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
TM_Matt

Hopefully you get a few replies but here my prescription:

1. Do a search for an RV PDI checklist (pre-delivery inspection) - there are many out there and generally will have more than a normal bloke like me would know to check.
2. Download the "Mike and Kelly Trailmanor Manual" - read the parts about setup - heck read whole thing if you can. There's a couple youtube videos which show TM setup in horrific detail - about 5 min or so. Watch those, too.
3. Have the seller demonstrate every function - use your instincts - if it doesn't smell right - trust that. Then you run through the setup with the seller watching.
4. Don't hand over a dollar until you are satisfied with all outcomes.

Virtually every function can be tested real time - except the fridge. If that can be started the night before inspection, then that would help. Other than that, you can see the tanks filled, turn on the water heater (even that can be tested relatively quickly), etc.

It won't be perfect. You can actually go to a tire place to have them inspect the tires. Essentially they will look for cracks both on the walls and between the treads. If they look clean, they will say they are fine. But then it's up to you. Tires follow their own schedules. If they are "china bombs", replace them. You'll thank yourself later.

It will be an adventure, sometimes trying, you'll still be dialing it in for at least 6 mo after you get it. It's all part of the fun.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
rumbleweed

If it is a 2007 and tires and battery are original, plan on replacing them. If you plan long trips and taking lots of stuff, you might upgrade the wheels to 15" and get load range D tires. Have owner run fridge in mode you plan to use it ( propane or elect ). run AC it should cool wuickly.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Riwright
TrailManor Master

One thing you can do to protect yourself is get discount on the price to cover "surprises." Since a private party does not have a professional go over the trailer and offer a warranty on it that means that you will be on the hook for unknown issues (and there WILL be unknown issues.)

I bought a 3124KS recently and had to do a few things.

Propane regulator blew (it worked fine when I got the trailer)
A/C blower motor and start capacitor (also worked fine when tested)
Tires are out of date code (I didn't even know to check this when I bought it)

The discount I got off of the valuation of the trailer more than covered these things.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
happybeebob

One thing to remember if it is reasonably priced and everything checks out don't try to dicker a lot because it may disappear before your eyes. Those are the ones that go quickly.

Bob
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
JJenkins

Where can I get a copy of Mike and Kelley's manuel?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJenkins View Post
Where can I get a copy of Mike and Kelley's manuel?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2472

Tim
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

When I was looking to buy used found this post.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878

There is a list of posts there on buying used. A little overwhelming but lots of information.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote