TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
boze man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks Marc!

Dont think it is going to matter as my 8x8 is 8 high which is perfect but really only 7'10" or 94"...the 8' door loses an inch on each side due to the trim....I just think it is to tight

I have a double bay but the height is only 7'...comical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
Bill
Site Team
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Posts: 9,496
Default

I'm thinking that 7 feet (84 inches) of height is plenty.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

If the limit is set by the door, rather than the header - the door can be raised.

Bill
__________________
2020 2720QS (aka 2720SL)
2014 Ford F-150 4WD 5.0L
Bill's Tech Stuff album
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
jmburg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Again,

We too came from a pop-up history, and I especially missed the openness of the pop-up. However, I was amazed at how little time it took for me to get past that. The windows in the SL have a great visibility and openness for a hardwall trailer. The solid or near solid walls of the Trail Manor extend our camping season down here in Texas significantly. Plus the bathroom and shower facilities are a great feature for the Trail Manor.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of research and thinking about this. I hope that whatever decision you make, that you enjoy many years of enjoyable camping experiences. One last thought, I would definitely check out the tires and replace them if you have any reservations about their being road worthy. Please check out the threads on this site about tires.

jmburg
Tyler, Tx
05 2720 SL
2004 Dodge truck 4.7 V-8
Depressing Fuel Economy
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
ThePair
TrailManor Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,059
Default

Ok, my trim has a rubber "stick out" part which is flexible, and then the part that is nailed to the wood, which is inflexible. When I measure from one inflexible side to the other, I'm just about 7' 11". I know that certain parts on the sides of the TM, like the hold down latches, will push the flexible part as the TM goes in and out, but if I'm centered correctly then nothing is scraping on the inflexible part. If your 7' 10" is measuring from a flexible part to the other, you could potentially do it, because that's about all I have from the flex edges. If that measure is to inflexible trim, you might be able to do it, but the alignment would have to be absolutely perfect. I have a little bit of wiggle room with my dimensions--it's close but not impossibly so.

Trim is removable, too, and just making a small section removable is another option. The main tight parts are the lights and the hold-down latches, which I open for space purposes, so you could just engineer two small sections of removable trim on each side, and pop em in and out as needed. That was going to be my solution if I couldn't squeeze in due to trim, but I could, so I didn't have to

I'll be getting the TM out within the next few days, weather permitting, and I can try to get shots of the clearance if that will help.
__________________
2009.5 2720SL
2006 Toyota Sienna
2018 Audi Q7
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
brulaz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmburg View Post
We too came from a pop-up history, and I especially missed the openness of the pop-up. However, I was amazed at how little time it took for me to get past that. The windows in the SL have a great visibility and openness for a hardwall trailer. The solid or near solid walls of the Trail Manor extend our camping season down here in Texas significantly. Plus the bathroom and shower facilities are a great feature for the Trail Manor.
ditto, even with our upright Elkmont. These things are very bright and breezy inside, but are even better on those days when you don't want to be that close to nature: rain, snow, bugs, bears, whatever.

Like jmburg says, you can go places and do things you would never have done before.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #26
boze man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm thinking that 7 feet (84 inches) of height is plenty.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

If the limit is set by the door, rather than the header - the door can be raised.

Bill
hey bill....thanks for the reply...our limit is set by the frame/trim...i can push the door above easily but it is 84" to the top of the header

yeah i think it will fit but the wife would prefer it in the single bay...also i not sure if the 2005 2720sl had the lowprofile a/c? i prob need to talk to the owner and take some more measurements.

i also would (if not already installed) add a factory lift kit and 15' so that prob adds another 3-4"....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
boze man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmburg View Post
Hi Again,

We too came from a pop-up history, and I especially missed the openness of the pop-up. However, I was amazed at how little time it took for me to get past that. The windows in the SL have a great visibility and openness for a hardwall trailer. The solid or near solid walls of the Trail Manor extend our camping season down here in Texas significantly. Plus the bathroom and shower facilities are a great feature for the Trail Manor.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of research and thinking about this. I hope that whatever decision you make, that you enjoy many years of enjoyable camping experiences. One last thought, I would definitely check out the tires and replace them if you have any reservations about their being road worthy. Please check out the threads on this site about tires.

jmburg
Tyler, Tx
05 2720 SL
2004 Dodge truck 4.7 V-8
Depressing Fuel Economy
I am probably over-thinking this but as my wife knows that is the way i operate...analysis-paralysis...but to my credit it has probably kept me from some impulse purchases.

Will def replace the tires esp if they 14's...but they did look good....not sure if they are the orginals if so they 5+yr old...yikes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #28
boze man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Ok, my trim has a rubber "stick out" part which is flexible, and then the part that is nailed to the wood, which is inflexible. When I measure from one inflexible side to the other, I'm just about 7' 11". I know that certain parts on the sides of the TM, like the hold down latches, will push the flexible part as the TM goes in and out, but if I'm centered correctly then nothing is scraping on the inflexible part. If your 7' 10" is measuring from a flexible part to the other, you could potentially do it, because that's about all I have from the flex edges. If that measure is to inflexible trim, you might be able to do it, but the alignment would have to be absolutely perfect. I have a little bit of wiggle room with my dimensions--it's close but not impossibly so.

Trim is removable, too, and just making a small section removable is another option. The main tight parts are the lights and the hold-down latches, which I open for space purposes, so you could just engineer two small sections of removable trim on each side, and pop em in and out as needed. That was going to be my solution if I couldn't squeeze in due to trim, but I could, so I didn't have to

I'll be getting the TM out within the next few days, weather permitting, and I can try to get shots of the clearance if that will help.
Marc...thanks for the help with the measurements! awesome!...I am 7'10" to the hard trim on the garage door, no flexible rubber for me...if ya pop her out this weekend and remember to take a pic or 2 that would be great.

So to understand you correctly...you can only fit in with your awning mod and led light mod?

Will look at the removable trim option...easy to do....but more like making a square peg fit in a round hole....more thinkin in order.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
boze man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
ditto, even with our upright Elkmont. These things are very bright and breezy inside, but are even better on those days when you don't want to be that close to nature: rain, snow, bugs, bears, whatever.

Like jmburg says, you can go places and do things you would never have done before.
The more i think about the TM the more i like it. I like the light weight, hardsided, ease of setup and the potential to store in the garage...well almost store in garage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
KevinP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Mr. Boze, I have a 2005 2720SL, with the lift kit, and 15" tires. It does have the low profile A/C, which is probably what TM was putting on all the '05 models. My TM height is 80.5", my garage entry height is 83". The overall trailer width is 96.25". If I was to do the modifications described elsewhere on this forum by thepair, my trailer width could be reduced for storage to 7'10". My garage has a roll up door that sets back inside the frame, and is a little wider than the frame. If i had needed to, i could have removed the trim and put the seal on the backside of the frame instead to gain an extra inch overall. However, i'm putting it in a double bay. I back it in at an angle toward one side wall, and turn the front end of the trailer over toward the wall at the end, so the trailer ends up tucked into the recess behind the door opening by about 6". It makes for plenty of room for my wife to get in and out of her car. If you can get buy in for that plan, you will be probably be SO much happier over the long haul than if you have to wedge it into an opening that is equal, or nearly equal to your trailer width. Especially after you break a light off, or dent a shell. Several of us are willing to go to extremes to make a TM fit because we love the TM...but if you're ambivalent about which style of trailer to buy, buy the one that easiest to use. I've had tent trailers, slide in pickup campers, and a 5th wheel, and I much prefer the TM for the same reasons others have mentioned. But if it is a huge PITA to get it out to use it and it's the same to you as a tent trailer, you'll just be bitter everytime you're getting set up!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TrailManor 2720SL questions jackfish Prospective Owner Questions 8 04-04-2011 02:31 PM
Considering buying a 2005 2720SL from private owner tgpmd1 Prospective Owner Questions 59 07-31-2010 11:10 PM
2005 Lexus RX330/TM 2720SL Dagrip Towing and Hitching 21 07-29-2010 08:47 PM
Lift Kit 2720Sl 2005 RECON1 Frame 13 11-13-2004 09:48 AM
New 2005 2720sl trailmanor Wednesday RECON1 Prospective Owner Questions 5 09-14-2004 09:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2021 Trailmanor Owners Page.