TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Mr Geek

Default 17-days in Utah

Hello all,

Heading out Dec 23rd for 17-days to Utah for a holiday Jeep run that focuses on “recovery”, getting unstuck.
http://bb4wa.com/

I will be staying in Cedar City, Moab and Zion. Returning Jan 8th.
The real “goal” of this trip is the Jeep run. It is a well known event in the Jeep community but I can see this year the forecast weather is setting up to be a challenge.

Bottom-line I will be spending about 17 days in the TM in full hookup parks in what looks like rain/snow and freezing temps, sometimes around the clock. My biggest concern is snow build up on the roof and freezing issues. I think I have ways to deal with those issues and time will tell.

I have camped in my 2619 in both extreme hot and fairly cold, one time with an overnight snowfall but nothing like the conditions that I see forecast. I think this trip should be a good test of the TM in such conditions for multiple days.

I will most likely post to the forum during the trip with some images and status.

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I would strongly suggest a space heater. We have been fine in single digits but were happy to have the additional heat and quiet.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
I would strongly suggest a space heater. We have been fine in single digits but were happy to have the additional heat and quiet.

Malinda
Thanks Malinda!

I have two 1500w heaters. One with a fan and one oil filled radiator. I hope they help enough to reduce the use of my gas furnace. I am also bringing a good extension cord to run under the TM vinyl seal to the RV park power panel, keeping one heater off the TMs breakers.

This is a longer trip (time wise) compared to what I normally do and most likely in the worst conditions I have ever camped in. I figured while I am there I should spend some time to relax and enjoy the TM in such great locations like Zion. A little snow can really transform places in visually stunning ways.

The biggest problem by far would be a multi-day power outage. That is one reason I bit the bullet and invested in some solar panels. I realize stormy weather isn't ideal for solar power, but it could make a difference as long as there was some sun time or diffused overcast. I tend to overdue it on safety and having backups but feel it's well worth it when times arise that make them useful.

It should be an interesting adventure to say the least.

Thanks again
Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Have a safe trip Mr Geek! I will be looking forward to reading about your adventures

Tim
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Redhawk

I wouldn't be real concerned while camping, sounds like you are prepared, I would be more worried about towing on nasty roads. Hopefully you won't have to deal with bad roads. Have fun, I love camping in Utah (usually around Moab) so I'm jealous!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I am looking forward to also reading about your adventure! I am jealous every time I see the photo of you Rubicon and TM. I also drive a Rubicon and know I cannot tow my 3124KS with it. But it is always cool to see your pic.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I wouldn't be real concerned while camping, sounds like you are prepared, I would be more worried about towing on nasty roads. Hopefully you won't have to deal with bad roads. Have fun, I love camping in Utah (usually around Moab) so I'm jealous!
I agree, that's a big concern. I am basically driving short distances and staying multiple days in Cedar City, Moab and Zion each. I won't risk it, if things are bad I will sit and enjoy my TM, appreciating it's hard walls and creature comforts. If I miss the Jeep ride, that's fine.

If chains are needed I won't be towing. I have them but only to get out of trouble.

I completely agree about the Moab area, it's magic in so many ways. I usually go in October for the Jeep Jamboree, fall leaves and maybe a nice snowfall or a good rain to darken the rocks really bring the beauty out of the place. This trip will be in the dead of winter with some healthy weather systems forecast to pass through. I enjoy stormy weather so this is a plus to me BUT safety comes first. I don't like towing in the rain, let alone the snow or icy roads...we will see.

Also, nice photo of Delicate Arch (I think) in your Avatar!

I usually spend more time with a camera in my face in Utah, so I am sure I will be posting a few throughout this trip.

Mr Geek.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I am looking forward to also reading about your adventure! I am jealous every time I see the photo of you Rubicon and TM. I also drive a Rubicon and know I cannot tow my 3124KS with it. But it is always cool to see your pic.
Ah a Jeep girl, very nice and nice Jeep too! It's hard to go wrong with a Rubicon for all things Jeeps do.

Another person I used to work with who also goes on these Jeep runs tows his Jeep with a big diesel pusher. I wouldn't mind doing that but going that route adds a lot of $$$ I just don't have.

So I did it the other way around, towing an RV with my Jeep. The 2005 Unlimted has a longer wheelbase which raised the TC to 3500. Overall I am very pleased with the Jeep and RV combination. My Jeep works hard, like a little locomotive in towing the 2619, works its butt off, but well within it capabilities. I have found Jeeps are very strong vehicles and my 2005 has really earned my respect over the years. I try to be smart with transmission use, braking and all and I am so thankful to have found the TM 2619 matches up so well with my Jeep.

I like your setup a lot, a nice powerful TV and nice big 3124KS. I don't imagine you have much trouble towing with your rig and you must have tons of room in your TM. Having the 4 x 4 must be nice once you get to where you camp. I considered all my options with the requirement that I had my Jeep with me when I got to where I was going. It really came down to two options. Spends lots of $$$ on an RV that will tow my Jeep or find a lightweight TT I could tow. After some research I found Trailmanor and the rest is history. My Jeep is not the best TV, but has worked out better than I expected, it's a real workhorse and handles great while towing, very stable, straight and true.

Bottom-line I truly enjoy my TM and all it makes possible. From reading through this forum it seems most people feel the same way about their TMs. I hope to be using mine for years to come.

Bob.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post

So I did it the other way around, towing an RV with my Jeep. The 2005 Unlimted has a longer wheelbase which raised the TC to 3500. Overall I am very pleased with the Jeep and RV combination. My Jeep works hard, like a little locomotive in towing the 2619, works its butt off, but well within it capabilities. I have found Jeeps are very strong vehicles and my 2005 has really earned my respect over the years. I try to be smart with transmission use, braking and all and I am so thankful to have found the TM 2619 matches up so well with my Jeep.

Bob.
Glad to see this set up works. The only thing we use the '90 YJ for is to move the TM around in the yard. Jeep used to have a 25 square foot frontal area limitation besides the TC rating. They still have that?

Ken

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post
Ah a Jeep girl, very nice and nice Jeep too! It's hard to go wrong with a Rubicon for all things Jeeps do.

Another person I used to work with who also goes on these Jeep runs tows his Jeep with a big diesel pusher. I wouldn't mind doing that but going that route adds a lot of $$$ I just don't have.

I like your setup a lot, a nice powerful TV and nice big 3124KS. I don't imagine you have much trouble towing with your rig and you must have tons of room in your TM. Having the 4 x 4 must be nice once you get to where you camp. I considered all my options with the requirement that I had my Jeep with me when I got to where I was going. It really came down to two options. Spends lots of $$$ on an RV that will tow my Jeep or find a lightweight TT I could tow. After some research I found Trailmanor and the rest is history. My Jeep is not the best TV, but has worked out better than I expected, it's a real workhorse and handles great while towing, very stable, straight and true.

Bottom-line I truly enjoy my TM and all it makes possible. From reading through this forum it seems most people feel the same way about their TMs. I hope to be using mine for years to come.

Bob.
Hi Bob...

Your wheel base is longer then the one on mine. Sooo I don't think we could even pull the 2619, Maybe the Mini.

We actually looked at the Aliner Expedition and it is cute and we think functional except for what we use it for. We love the idea of being able to tow it with a Jeep. I read enough on their forums to know they have rot problems with the flooring though.

We spent 17 days with the TM in Missouri on a hunting trip this year. We had water and electricity at my Uncles house. When it went below freezing we filled the tank and then disconnected and drained the fill hose. We used a blue boy....to empty the toilet.

I usually make the bed by myself...or if we need to make it when setting up my dh makes the back end while outside. After about 5 days into the trip we changed to flannel sheets...and my dh watched me stuggle with the tucking of the fitted sheet. He now realize what a pain it is to make the bed.

He had come to the awareness of the value of overhead storage some months before. Now he wants the bed inside the camper. On the way home we stopped in Nashville and looked at a HiLo and then several other campers. We almost bought a 27 ft HiLo towlite that was almost new...in 2005...now we are glad we didn't...it looks like it shrank compared to our TM.. Of course it was still the same size we were just used to bigger. I know that we could have made it work though.

When we camp within say 400 miles the TM is great....it is the long trips that are getting to us...the distance, the set up when we are over tired and the storage below the waist.

We are trying to fall back in love with our TM. It is a great camper...tows like a dream and is very funtional. The only time storage is an issue is on the extended hunting trips.

I have considered the following:

Buy a Travasak...well they have gone out of business....Camping World does not have them. I have googled (a lot) and I found a few at boat suppliers. I almost bid on a queen size travasak on ebay last week...but dh wants new not used...it went for 50.00. I think it was smaller then we want anyway...because he would take all the covers when he rolled over using one that size.

I am currently considering ordering a Super Bag in the King size. My camper is put away and I need to pull it out to measure the mattress. I have a coupon for $50.00 off through Jan. 10th with that company. I think the mattress is 78X78 inches. The King size Super Bag comes in 72 X80 inches...standard. They sent me an email yesterday and said they will make one to whatever deminsions I want.

I am thinking of ordering another cabinet to go on the wall by the sofa. I like the way Wayne's looks...I also thought about having one made a little bit longer then the one from the factory.

I have priced roll out drawers and hardware on line. Currently I only want them under the really deep cabinet next to the refridgerator. I have also considered putting in cabinet doors on that cabinet on the side facing the sofa.

I need to make one replacement curtain for next to the sofa. I am thinking of making all new curtains and lining them for insulation as well to keep them from fading so fast. I have almost enough fabric...just need the curtain tape and the lining fabric.

We took out the chair for the last trip and really like the camper that way for extended trips. We already put the chair back in the camper. It would be easy for two guys to do this...but I wonder how much longer I can keep putting the chair out over the sofa...and no it will not go out the door.

I am also thinking about buying fleece sheets if I don't buy the Super Bag.

When TM factory has their winter special...I want to get an appointment and have them do a tune up/check up to make sure everything is as it should be on our TM.

Have fun on your trip!!!!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote