TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #41
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

I'm actually loving every minute of it. It beats the 3 hours I spent trying to get tags for the TM at the DMV. Everyone has to stand in one 'info' line without any forms or instructions on what to do. They only have a couple one place in our county for titles and they don't answer questions or give you forms until you stand for one or one and half hours to find out you don't have the right documents. They didn't know what to do with my TM and I need to do this all over again (stand in line after an inspection).

Really, the forum is at least helpful.

And, I've been trolling the Owners Forum for at least 2 years and joined about a year ago. So I've read a lot at TMs, but until you actually get one, then the real learning starts. I'm lucky as every manual and brochure was passed onto me, but I just keep reading and leaning new things every time I check the topics.

Not sure what I would have done without everyone's help. It's like a big happy family and I'm glad that I'm a part of it.

Theresa
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #42
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The weight distributing hitch is a good idea, in that it will make your tow vehicle ride better and stop safer when you are towing. You'll likely find that it's recommended in your Tahoe owner's manual where it talks about towing, also an important piece of reading material. Also, I don't remember if anyone posted this already for you, but you absolutely have to have a brake controller and proper wiring installed in your Tahoe. Lots of people like the Prodigy.

With a little practice, you can learn to back the trailer. Just have your spouse stand in a visible spot and provide encouragement to keep you out of the shrubbery. I'd at least try this awhile first because you'll find the unhitch and re-hitch to be a hassle, installing a hitch on the front than can support a 500# tongue may not be trivial, and you might be surprised by how little you'd be able to see through the windshield if you were hitched in front (you could check this part by pulling the Tahoe up close to the unhitched trailer).

I share some concerns about 30 amp draws on 15 amp circuits, but you just have to be sensible about what you are doing. Knowing that you can't run everything at once is the key, and my 15 amp outdoor circuit in the garage doesn't trip the breaker in my house if I do just a little load management. If you're blowing the breaker in the house, you need to take this as a need to find a better approach.

- Check to make sure the water heater 110v switch is off. You could do this by clicking the breaker off in the TM panel instead of that little hard-to-find switch in the outside water heater access, except that in my TM that breaker turns off the refrigerator too.

- My TM AC unit has a "low cool" setting which presumably draws less power, and I wouldn't run the AC on a 15 amp circuit longer than necessary. In other words, don't run it all day, just run it for the hour you're going to be working out there. In the winter, if I needed to be there for some reason, I just plug in a little space heater to take the chill off.

- I have a small circuit tester which is always plugged in in the TrailManor. The 2 green lights tell me that the 110 power source to the TM is connected and wired correctly (a power outlet that's wired backwards is really dangerous to RV people). It also functions as a night light when we're in the campground.

- Make yourself checklists for setting up and closing down (or there are some good ones people have posted in the forum). This will help you remember to not be all folded down and hitched before you notice the step is still out and the roof vents are open.

- Take it easy when you tow, especially at first.

Welcome to the forum!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #43
Redhawk

Quote:
Not sure what I would have done without everyone's help.
I hear ya! There is a TREMENDOUS amount of experience here and it's great that all are willing to share. I too would have been in a lot of trouble without the info here.

I can't wait to get the TM out for it's next trip!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #44
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Everyone is a great help. I found the checklists that a couple of people has put together and am working on putting in a binder. Some work really went into these documents. I also found document, Mike and Kelly's TraimManor 2720 User Manual. Loving that one.

I had dh check our breaker boxes. The previous owner had an add'tl one installed when they had a hot tub. So we have plenty of room on the 20 amp circuit I'm testing one thing at a time. I ran out to Walmart again today and found a 15 amp to 30 amp converter with an indicator light to show if circuit trips. It seems to work just fine. Today was fans and fridge. Seems to be cooling very well running on shore power. Tomorrow I'll work on filling the water tank and observing for leaks before trying to run anything. Didn't think of making sure water heater off. Just checked and the pump switch is off, so no need to turn off the circuit. Dh out of town for the next week, so I'm on my own with everything, which I really don't mind. I went to go get a brake controller and dh had already researched and ordered one. I'll let him install it. He seems to be warming up to the idea that we got a good deal and not a lemon.

I'll also see if the fridge works on propane. Then I'll move over to checking the AC and stove.

One question I have is the fridge fan. Do you run that when using propane? I'm sure I'll find the answer here. The fan seems to work fine. Ran for a few hours tonight.

I can't believe that there are so many helpful people in this forum. I really enjoyed reading what people don't like about their TM. I'm leaving the toilet to the very end of my testing.

Going to give it a really cleaning from top to bottom even though everything looks great. It's just the idea that I've scrubbed it down that will make it really feel like home. Bought everything from vinyl and winder cleaner and shieldx to auto/rv carpet and upholstery cleaner to start with.

I even purchased a few non-essentials, such as an Easy Breeze dorrway screen curtain that I'm going to tailor to the TM door. Works fine even though made for a regular house. Make it much nicer inside on a 97 degree day!

Thanks everyone for all the input, support and advice. Really made the decision to purchase knowing that there was some sort of support system since my dh says that it's my toy.

I think I got a real gem of a TM here. So far only one minor problem. The spring is missing or failed on one of the legs to the left table, so it won't stay up. Really, been fun finding all the storage space and discovering all the nice features.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #45
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

tgpmd1 -

Glad you're enthusiastic about your TM, and about the help that this board can provide for you. Your Trial Membership has expired, which means you have lost access to the best parts of the board. In order to reinstate it, you need to go to the board's entry page at www.trailmanorowners.com, and click the link describing Site Sponsorship.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thanks, wondering why I couldn't access some of the links.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #47
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Finally found something wrong (other than the table leg not locking). The interior lights over the sofa bed aren't working. It's not the bulbs. Hopefully something as simple as a fuse. I'll look into that today.

Also, there are speakers there in the same area, but can't find any info in the original owner's manual on how to utilize them. Hubby looked around and couldn't figure it out right off hand. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #48
Scott O

The hidden switch for those lights is located inside one of your roof vents...the clever folks at TM have fooled many an owner!

Normally, the speaker wires are routed to behind the panel above the front of the refrigerator. This is where a radio would go. The panel should easily slide out.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #49
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up

Whoa! What a place to put a switch for the front interior lights! Also found the panel for the radio.

Fixed the clip for the table leg, so back down to everything working so far.

The advice on this owner's forum is priceless!

Turned on fan for the ac. Looks a bit dirty so I'm going to clean it out before trying to run the ac on shore power. Looks like an easy job.

The more I get into trying everything out in my new toy, the more impressed I am with all of the features.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let me offer a bit of magic for the table leg. When the table is set up, and you want to put it away, you lift it, push the button on the leg, and slide the lower portion of the leg up into the upper portion, right? Warning! If you slide the lower portion all the way in (the intuitively-correct thing to do), it will surely jam, and then you will be playing with the clip again, and cutting yourself, and cursing. Easy answer? When you push the button, and slide the lower part upward, slide it just an inch. No more is required. It will never jam.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote