TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
DancinCampers

Default Toilet venting

Hi all,

I've been mulling over in my mind for some time on how to vent our toilet and today decided to do it.

Talked to Thetford and they have a vent kit ($30.00), designed for Marine use. The problem is it needs to vent upwards.

On the top of the toilet on either side of the pump housing there is a pop-off cap (I think on the newer models the one next to the sink is used for the toilet level guage). Underneith the cap is a piece of rubber called a splashguard. Removing that and you can see the mounting platform for the vent.

Well, the large hole will accomadate a piece of 3/4 inch pvc pipe. So this is what I did.

-Cut a hole in the popoff cover to accomadate the 3/4 pvc

-Cut a hole in the splashguard slightly smaller than the pvc

-Cut a hole in the side of the framework on top of the tub which holds the faucets, this hole mates up with the pvc elbow

-Took a 3 inch piece of PVC with an elbow attached & put it thru the popoff cover, then attached the splashguard rubber to the pvc and inserted them back into the hole on top of the toilet.

-Inserted another piece of pvc into the hole on the tub framework then inserted the end into the elbow. (I had previously painted all the pvc an almond color.)

-Took off the exhaust air grill on the tub, closed off half of it with Saran Wrap, then re-attached the grill. This is to increase the negative pressure under the tub when the fan is running.

This should work, but won't know till Sharon doesn't tell me the bathroom stinks.

I forgot to take our camera today, but will get pics later this week.

Dan
Old 07-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Toilet venting

Dan -

That is a nice idea. Hope you get some pics posted.

Where is the bathroom vent fan located? My TM is closed, but I was under the impression that it was directly behind the grill. If this is the case, the space under the tub will be under *positive* pressure, which will tend to make the odor worse. However, it would be a simple matter to move the fan, and screw it to the floor directly over the vent to the outside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
DancinCampers

Bill,

On mine it is attached to the floor directly above the hole which is cut-out. This is about a foot and a half back from the grill. Will be quite an arm stretch when it needs replacement.

I am going over to work on the TM today and will take pics.

We had our two rear shell hold down brackets (the small ones on the shell) pull out during our trip to the Jubilee and I've installed aluminum patches which hopefully will never pull out again. I'm going over to prime and paint them today, trying to get everything ready for our trip this weekend.

Will post pics this afternoon

Dan
Old 07-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
CC_Turtle

Hi,

what is the advantage of venting a toilet? smell? ???

thanks,
teresa
Old 07-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
DancinCampers

Hi Bill,

Here is the vent connection on the toilet

Here is the pvc with splash washer & snap cover attached

Here is the completed assembly

Dan
Old 07-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dan -

Very nice idea, nice installation! I never even noticed the access hatch on the top of the toilet. And with the fan in the location you describe, I bet it works like gangbusters! Now my wife wants me to do ours!

A nice additional step would be to find some way to make that bathroom vent fan quieter. Maybe some rubber washers (or a rubber gasket cut from an old inner tube) between the fan housing and the floor? BTW, if I recall correctly, it is easy to get access into the space under the tub (and therefore the fan) by removing the converter.

Thanks

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
DancinCampers

Hi Teresa,

Yes, mainly.

On normal rv's (TM's are definately not normal), black and grey water tanks are vented outside thru the roof. This not only allows the odors to be released outside, but also equalizes the pressure inside the tanks. If you look on the roof of your home you will also see vent pipes for your sewer system.

The TM grey water tank is vented to the outside, but the toilet is not. It has seals to help prevent air escaping but they are not 100% foolproof. Everytime you use it the air inside has to go somewhere.

Hopefully my mild attempt at Swedish Ingenuity (as my Dad would say), will take the odors outside where they belong.

Take care,

Dan
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #8
DancinCampers

Hi Bill,

Thanks, only time will tell.

Also would like to mention that if you remove the top pump housing it will be easier to drill the hole into the side of the tub framework where the pvc goes.

Our fan is fairly quiet, but yes I think adding some kind of dampening material would help. You might check to see if yours is mounted securely. Also might just need a little lubrication, if possible. Sometimes these muffin fans are very difficult to oil.

Our converter is located in the kitchen. The only way outside of removing the tub on our TM is to go thru the air grill. It won't be impossible, but I will using my long arms to reach it.

Dan

Dan
Old 07-22-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
hal

This sounds like the solution to a problem that we all have. Does this modification get rid of bathroom odors or does it just transform them to the outdoors where they can blow back into the trailer via an open window, or also just as bad, does it waft the odors through the campground?

Hal :P
Old 07-23-2003, 06:57 AM   #10
DancinCampers

Hi Hal,

I'm not sure how potent the odor is going to be after it leaves the TM. I'm hoping that because it will be mixed with other air & dispersed by the fan that it won't be a problem. I also think that because the vent will be removing the odor on a continuous basis that it will not be overpowering. But will find out in time.

My initial thought was to run the pvc out the other side of the toilet, thru the sink cabinet then down thru the floor with a small fan mounted outside. The way I ended up was a lot less work using the existing fan system.

My concern though now is whether running this fan will put a strain on the heating or cooling of the TM since it will be bringing in outside air all the time it is on. Of course this is helpful if you have your windows open (unless the odors are recycled also).

If I find that this arrangement hurts the heating/cooling of the TM then I will more than likely add a smaller fan with a tube running to the pvc and this would decrease the outside air exchange.

We have a 5 day trip beginning Fri and will post results.

Dan