TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Magnetic "Bargman" connector

I was surfing online looking for a connector for a non-TM related project, and happened to come across a connector intended to replace the 7-conductor Bargman connector that connects the TM to the TV. These connectors are notorious for bad connections over time, mostly, I think, due to corrosion and lack of keeping them cleaned and with dielectric grease (which you need to be super careful within in applying to prevent shorts).

Enter the magnetic "Bargman" connector, intended to replace both the male and female parts. Theses seem to have several advantages, including a lower likelihood or corrosion, easier to clean when they do, and a water-tight seal. Granted, it would take some work to use these on an existing TM and TV, but if you needed to replace them, I think the magnetic version would merit serious consideration.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/EZ-C...319-R7-01.html

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Looks complicated but we always keep the trailer's plug in a plastic bag with a tie. We park the truck in either the barn or the garage so the bargeman connection doesn't corrode.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Having recently had a problem with connections in the Bargman, I love this idea ! In fact, I had my checkbook out, ready order, until I read the description details and thought about what it meant.

Each half of this magnetic pair comes with a pigtail - a short length of 7 conductor cable with exposed ends. Apparently you are expected to cut off the plug and socket of the existing Bargman connector, expose the wires, and splice these exposed wires onto the wires of the new magnetic pigtails. But as soon as you cut the existing cables, you have violated the existing weatherproof integrity, and it is hard to get it back. That is a tough environment under the tow vehicle, and if water penetrates the splice, you have a bigger problem.

Beyond that, you no longer have a standard Bargman connector on your tow vehicle or on your trailer. If you want to tow a different trailer behind your tow vehicle, you are out of luck. You can't hook it up. And if you want to tow your TM behind a different tow vehicle, you are likewise out of luck.

Of course, you could splice each pigtail of the magnetic pair onto a standard Bargman connector, and plug he two Bargman pairs together permanently. Then you would use the magnetic pair for day-to-day operations. This would work, but still has the weatherproofing issue - now in two exposed locations. I'll have to think about it.

So, with a sigh of disappointment, I put my checkbook away. Maybe later.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Beyond that, you no longer have a standard Bargman connector on your tow vehicle or on your trailer. If you want to tow a different trailer behind your tow vehicle, you are out of luck. You can't hook it up. And if you want to tow your TM behind a different tow vehicle, you are likewise out of luck.
Bill
This was my first thought as well. It’s a really slick idea but it’s very limiting.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Each half of this magnetic pair comes with a pigtail - a short length of 7 conductor cable with exposed ends. Apparently you are expected to cut off the plug and socket of the existing Bargman connector, expose the wires, and splice these exposed wires onto the wires of the new magnetic pigtails. But as soon as you cut the existing cables, you have violated the existing weatherproof integrity, and it is hard to get it back. That is a tough environment under the tow vehicle, and if water penetrates the splice, you have a bigger problem.
Yes, exactly, and so that's why I eluded to the fact that you probably wouldn't really consider this option unless you already had a need to repair the existing Bargman. Or if you're an OEM manufacturer. I can think of at least one way to get pretty close to original wiring (adhesive lined shrink tubing on each of the 7 wires AND the outer insulation as well), but it takes work, and I've never done it.

Quote:

Of course, you could splice each pigtail of the magnetic pair onto a standard Bargman connector, and plug he two Bargman pairs together permanently. Then you would use the magnetic pair for day-to-day operations. This would work, but still has the weatherproofing issue - now in two exposed locations. I'll have to think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
This was my first thought as well. It’s a really slick idea but it’s very limiting.
Not to worry, Bill and Shane! There are already pre-fab converting adapters for this already!

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/EZ-C...319-R7-52.html (for the TV end)

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/EZ-C...319-R7-51.html (for the trailer end)

No need to put away the cash!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote