TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I'll need to solder them in, and then tape up all the exposed "+12V" connectors
Quick thought. Rather than "taping" the connectors (presumably using electrical tape), have you considered using heat-shrink tubing? In my experience, electrical tape will come off if you abrade it, it eventually loses its stickiness and unwraps itself. It is never really tight on the connection. It is far from moisture proof, and it looks sloppy. By contrast, heat shrink molds itself tightly to the connection, will never come off unless you cut it off, and is very nearly waterproof. And it looks professional.

My habit is to cut two lengths of tubing, each having a different diameter. Cut the smaller diameter piece long enough to completely cover the joint with a bit of overlap onto the insulation. Cut the larger diameter piece long enough to cover the smaller piece, plus some extra overlap at each end. If you are OCD like I am, you can even stuff a glob of dielectric grease into the inner tube before you shrink it. Under the influence of heat and pressure, it will spread out inside the tube, lending a bit more moisture and corrosion resistance to the wire.

You will shrink the two pieces of tubing separately, of course. Slide the small piece over the joint, and shrink it. Then slide the larger piece over the smaller one, and shrink it. By far the best shrink tool is a heat gun, but there are other ways. A propane torch will work if you are really careful. For small tubing, I've done it with a soldering iron, or a match. I've even done it over the flame on my kitchen stove. But for serious work such as you are undertaking, a $15 heat gun from Harbor Freight (often on sale for $10) is worth it.

Just my experience. Yes, I have tried self-fusing electrical tape. I don't like it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote