TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Question Mattress Toppers

So we've spent several weeks in the TM by now and have concluded that the foam mattresses can use some help. What type/brand of toppers do you folks recommend? Something like the Visco-elastic Memory Foam Mattress or the Memory Foam Structured Mattress Pad, both from Camping World. Or something else?
Are you able to leave them on the beds while the unit is folded for travel or do you need to take them off?
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Look in "General discussions" under "Matress pads". You must have just missed this flurry of discussion
Cheri
Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Mattress Toppers

Funny story. Actually not very funny for me!

A friend was enthusiastically telling us about the new foam mattress topper she had just purchased at one of the warehouse stores. We happened to be in that store a few days later and decided to buy a king sized topper for our bed at home. We put it on the bed, and I was expecting the best night's sleep of my life. Wrong - so very, very wrong!!!

When I woke up the next morning I could not move. My back was literally in knots and spasms. I gingerly crawled out of bed, hoping it was just a temporary thing. It turned out to be not so temporary, as the back pain continued into the afternoon. Luckily my neighbor is a chiropractor, and came over and gave me a massage and adjustment on the large toolbench in the basement. I felt better right away. The chiropractor said this type of event was pretty common with people changing mattresses. (If this was truly the case, there would be very few new mattresses sold!)

I would not take the chance and sleep on it again. My wife thought I was crazy, and wanted to leave the topper on the bed. I said fine, and then proceeded to then cut the thing in half with a big scissors (the heck with the $150). Of course this made a rather large "mountain and valley" on the bed, but she said she liked it; but I was afraid to sleep on it a second time, so the only compromise I could see at the time was the scissors! She must not have liked it that much, because it disappeared a few days later.

Moral of the story - "Different strokes for different folks" - mattresses are a very individual thing. Most people like a nice thick and soft mattress to sleep on - but not me, as I learned.

PS: We tried other and thinner "toppers" in the TM, and I didn't like them much better; and no, we could not close the shells with the topper on the bed. I'm no doubt weird, but I find the mattresses in the TM quite comortable as they are. Good sleeping to all.

Sorry this was so long.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
sir1doc

bought my TM used and after the first couple nights couldn't believe how much better sleeping was compared to the old coleman PU we had prior.
While making the beds we were talking about the difference and how the matress seemed to be the same size when I actually stuffed my hand under and found the the previous owner had placed two layers of carpet padding under the matress. Not sure what kind but adds about 1 inch to the total matress height. Shells close just fine and I am sure that carpet padding on the bottom is cheaper than an expensive pad for the top. Might work for some of you it sure works well for us. I agree matresses are very important items with very differnt opinions in the forums.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

My Coleman was horrible. Like sleeping on a board. The TM has a flattened out egg crate beneath the rear bed. No telling how long it's been there. It's like a pancake. Never the less, I think it helps. I had very little complaint about the bed as it was but thought the 1 inch Memory Foam topper would make it a little better, and so far I believe it has. For $39. Why not? It closes fine with the flat egg crate and the 1 inch topper. Just can't leave the comforter on there now.
Cheri