TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
katbird

Default TV antenna

I have a question about the TV antenna on our 2005 3124KB. We've only stayed at one campground that had cable hookups. Used the coax outlet by the sink and everything worked great--very good reception.

Same trip, another campground. No cable, but raised the antenna. How to hook the same TV into the antenna? Seeing no other option, I used the same short coax cable (which I know is good) from the same TV, thinking maybe the coax outlet by the sink is somehow wired into the antenna on top? since that is where the booster button is. What was interesting was that when I just tightened the coax connector normally, I could not get a picture, but when I just TOUCHED the inside wire from the TV coax cable to the coax receptacle by the sink, I COULD get a good picture (after some adjustment of the antenna). Rigged it that way that night and watched TV the rest of the evening.

Same trip, yet another campground. No cable hookups, so TRIED to rig the antenna the same way as above, just touching the wire to the coax receptacle. When I held it ONE CERTAIN WAY I could get a picture, but I could not maintain the connection easily the way I did the night before with no trouble, and it was difficult to even find that "sweet spot" that worked.

Somehow I don't think this is the actual way this is supposed to work! I searched the other posts, but the receptacle described sounded different, as though there was an actual place to connect a TV antenna wire from the TV to the receptacle. On mine there is only a DC receptacle, an AC electrical plug, a tiny booster button, and a coax receptacle.

Because I was able to get a picture from the antenna the first time I tried it, I thought this at least meant the antenna was working, just not my method of connecting. What do you think?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you do a search for "winegard" here on this site you will come up with a lot of info on the tv booster antenna. I had to replace ours, but never had the problem that you did. I broke ours trying to pull out a plug from the 12V receptacle. It sounds to me like something either isn't connected right, i.e., problems with the wiring from the antenna, or that the unit itself isn't working properly. If you can use the coax from the booster to the tv for cable, then it should work for the broadcast stations too.

Do the 2005 models still use the Winegard booster antenna? Here is a diagram: http://winegard.com/main_images/2451486.pdf

Sorry I can't be of more help!
Old 11-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default TV antenna won't crank up

Our Winegard antenna broke and couldn't be cranked up or down any more. I figured out what was wrong with it, and took a picture so that if this happens to anyone else they will be able to figure it out. The photo shows how the ridges in the worm drive are broken on one side.

It appears to be a simple fix, just get up on the roof and unscrew the 3 screws that house the elevating gear (here's the diagram again from Winegard http://winegard.com/mobile/pdf/2452013.pdf

I did some research and decided that it was probably either the worm drive shaft or the elevating gear; in our instance it was the worm drive shaft. I called Camping World today and they have them in stock at our local store for $10.99.

The hardest part was getting one of the screws out of the housing, it was pretty rusty. I just kind of put pressure on it a little, then let loose, then put pressure on it again a few times until it gave. Kind of like rocking a car out of the mud when it gets stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvantennafix.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	842  
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

We have a 2006 3023 and we were not wired as per the diagram B & D provided. On the street side of the vehicle at the base of one of the torsion bars (the one closest to the antenna) the feed from the antenna and the feed from the camp cable connection joined in a tee and ran up to the recepticle mounted on the side of the refridgerator cabinet. A possible cause for the problem you describe could be a loose connection from your antenna into the common feed or a nick/cut in the antenna line between the antenna and the tee.

One other thing that threw me a curveball the first time I tried it is when on camp cable DO NOT turn on the antenna booster (little green light) however when trying to recieve off of the antenna DO USE the booster. It may be a new feature on the 2006 models but they have a second tv hook up for the back bed. It is down on the floor in the wall of the bathroom right aft of the inverter. Easy to miss if you don't know it is there. If you have one that gives you another tool for trouble shooting.
Bill
Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
91whitetc

Default TV antenna

Your problem with the connector is a ground problem. Try replacing the connector.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Senorsedona

Angry Same problem

What connecter do I relpace?

I am having the same problem, cable fair, off antena nothing. Direct line from post to TV great. I have a new 2005 3124KS, I am just getting ready to start working on the problem.

Wish me luck.

Jack
Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
amp17408

Make sure the wiring is correct. Our dealer spent 2 1/2 hours trying to find our problem. Seems we had several. One of the connections didn't have the center wire exposed, one of the splitters was hooked up backwards (input on one of the output sides) and some loose connections.