TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Im thinking about getting a used generator.

I am considering getting a generator. The Honda 2000 is the one I want I think. I have been looking on Craigslist and seen several over a period of time. Most are wanting about $750. It looks like I can get a new one for about $920. I have seen a couple at $650 and that is the price I am shooting for getting a used one for if I don’t get a new one.

I am curious as to what problems I might run into getting a used one. I know if gas is stored in it for long periods of time it can cause carburetor problems. Other than that if the generator has only been used a reasonable amount of time I can’t think of what else might be wrong with buying used. As many here are using them and are knowledgeable about them I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions regarding buying used as opposed to new and what I should look to make sure a used one is in good working order.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
rumbleweed

New one can be had for $899 on line free shipping. If you get a used one check to see it starts and runs. Also as a general measure of the run time check the green output indicator immediately after starting. It will blink as follows
0 100 hrs no blink
100 200 hrs 1 blink
200 300 hrs 2 blinks
300 400 hrs 3 blinks etc

Make sure you get a manual if you buy a used one.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
KevinP

Notes on generators, which you may already know:

You won't be able to run the AC with a Honda 2000, but you can probably do everything else. You'd need a second Honda 2k companion generator, which seems like a hassle. That's why i decided to buy the Yamaha EF2400iSHC. It was the smallest unit i could find that would power the AC as well.

However, I came across this unit yesterday on the NuWa forum:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...m_cr_pr_pb_opt. The NuWa user rated it well, it's about the same and weight as the Yamaha, but is rated for 3000W, costs $200+ less then the best price i could find for the Yamaha, AND includes electric start. It gets 4 and 5 stars from Amazon reviewers.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the information. I was able to get one for $650 today. It was nice to know about the blinking green light indicating hours on it.They said they had it for 2 years and only used it a few time. The fact that the light did not blink helped confirm that they were being truthful with me. Cant help but be a little cautious spending that much money on something used.

I think it was a good price as she already had several calls on it and both other ones I saw at this price were sold before I even had a chance to look at them.

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

IMO, unless a generator used for RV'ing has the newer lower noise levels and the ECO switch on it, I won't consider it. Part of the higher cost of the Honda 1000, 2000, 3000 inverter line is the low noise level. Yamaha has several inverter lines too. The inverter allows for cleaner power too.

Several manufacturere put out an inverter generator but make the unit cheaper by not having the economy switch on it to lower engine speed with lower power demands. In other words, the unit runs full bore the whole time.

I have two Honda 2000i units and I own a Yamaha 1000 inverter for when the AC will not have to be used (like Fall camping when it is cool). Both of these companies make great units. Just strongly consider the inverter lines to keep the noise down.

I hate it when some people fire up their industrial generator and the whole park hears the unit like as if you are 20 feet from it.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
ng2951

Quote:
...I was able to get one for $650 today. It was nice to know about the blinking green light indicating hours on it...
Yeah, $650 is cheap for a used Honda 2000.

If you decide to add an extended run tank, WiseSales has a fuel cap that can be adapted to a boat tank. For about $75 you can build the whole thing.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Notes on generators, which you may already know:

You won't be able to run the AC with a Honda 2000, but you can probably do everything else. You'd need a second Honda 2k companion generator, which seems like a hassle. That's why i decided to buy the Yamaha EF2400iSHC. It was the smallest unit i could find that would power the AC as well.

However, I came across this unit yesterday on the NuWa forum:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...m_cr_pr_pb_opt. The NuWa user rated it well, it's about the same and weight as the Yamaha, but is rated for 3000W, costs $200+ less then the best price i could find for the Yamaha, AND includes electric start. It gets 4 and 5 stars from Amazon reviewers.
I had never been able to run my a/c on my Honda 2000 at home, 200 feet elevation.

However, by turning off the converter in the TM the a/c has run for many hours off of the generator.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

My knowledge of electricity is limited. I had no idea the converter could be turned on and off. I just assumed it had to be used to provide electricity to the trailer. Can you explain how you do this? I am thinking it somehow allows you to send everything coming from the generator to the A/C and none to charging the battery. Is that correct?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
My knowledge of electricity is limited. I had no idea the converter could be turned on and off. I just assumed it had to be used to provide electricity to the trailer. Can you explain how you do this? I am thinking it somehow allows you to send everything coming from the generator to the A/C and none to charging the battery. Is that correct?
Just switch off the 20A AC circuit breaker that controls the Converter, Fridge and Water Heater.

Yes, you are correct, if you turn off the converter, the battery will not be charging.

Tim
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good solution! First time I've heard it. And if you plan to keep the breaker off for many hours, the fridge and water heater can continue to operate on propane.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote