TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
skiman747

Default Charging the batteries at home

What type of outlet do you use at home to charge your TM batteries? Plugging the 30 amp cord into my 15 amp GFI outlet in my garage causes it to trip the GFI outlet. Will a non GFI work? What amp is the minimum for charging the batteries only?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

I'd suspect something is wrong - I plug mine into to my garage GFI outlet using a 100 foot extension cord and a 30 amp to 15 amp converter plug and have no problems. Could something electrical be on in the trailer that might overload the circuit? I haven't checked specifically to see if the battery is charging, but the panel shows full charge when I am plugged in. Maybe some others have suggestions?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
mtnguy

I would not try to plug into a non GFI.....major shock hazard potential, especially if something is wrong with the TM wiring......which sounds like it might be. Others should chime in on the procedure to find out what is wrong......I am just the forum worrywart.

Chap
Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you trip an external GFI (as you describe), the problem has usually turned out to be a popped water heater electric heating element. In other words, you may have turned on the electric water heater while there was no water in the tank. This is not a big deal, but it is annoying since you'll have to replace the element. Can you check the water heater switch (it is outside, not the one in front of the sink) to see if it is on or off?

If the switch is on, and you turn it off, does it still pop the GFI? This is the sure sign. And if this is the case, you can still use propane to heat your water (that's the switch in front of the sink), so don't let it stop you from taking a trip.

To answer your original question, a common household outlet and an extension cord will run everything in the TM except the air conditioner. That is not the problem.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
mgoblue911

Default Similar problem

Started this thread about a month ago:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7220

The dealer/Trailmanor have still not diagnosed this problem. It is not the adapter, it is not the electric water heater element, and it is not the power cord. They seem to think that it is the converter itself and are replacing it (this will be the third one for our "purchased new in 2007 TM"). I am supposed to get it back this week. I will keep you all posted....
Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
skiman747

The switch for the electric water heater was off. I disconnected the white lead to the element and now it does not trip the GFI. I think this means that I need a new element. Looking for directions on the replacement? Did you need to remove anything else to get the element out? What element do I need to get if I am not getting it from a TM dealer? Mine is a 07 3023.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Getting the old element out requires a big socket and a long "breaker bar" - code for the wrench that turns the socket. I can never remember the socket size - anyone? Anyone? You should be able to get a new element at any RV store - I'm not so sure about Home Depot, etc, stores. Remember that it is a 120 volt element, not a 240 volt element, and maybe bring the old one with you for a side-by-side fit check.

Do you have the big blue book that came with the TM? If so, find the instruction book that came with the water heater - it should be inside. It will give you a part number for the element, as well as a diagram for replacing it. In my TM, the Suburban part number for the element is 520789.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
mgoblue911

Default Electrical issue

Got my TM back from the dealer a few days ago. They discovered a wiring problem (reportedly from the factory) that was causing a short and making the TM trip the GFI when plugged into a 110 outlet using an adapter. Everything appears to be working as expected right now.

We leave on Friday for 2+ weeks doing Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons. I hope all goes well with the TM...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Dagrip

The socket is called a "element socket wrench" and can be picked up at Lowes for less than $7.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...819&lpage=none

Scott
Dagrip is offline   Reply With Quote