TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Clwpaddler

Default One 12 volt vs Two 6 volt

I am the new owner of 2001 3023 and have read most of the post on the owners forum prior to purchasing so I would be informed. One thing that has gotten my attention was that some use two 6 volt golf cart batteries rather than one deep cycle 12 volt. I know there must be a reason. Can you enlighten me please.

Thanks
Woody
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clwpaddler View Post
I am the new owner of 2001 3023 and have read most of the post on the owners forum prior to purchasing so I would be informed. One thing that has gotten my attention was that some use two 6 volt golf cart batteries rather than one deep cycle 12 volt. I know there must be a reason. Can you enlighten me please.

Thanks
Woody
2 6 volt golf cart batteries will last way longer than a 12V deep cycle battery. They also cost more. And weigh more. And take up more space. So it is a toss-up. If you are going to do a lot of dry-camping go with the 6V golf batteries, if you are only doing an occasional dry-camp go with the 12V deep cycle. (Just my opinion). Otherwise look at the amp/hrs for the specific type battery and you should be able to conclude.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Redhawk

My question would be....(2) 6V batteries or (2) 12V batteries. My 6 V's are about to be replaced and I boon dock a lot. I'm not sure which combo will give the most storage, haven't looked at the specs yet. Any experience?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
My question would be....(2) 6V batteries or (2) 12V batteries. My 6 V's are about to be replaced and I boon dock a lot. I'm not sure which combo will give the most storage, haven't looked at the specs yet. Any experience?
If you are going with two batteries, get two 6V. It will make checking water level a lot faster since there are a lot fewer cells.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
With 2 6 volt batteries you will get better amp/hrs than with 2 12 volt. The 2 12 V will try to equal each other out. Besides the 6 V golf cart batteries are build for more amp/hrs.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
With 2 6 volt batteries you will get better amp/hrs than with 2 12 volt.
This is not true. Amp hours (Ah) is a measure of capacity, which in flooded lead acid batteries, is generally directly proportional to the amount of lead in the battery. The only way to get significantly more capacity is to add more lead. Goto Trojan's website and compare Ah ratings with weight.

All else being equal, two 12v batteries rated at 100 Ah each will provide just as much energy as two 6v batteries rated at 200 Ah each.

Quote:
The 2 12 V will try to equal each other out.
This can indeed be an issue, and I think is the real advantage to using two 6v's over two 12v's. Charging can also be an issue -- one of the batteries will end up being charged with a different amount of energy than the other, so either one will be overcharged or one will be undercharged. Look at how most batteries are constructed -- 12v batteries typically have six 2v cells, and 6v batteries have three 2v cells.

But you can resolve this issue by not wiring the batteries in parallel and using a battery switch to switch each battery in and out of the circuit.

Quote:
Besides the 6 V golf cart batteries are build for more amp/hrs.
There isn't true as a generalization. 6v golf cart batteries are "true deep cycle", which means they can be discharged to a lower rate than cranking batteries before damage. So in a sense, yes, you can get more Ah out of them over the life of the battery if you deep discharge the battery, because if you deep discharge a cranking battery very often, as if often the case in an RV application, you will soon have to replace it. But if you don't deep discharge them, I don't really see an advantage to using a deep-cycle battery. But there are also "true deep cycle" 12v batteries, such as those made for trolling motors. They work just as well as the golf cart batteries.

There are some advantages to using two 12v batteries, however. For example, if one of your batteries ever dies, you still have a 12v source of power. But that is probably an unlikely scenario.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
brulaz

Just guessing, but golf cart 6V deep cycle batteries are very common, and manufactured by several companies. (Mine are US Battery because I got a better deal than Trojan). I would expect them to to be cheaper than the equivalent in 12V batteries.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Battery cost is not dependent on the price of tea in China. It depends on the price of lead in China.

I couldn't resist.

For me, with the swing tongue and the batteries in the front any thing taller than a 12 volt battery will not fit. That eliminates the Trojan T105s.

I presently have a pair of group 24s. When they die (new in March 2005) then I plan on replacing them with a pair of group 27s. A pair of group 31s will not fit, due to length.

I will also switch from RV/Marine to deep cycle. That ought to give me somewhere around 50 percent more capacity, or so.

Six summers of camping with the original batteries. I can't complain.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
mtnguy

1 thing to consider if using 2 6 volts instead of 2 12 volts: If 1 of the batteries die for some reason or other, with the 2 12 volts you can just rewire it to the the good battery and still finish the camping trip. You could do that also with the 6 volt, but it would probably not be enough voltage to run most items in the TM. Plus, I would be hesitant to drive home with the emergency braking system on just 6 volts......probably against the law without a 12 volt battery.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
cochise

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
This is not true. Amp hours (Ah) is a measure of capacity, which in flooded lead acid batteries, is generally directly proportional to the amount of lead in the battery. The only way to get significantly more capacity is to add more lead. Goto Trojan's website and compare Ah ratings with weight.

All else being equal, two 12v batteries rated at 100 Ah each will provide just as much energy as two 6v batteries rated at 200 Ah each.

This can indeed be an issue, and I think is the real advantage to using two 6v's over two 12v's. Charging can also be an issue -- one of the batteries will end up being charged with a different amount of energy than the other, so either one will be overcharged or one will be undercharged. Look at how most batteries are constructed -- 12v batteries typically have six 2v cells, and 6v batteries have three 2v cells.

But you can resolve this issue by not wiring the batteries in parallel and using a battery switch to switch each battery in and out of the circuit.

There isn't true as a generalization. 6v golf cart batteries are "true deep cycle", which means they can be discharged to a lower rate than cranking batteries before damage. So in a sense, yes, you can get more Ah out of them over the life of the battery if you deep discharge the battery, because if you deep discharge a cranking battery very often, as if often the case in an RV application, you will soon have to replace it. But if you don't deep discharge them, I don't really see an advantage to using a deep-cycle battery. But there are also "true deep cycle" 12v batteries, such as those made for trolling motors. They work just as well as the golf cart batteries.

There are some advantages to using two 12v batteries, however. For example, if one of your batteries ever dies, you still have a 12v source of power. But that is probably an unlikely scenario.

Dave
Why is it that when someone ask a general question about something, the answer cannot be simple and general but has to be an academic thesis?

“Clwpaddler” asked a simple question and was given a simple answer. Said answer is GENERALLY true, but “ShrimpBurrito’s” argument also is true ..to a degree. For any given situation there are pros and cons. And the outcome depends on the interpretation of the statement as given by the speaker and heard by the listener. Is the glass half full or is it half empty?

Most TM trailers, my own included has only ONE axle, it that better or worse? Again there are pros and cons here.

Well I am sure by now you get the idea.

Happy camping!!!