TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
reptilist

Default Tow with a Toyota FJ Cruiser?

Does anyone here tow theirs with a 6 cyl. Toyota FJ Cruiser?

I hope so...I'd like to read your impressions of the combination...

I am considering buying a used 1996 3023 model from Robert Crist & Co. in Mesa AZ. for $10K....Good idea or not?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

In my opion, you won't have any trouble towing the trailmanor, but you will probably find a better deal on one on this forum.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
reptilist

Thanks for your reply!
$10K is a bit higher than I wanted to pay!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilist View Post
Does anyone here tow theirs with a 6 cyl. Toyota FJ Cruiser?

I hope so...I'd like to read your impressions of the combination...

I am considering buying a used 1996 3023 model from Robert Crist & Co. in Mesa AZ. for $10K....Good idea or not?
Yep We Have A 2007 FJ Cruiser That We Towed A 2720 On An 8 Hour Trip. You Couldnt Even Tell It Was Back There. No Lack Of Power And We Were Running 60-65 Almost The Whole Way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	3447   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	3448  
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The FJ Cruiser looks like a great TV for the TM. It has a rather short wheel base at 105" so you may want to consider a sway bar. You won't need it most of the time because the axle is mounted pretty far aft on the TM. However, if you get into high wind situations, it might be nice to have so that you don't have the tail wagging the dog....

The GCWR is 9,200 lbs and the Curb weight is 4,050 lbs. This leaves you 5150# for fully loaded trailer, passengers, cargo and fuel. With a towing capacity of 5000# there is no worry there.

I think that you could find a much better deal on an older TM.....You may have to travel some to get it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilist View Post
Check this out:
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/l...odle&BAC-Oodle
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
ColdFlame

Cool

Do you have the factory tow package? I don't have an FJ Cruiser myself, but I do have an '05 Tacoma with the same 4.0L V6 engine. It tows my 3023 without any troubles at all.

My max tow weight is 6500#'s with the factory trailer package installed, and I can attest that I don't even notice that it's there either. I do have a weight distribution hitch to level everything off, but there is no sway or tugging at all.

My truck has only the 5' bed and is a double cab, so my wheelbase probably isn't a whole lot larger than yours (I believe mine is 127.8").

At any rate, you can definitely do better on the price than 10k for a '96. We got a great deal on our '02 3023. $10,500USD. That came with the over-sink hanging cabinet, 80-watt solar panel and controller, extra drawer for by the wardrobe, 15" tires, tv-antenna, Air Conditioning, electric tongue-jack, as well as various accessories such as a portable dump station, etc... I think we got very lucky with this deal mind you, but there are deals to be had if you search! =) Ours was well worth the drive down from Canada and the import process.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Cold Flame
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlame View Post
My truck has only the 5' bed and is a double cab, so my wheelbase probably isn't a whole lot larger than yours (I believe mine is 127.8").

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Cold Flame
The CJ Cruiser has a 105" wheel base. That's a significant difference. I doubt there would be problems under normal conditions but the CJ Cruiser will notice when trucks pass from the opposite direction and if the wind kicks up a sway bar may be handy to have (they're cheap enough).
Old 04-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
MaxDog

I tow a 3023 with my 2007 FJ Cruiser. Works great. I've towed it as far as Reno (I'm in Vegas). This was almost an 8 hour trip, over 400 miles. I was able to pass when needed. And, I still had room for two big

knucklehead dogs in the back cargo area of the FJ. Just last weekend I

towed it down to Parker Dam on the Colorado River, about a three hour

drive from Vegas.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
ColdFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
The CJ Cruiser has a 105" wheel base. That's a significant difference. I doubt there would be problems under normal conditions but the CJ Cruiser will notice when trucks pass from the opposite direction and if the wind kicks up a sway bar may be handy to have (they're cheap enough).
My apologies; I had it in my mind that it had a 115" wheel base, not 105". That is a fairly large difference than my Tacoma's. Obviously I didn't read your post properly. Sorry about that.

And yes, they would definitely feel sway when large trucks were passing close by. Swaybars would be very beneficial.