TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
f150owner

Default Weight Distributing Hitch Damage

I have a 3023, and own a WD hitch with 1000 Lb spring bars. I did not need to use this hitch with my previous tow vehicle, but I will need it with my new one.

I know 1000 Lbs is overkill for the 3023, but has anyone had any trailer frame damage that was caused by a WD hitch that was too large?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
mtnguy

f150woners,

There have several recent discussions on the spring bar ratings, 1 being: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...6196#post46196

The consensus seemed to be that too heavy of a spring bar is better than too light of one. 1000 lb. bars might be overkill, but that is what came with my TM, and I don't have any plans on changing. There haven't been any problems on our unit so far, and don't forsee any. I don't pull my bars up too tight though....just enough to get the original weight (plus a little) back on the front axle.

Chap
Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
mtnguy

OK, I lied, but it wasn't intentional.

In looking at Reese flat bar WDHs online, they list 600, 800, and 1200 lb tongue weights. I thought I had a 1000 lb., so I looked at mine to be sure. Lo and behold, I have 800 lb. bars. That should be just about the correct sizing for the TM, since I have about 550 lb. tongue weight. I think the 600 lb. bars would be approaching the limit, and the 1200 lb. bars might be too stiff.

As Maxwell Smart would say....."sorry about that".

Chap
Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Here's another link

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6951

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Travler

Default Let me Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm uneducated when it comes to WDH. Does a WDH increase the load a vehicle can pull ?
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

It may increase the allowable load over and above what you could tow without a WDH. However, be aware that when a manufacturer specifies a tow rating in a list of specs, the spec usually includes a phrase like "when properly equipped". This usually means "when equipped with a WDH". In other words, the tow rating you see already includes the benefit of a WDH. If you decide to tow without a WDH, the tow rating may be smaller.

You need to look up and understand the specs for your particular vehicle. They are not all the same, and there is no universal rule regarding with/without WDH ratings.

There is a good discussion here, along with some specs for various Ford vehicles to illustrate the difference. You should be able to find something similar on any other vehicle manufacturer's web site.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...oknowAug07.pdf

Bill
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Why have a Weight Distributing Hitch

The WDH does not technically increase the weight you can pull. When you put a heavy load on the back of the vehicle, the front end also rises (you can measure this with a tape measure on the tow vehicle front fender before and after hitching). This represents a reduced load on the front tires, where you do all of your steering, most of your stopping, and for Front Wheel Drive, also your starting. The WDH spring loads the trailer and hitch in order to transfer some of the tongue weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle and the trailer axles. So the purpose of the WDH is to increase the trailer load you can pull safely.

(Sorry, Bill. I posted this while you were already answering this question)
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Travler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
It may increase the allowable load over and above what you could tow without a WDH. However, be aware that when a manufacturer specifies a tow rating in a list of specs, the spec usually includes a phrase like "when properly equipped". This usually means "when equipped with a WDH". In other words, the tow rating you see already includes the benefit of a WDH. If you decide to tow without a WDH, the tow rating may be smaller.

You need to look up and understand the specs for your particular vehicle. They are not all the same, and there is no universal rule regarding with/without WDH ratings.

There is a good discussion here, along with some specs for various Ford vehicles to illustrate the difference. You should be able to find something similar on any other vehicle manufacturer's web site.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...oknowAug07.pdf

Bill
Thank you
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Travler

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
The WDH does not technically increase the weight you can pull. When you put a heavy load on the back of the vehicle, the front end also rises (you can measure this with a tape measure on the tow vehicle front fender before and after hitching). This represents a reduced load on the front tires, where you do all of your steering, most of your stopping, and for Front Wheel Drive, also your starting. The WDH spring loads the trailer and hitch in order to transfer some of the tongue weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle and the trailer axles. So the purpose of the WDH is to increase the trailer load you can pull safely.

(Sorry, Bill. I posted this while you were already answering this question)
That answers my question. Thank you. So basically it helps level out the TV ?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
The WDH does not technically increase the weight you can pull ... (Sorry, Bill. I posted this while you were already answering this question)
Mr. Adventure -

My initial response was the same as yours - the answer was NO. But after I had posted that answer, a nagging little thought prompted me to go check the Ford website, where the answer appears to be "sometimes". I don't know why or how it would increase the rating, but in fairness to Travler's original question, I thought I better acknowledge it.

And Travler then asked
Quote:
So basically it helps level out the TV?
Don't even start down that path, because it will lead you to helper springs and air bags. Take another long look at Mr. Adventure's response above. The purpose of a WDH is to put back the weight that was lifted from the front wheels when the trailer tongue is dropped on the hitch. This is very important for SAFETY, as he said. One of the side effects of doing this is that the tow vehicle levels out - but that's just a side effect. It is not the purpose of a WDH.

Helper springs and air bags will level the vehicle, but they won't put the weight back on the front wheels.

Bill