TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
ng2951

Default TV Questions Toyota Tacoma V6

I know this should probably be posted in the Tow Vehicle section, but since we are getting close to buying a TM I thought it might be better here.

We are on the cusp of replacing our 4 cyl Tacoma with a V6 version. What we have found out is that Toyota makes two towing versions with the V6. One is rated for 5,000 lbs and the other 6,500 lbs. The difference is that the 6,500 lb version cost $4,000 more and has a transmission cooler.

Does anyone know of any other differences?

Considering how light TMs are, wouldn't the 5,000 lb version do just fine? Saving $4,000 would bring the price down to under $20K.

TIA
Nathan
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
viking

I looked at the Toyota web site(http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options.html ) and they talked about the optional tow package that includes the following: V6 Towing Package [2] includes: Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter. Still $4,000 seams a little high. The oil and transmission cooler will help your vehicle perform and last longer (less chance of on the road break downs). The one thing I would not be without is the transmission cooler (this is for automatic transmission models only). I had one put on my Jeep at an AAMCO installed for under $300.

Also does the standard tow package come with the 7-pin connector because you will need it with the TM. You also need a class 3 hitch if you are going to use a weight distribution hitch. These additional items can also add up.

Depending on which TM you are looking at a general rule of thumb is that you should have a towing capacity with at least a 20% safety margin. For example if your Tow Vehicle is rated at 5000lb you should plan to tow with TM and gear no more than 4,000lb.

Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
ng2951

Thanks for the info. So at 4,000lbs, at least according to the TM site, I could pull anything up to a 3326?

What would I need the larger alternator for? Since I really only charging the TM battery and running the fridge, do I really need the larger alternator?

I probably can get Toyota dealer to add the transmission cooler. Would the engine oil cooler really be needed?

TIA A (Thanks In Advance Again)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
larsdennert

Either would be fine. I'm assuming you are looking at a new Tacoma with the 4.0 liter motor. You also didn't say which TM. It's easier to help when you don't keep secrets
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Either would be fine. I'm assuming you are looking at a new Tacoma with the 4.0 liter motor. You also didn't say which TM. It's easier to help when you don't keep secrets
I am assuming with the 4L motor I could pull any of the current or previous TM crops???
Old 02-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Kentwesley

Becareful about estimating the weight of your TM with dry weight. Consider all the other "stuff" that you're going to pack in there for your trip. I would add at least another couple of hundred pounds depending on the size of your family and what you like to bring on a camping trip.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
ng2951

Default Buying TV rated for 6,500 lbs.

Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer. Got a good deal on a new Tacoma rated for 6,500. I really wished I could have found one with just the access cab and not the 4-door, but hey, it was only $400 more than the Tacoma that would tow 5,000lbs.

Here's what I got from my guy (a dealer, yes I know but I have bought 8 vehicles from him & he always had everyone beat).

If you staying mostly flatlands and doing lots of towing, he says the 5,000lb Taco will do just fine even without the cooler. Might work better, but will void the warranty. His belief is that Toyota is conservative with the rating, and it would probably be just fine up to 6,000 lbs.

The TO version gets expensive for several reasons. First off Toyota does not really offer them without lots of accessories. Second the towing package has lots of additional items and a class IV hitch instead of a class III. Here too he believes Toyota is conservative and the truck can probably handle loads in excess of 7,500 lbs.

So thanks to the people here and other groups that helped me wade through all this.

Nathan

P.S. Next we look for a TM! At least now I do not have to worry about what size...
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
ragmopp

Nathan,

Owning a 4.0 litre Tacoma with the tow package, I am confused by your comments that the V6 Tacoma has a choice of either 5000 towing or 6500. I have a catalog from when I bought mine in 2005, and I also went to the Toyota web site and could find no V6 that has a tow rating of 5000 pounds. They mention (both in my catalog and on the web site) 3500 pounds with no towing options or 6500 with all the stuff mentioned above. I chose a V6 Prerunner, 4X2; a 6 spd 4X4 and a auto 4X4. Is there something else? Of note both 4X4's require the TRD package, and THAT is most likely where the added cost comes from.

If I am correct and one of the choices are 3500 pounds that most likely would not include any of the towing essentials that you will need to add later (albeit not $4000 worth).

As mentioned above I have a 4.0 with a 6 speed and have been extremely happy with that vehicle. It tows our TV easily regardless of where we have been. That includes climbing the 'hill' at Donner Summit in Ca. Easily cruising at posted limits. The Tacoma is a great vehicle to tow any of the TM's (properly equipped, of course).

Mike Anderson

ps. While typing you put in your final comment. I still don't understand the V6 with a 5000 pound rating. Which model is that?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
ng2951

Quote:
Owning a 4.0 litre Tacoma with the tow package, I am confused by your comments that the V6 Tacoma has a choice of either 5000 towing or 6500. I have a catalog from when I bought mine in 2005, and I also went to the Toyota web site and could find no V6 that has a tow rating of 5000 pounds. They mention (both in my catalog and on the web site) 3500 pounds with no towing options or 6500 with all the stuff mentioned above. I chose a V6 Prerunner, 4X2; a 6 spd 4X4 and a auto 4X4. Is there something else? Of note both 4X4's require the TRD package, and THAT is most likely where the added cost comes from.
Yep. That was my confusion too. From what the dealer tells me the V6 Tacoma with or without a hitch can tow up to 5000 lbs. I have not seen that quoted anywhere, but several different dealers told me the same thing.

The trick was to find a stripped down Tacoma with the TO package. Toyota loves to hang all kinds of things on the TO packages to run up the cost. All I wanted was air, radio, and cruise. Its a little hard to find wheels like that with the TO.
Quote:
If I am correct and one of the choices are 3500 pounds that most likely would not include any of the towing essentials that you will need to add later (albeit not $4000 worth).
Absolutely. The soon-to-be old Tacoma, which is now for sale if anyone wants to buy it (I haven't even had it a year), lacked everything. It had a manual transmission, which I personally like, cruise, power windows and locks, access cab, but just regular bumper beyond that. It is suppose to handle up to 3,500 lbs.

I might have been alright with what I had, but I really did not want to run into problems down the road.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
ragmopp

Yep. That was my confusion too. From what the dealer tells me the V6 Tacoma with or without a hitch can tow up to 5000 lbs. I have not seen that quoted anywhere, but several different dealers told me the same thing.

Personally, I wouldn't believe a dealer. I would believe the factory. If anything happened, do you think the factory (of the dealer for that matter) would stand by the warranty if you were towing over 3500 pounds?

Is the TO package you are talking about the TRD package?

Mike