TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Claude Shook

Default Comparison of units towability

Does anyone have experience towing trailmanors of different sizes. How do they compare. I am interested in buying one and have figured out that the weight doesn't increase that much as size goes up. I am particularly interested in comparisons between 2720 and 3023 or 31 3124. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 12-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Freedom

Claude, you haven't come over to look at our TM yet - now it's all covered with snow! We can get that off, so give me a call when you're ready. I can't tell you about different sizes since we've only had the 2619. If we had it to do over again we would have gotten a 2720. Jim
Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
P and B

Default 3124 with an ML320

Claude,

I've never towed anything before this but wanted to tell you my experience with my unit. If you TV will tow the weight, I would imagine that most of the TMs will tow similarly. Mine is very stable with the weight distributing hitch. I don't get any sway. I do get a little rocking over rough roads occasionally but I think that's normal for the kind of weight I'm towing. To me, the critical consideration, all things being equal, is putting it away every time you go out. I have this crazy driveway and I think a shorter model would have minimized overall stress when I return home. The thing that doesn't change is the height and being able to see behind you. I went with the larger unit figuring I'd "grow into" the towing thing and I did a little. By the third time I took it out, I was backing it into spaces the size of small dinosaurs. The driveway, well, let's just say it's an adventure just about every time ;-)

Phil
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Claude Shook

Thanks Jim, Maybe after the holidays if we get some clear weather for a while. Have a blessed christmas season.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Claude Shook

Thanks Phil. What I am trying to figure out is if we should go with a smaller unit or go for the extra room, considering our tow vehicle. It is a Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine that is rated for 5000 lbs. I believe it has enough power and is heavy enough but the wheel base is a bit short.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Freedom

There's somebody on this forum who tows with a Jeep Liberty diesel and report fantastic MPG. I don't remember which trailer they had - I'll see if I can find their posts.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Claude Shook

Hi Jim, I would like to talk to the guy that tows a TM with a Jeep Liberty diesel. Let me know if you can find the posting. Thanks. There is a guy, (Danoid) on the Jeep Liberty forum, WWW.lostkjs.com/forum, that pulls a tandem axle travel trailer that he says weighs 5600 lbs with a 1000 lb toungue wt. He says it handles it great. He uses a Hensley arrow hitch but thinks that might be overkill
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Claude Shook

Hello Roger, I am looking for information regarding towing Trailmanors with a Jeep Liberty diesel. I have a 2006 Liberty CRD and am trying to figure out how large a unit i could safely pull with it. How has your experience been with towing the 2720SL? Do you think it would handle a 3023 or 3124KB. They aren't much heavier. Thanks for any thoughts you can give me on this.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Claude -

As one would expect, the diesel Liberty has wonderful amounts of torque - more than plenty to handle the load.

The problem is that, at 104 inches, the Liberty has a very short wheelbase.

So pulling a TM is not a problem, although you will slow down on long uphill grades. Weight isn't the issue. Controlling it (or any trailer of similar size) in an emergency maneuver, or when coming downhill on a road with hairpin turns, might very well be a problem. The trailer will tend to steer the car. And the longer the trailer, the worse this problem becomes. You might use the Advanced Search tool to find posts by RockyMtnRay regarding his experiences with a Jeep Cherokee on steep grades. He finally couldn't take it any more, and moved to a Tundra.

Now you do have the factory tow package, right?

I personally would not do it. But then, I have been accused on this board of being a massive-truck / massive-V-8 kind of guy. In spite of the fact that I drive an Explorer (hardly massive) with a small V-8.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The guy on the kjs forum sounds like this guy

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6475

Your original question, as expressed in this thread, is certainly a good one. However, the discussion has spilled over into other threads. I'm going to try to consolidate it all here. Bear with me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote