TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
CORNFEDDOBY

Default WDH- Trunnion or Round-Bar?

I am still looking for a easy-to-use/good quality WDH. My question is: are the Trunnion style bars preferred over the Round-Bar style. It seems that the Round-Bar style hangs down lower than the Trunnion Bars. They seem to extend lower from the receiver. Is this a concern for scraping on the ground? Also I found a WDH set-up by Curt Manufacturing for about $150 (1000lbs) on eBay. Anyone have any history with Curt Manufacturing?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Cowboy Cody

Default WDH Reply

Not an expert, but Reese WDH, hard to beat for quality and functionality
CBC
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
David Richardson

I have used the Trunnion style WDH before (years back) and they worked great. I believe one of the benefits of the round bar type is that they break down and store a lot easier, but I have no personal exeperiece with the round bar style. I will soon. I have communicated (email) with someone who used the Curt WDH and they seem very pleased with it. I found a Robin 1000/10000 on ebay for $180. I have heard good reports about the Robin WDH as a low cost alternative to some of the others.
David
Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Freedom

Check with U-Haul - they sell a "cheap" round bar hitch. I bought one and it's every bit as good as the Big Boys. IMHO. (I've had both types and there isn't enough difference to convince me to go back to a trunnion type.)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Round Bars

are MUCH easier to remove from the hitch head. And when you get to camp, you'll definitely want to do that-- so they're going on AND off for every single "traveling" day. That 1000 lb Robin is the one I've got, I love it. And unless the shipping is excessive, David found a good price. (I paid $200 for mine at a local store, but you won't find it that low anymore.)
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
are MUCH easier to remove from the hitch head. And when you get to camp, you'll definitely want to do that
Glad you find them to your liking, but it's hard for me to imagine anything easier to remove than the trunnions/swing arms on my Equalizer. Basically, you just take off the clip and pull them out. On a bad day this takes about, well, 4 seconds.

What have you found to be MUCH easier about the round ones? No big deal, but am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default no clips.

just swing 'em around. Glad to hear that your Equalizer is a piece of cake, however.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Freedom

I have had both types and, even thought I now have a round bar, I must admit the trunnion was a lot easier to put the bars on and take them off. I just went cheap this time and got the one from U-Haul.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Michigan Kevin

My RV Dealer just told me the trunion's have wear points on them with potential parts to replace...Don't have any experience with WDH's yet so I don't know if this is true.
1999 TM 3023
2010 Traverse
'97 Silverado
Tekonsha P3 brake control
Pro Series WDH
McKesh mirrors
Michigan Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Kevin View Post
My RV Dealer just told me the trunion's have wear points on them with potential parts to replace...Don't have any experience with WDH's yet so I don't know if this is true.
The paint has worn off of mine at the contact points, and maybe even a little metal, but I don't ever see having to replace those ends. I do grease those points (as well as the ball) before heading out on a camping trip, to save a little wear on those areas.

Chap