TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
grakin

Default New Tow Vehicle!

Due to losing a vehicle (I'm helping out a family member), I needed to buy a new vehicle - so I ended up getting my new TV a year before I was planning to get it.

I've now got a Chevy 2500HD diesel. I'm pretty sure this should solve all my concerns about getting my 2619 TM up any mountain! It's also got the built-in brake controller, properly tied into the brake system, which should solve my brake controller woes (I was using a time delay controller - nasty!).
Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
PopBeavers

I tow a bigger trailer (2005 TM 2720) with a smaller truck (1500HD gas) and can accelerate at any time driving uphill on I80 in the Sierras, if I am willing to spend a lot of money for the gas.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
grakin

I took everything for the first tow today - it was amazing. I didn't realize how easy towing this thing could be.

Going from a Silverado 1500 6 cyl to the 2500HD diesel made a HUGE difference. The 2500HD is definitely far more truck than is necessary, but that 1500 was barely adequate IMHO. (it would get you there, but you knew you pulled a trailer behind you to get there)

I got the factory towing package, with integrated brake controller (anyone want a TruControl that I used only once? my EBay auction - sorry if this is considered spam), and camper mirrors.

The hitch is a bit higher than my 1500 - need to do something about that (I had to raise the ball about 1/2 inch on the 1500 for a level trailer, I think I'm about 2 inches high now).

The camping mirrors work fine for me - little vibration, extend out far enough for my liking, and the spotter glass on them is handy.

The Chevy integrated brake controller is one of the coolest things I've seen. It also works better than the TruControl worked, and far, far, far better than that time delay controller I used to have. I set the gain at 3.5, and don't even feel the trailer pushing or pulling during stops (brakes lock up at 4 to 4.5).

Also, unlike the 2003 truck, in 2007 they realize that trying to save $2 by leaving out the trailer battery charging fuse is not a good idea in this type of vehicle. Took me 2 minutes and a 6mm wing nut (lets me disconnect it with less work) to connect up the towing lead (Note: if you have the integrated brake controller on a 2007 - there are TWO red wires with lugs on them under the hood; The one closest to the side of the vehicle is labeled something "aftermarket trailer battery charging lead" or something like that. That's not the one you want, you want the one *not* labeled; I confirmed this with a volt meter at the trailer connector).