TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Mounting McKesh mirrors on the fender

Howdy -

Just purchased a 2000 2720SL and am going to try towing it with my Jeep Cherokee. I searched the forum a bit, and I realize I'm going to have to get a WDH, and to take it easy given the short wheelbase.

It seems there is a consensus that the McKesh mirrrors are the way to go. Some folks have had concerns with how the mirror mounts to the door, noise, vibration, etc.

The McKesh site says they can be mounted to the fender. Has anyone ever mounted them there? Seems like that would alleviate some of these problems, but an not sure how it would affect the coverage area.

Comments?

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Dave,
No experience with fender mounting but FWIW...
I mount my McKesh on the door of my Pilot. Occasionally I will get the vibration/whine when traveling at 55-60 MPH. To counter I get "one more click" of tightness on the ratchet that winds the strap and the noise goes away.
I am always able to see a vehicle in the mirror -- even if a bit shaky -- but I still know it's there.
Also FWIW, I was able to find McKesh mirrors used on Ebay and save about $40.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just as a reminder, the infamous "buzzing strap" problem can be eliminated by winding the strap around the ratchet in the backward direction. This requres removing the strap from the ratchet, pulling out the crank and putting it in from the other side, and rewinding the strap in the other direction - but the mirrors are built to make this easy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
idaho-steve

I had the vibration problem and found that a 2" long piece of old auto heater tube between the strap and the door did the trick. I make sure the door is clean beforehand so I do not mar the surface but so far this has worked well for me.

Steve
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
camp2canoe

Default TV mirrors

We'd like to weigh in on the mirror issue. We've used mirrors that clamp on to the door or fenders to tow our sailboat for years. We also tried a pair of those mirrors that fasten to your factory TV mirrors using large rubber straps and they are miserable. They were always vibrating and one fell off as I attempted to adjust it while driving down the highway. Then we bought a pair of the CIPA mirrors that fasten over your factory TV mirrors with an internal clamp requiring only one knob to tighten. They work great on our 2003 Ford Supercab, vibrate very little and are easily adjustable. They also allow our power adjustment feature to work. The only downside is that they have left some marks on the leading surface of the TV mirrors. They cost about $60 a pair and we reccomend them. - camp2canoe
Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Carol Hagy

Does anyone have a picture they can show me what these McKesh mirrors look like?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

Note that this site quotes a SALE PRICE!! of $124 a set. They are available for quite a bit less elsewhere.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote