TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
TenKen

Default 12 Volt Air Compressor-Which One

I am going to buy a 12-volt air compressor but don't know which one to buy. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

We bought a Campbell-Hausfield at Wal-Mart for $40 - says it will inflate to 80 psi but I'd hate to wait for it to do that. Getting the Expedition tire to the sidewall-recommended 44# can take a little while if they're more than 5-6# low. However, it is easy to carry and can be recharged on either 110v or 12v.

Bob
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
jellis

Just another perspective on compressors; after a less-than-satisfying experience with 12-volts, I started carrying a 5-gallon air tank in the back of my pickup. I keep it charged to 80+/- psi, which has been more than adequate for anything we've ever needed, including nearly flat tires. Obviously, more bulky than a small compressor, but MUCH faster and more dependable. I'm considering a small 110V pancake compressor, which is about the size of the 5-gallon tank, but would require an electrical hookup to re-charge periodically.
About $100, but well worth it if you ever need one.

Just thought you might want another couple of options. YMMV.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Freedom

I carry an Interdynamics Truck Air HD275. It, like all 12V compressors, is slow; but if you're in a bind it's better than a hand pump! It is a little faster than the other one I had, and it doesn't smoke like the old plastic one did. I believe the piston and cylinder are metal instead of ABS. Still not ideal, but better. The 5 gal tank is probably the best, but they're so BIG! I also carry a tire plugging kit that has saved my bacon a couple of times when we were out picking huckleberries. I have a small 110 V compressor, but I've never tried to run it off an inverter - might work - I don't know.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
TenKen

Default Alligator Clips

What if I purchased a portable air compressor (Pep Boys Master Flow 1050) with alligator clips which hook onto a 12V source? Could I clip onto the TM battery?

By the way, thanks for all the help.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKen View Post
What if I purchased a portable air compressor (Pep Boys Master Flow 1050) with alligator clips which hook onto a 12V source? Could I clip onto the TM battery?
Good lord, but Pep Boys has a terrible web site! Never could find the Master Flow compressor you mentioned.

Hooking up to the TM battery with alligator clips? Sure. However, you'll be happier if you can keep the TM plugged into the car, and the car engine running while you pump. Many of these compressors draw around 15 amps of current, and the battery voltage will sag - meaning the compressor will run more slowly - under this load.

Like many here, I carry a small compressor, and it saved my bacon on one occasion. But as noted above, it is a pretty leisurely process. One thing I did discover is that if the bead seal is broken (the area where the tire contacts the wheel), then a small compressor will not provide the initial whoosh of air needed to pop it back out. Jellis' air tank approach would take care of that.

But in the end, a compressor is small, cheap, and easy to carry. Cheap insurance.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Tuscany Bandit

Default Air Compressor

This one works well for me. Bought at WallMart. Holds 150 pounds of pressure and is a two gallon. Very light weight and takes up very little room.
Jerry
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
John Kelly

Default Master-Flo 1040

We baught a Master- Flo 1040 at Pep Boys. Works well. $29 and is small and has a carrying case.

J. Kelly
Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I have a Campbell-Hausfield which is rechargeable. I really like that because the cords on the other ones I had were never long enough to reach to the trailer tires without a lot of finagling. It's heavy but I won't own another "corded" one!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Freedom

There are better compressors, but they are "spendy". Check this out: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/viair.htm