TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
SireMike

Default Recliner question

I have a 2004 3124ks with the older style chair with below storage.

While I like the storage area (great place for shoes) I would rather have some type of recliner to kick my feet up.

How comfortable is the new recliner chair? Any idea if you can buy one from TM? Not wanting to spend a huge amount of $$$ though.

Mike
Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
BrigCA61

RV Recliners can be googled (www.google.com - or use your fav. online search engine). They are also available at www.campingworld.com.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Remember, the highest point on the back of the recliner cannot be any higher than the kitchen countertop, or the shells won't close. The old TM chair was, I think, specially built to meet this requirement.

If your favorite recliner is too tall, maybe you could roll it over on its back before closing the TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Retrofitted my '02 2720SL with the new TM recliner!

Resurfacing this thread to answer the unanswered questions about the new TM recliner.

Background: As my signature suggests, my TM trips are strenuous...it's pretty common for me to do 15 or more miles of hiking (involving 3000 or more feet of climbing or descending) or 30 to 50 miles of mountain biking in a single day. At the end of those days, I want a soft chair and the ability to get my legs elevated. The OEM chair in my '02 provided decent cush for the tush but left me without the leg elevating.

Sooo, about 2 months ago I attended a local RV show where I knew TMs would be shown, in part to have a chance to check out the recliner TM is putting in the '07 SL models. It took all of 5 seconds to know this was what I was looking for. So I trucked over to my local TM dealer (The Car Show in Colo Spgs) the following week and put in a special order for one. After several calls between me and the dealer and between the dealer and TM to establish a price (TM hadn't yet priced this item for special order), I was quoted a dealer price of only $249 plus tax (and no freight charge since TM would stuff my chair into a new TM being shipped to the dealer...which probably saved me around $50). I was able to order it in "tan" (not the Bordello Red).

The chair arrived in mid March but it wasn't until this past weekend that I finally had time to get the trailer out of the garage and get the chair installed. Which, I might add, isn't so simple...neither the old nor new chair will fit through the door. I wound up sliding them across the bed (bed pulled forward) and then moving them out and in through the opening under the rear shell.

Impressions after 10 minutes or so of use:

Quality...very, very good...the fabric is kind of an ultra suede that looks as if it will be very durable. The "recliner" (see below) mechanism is simple, sturdy feeling, and operates quietly.

Utility in the trailer: just perfect. Height is perfect....same as the old chair so the top shell has no clearance problem even with the chair sitting normally . It has casters under the front, legs under the back so it's just as easy as the original chair to maneuver around during trailer set up and tear down. Weight is pretty light...maybe 5 lbs more than the old chair. It's about 3 inches narrower than the old chair so it's even easier to maneuver. And there's even still some storage under the seat, which can be accessed by raising the leg rest. When the leg rest is extended toward the couch (with the chair next to the kitchen cabinet), there's some room left over. All in all, I think that TM chose this one very well! By comparison, one time when I was at Camping World, I tried moving around one of their RV recliners. It took all of 3 seconds to decide a standard RV recliner would be waaaay too heavy and difficult to move for use in a SL type TM.

Comfort: just perfect for me. But it might not be very good for others. Here's why: First, this is not a true reclining chair...the back does not recline at all. It resembles a recliner in that it has an elevating leg rest. Second, it's a pretty narrow chair...about 3 inches narrower between armrests than the old chair. And the seat cushion is only 18 inches wide (just a tad more than a standard airliner seat)...partly because the lever to actuate the leg rest is a flat paddle located between the seat cushion and the inside of the right armrest. On the plus side of the equation, the back rest has a great lumbar support and the cushion provides more cush for the tush than the old chair did.

Because I do so much strenuous exercise and am very careful about always heating healthy, I'm happy to report my body is very trim and fit. My body fat is around 18% and I've maintained a relatively small 33 inch waist. In short there's almost no fat on my hips and legs and so this chair fits me perfectly. But not overly roomily...trim as I am, there's only an inch or so of unused width between the sides of my legs and the armrests when I stretch out. And since all I really wanted was a chair with an elevated leg rest, it doesn't bother me at all that the back doesn't recline.

The bottom line is this is a great replacement...for some people. It's well made and I found it very, very comfortable. It fits perfectly in an SL TM and is easily maneuvered during set up and tear down. If, like me, all you want is leg elevation and can do without a reclining back, the comfort level is great. But...really big but (or maybe I should say butt )...if you're a person who's "well upholstered" or has "big bones" or has trouble wedging into an airliner seat or who felt the need to buy one of the new "wide recliners" to get enough seating room....I'd strongly suggest you try this chair out for fit at a TM dealer before ordering one.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Thanks Ray!

It sounds like you've found what I've been looking for. All of your advice has always been right on the mark so I plan to stop at the Car Show on my way to UT next month. I'll have to see if it fits my butt and is suitable for my back (I have degenerative disc disease).

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempert View Post
It sounds like you've found what I've been looking for. All of your advice has always been right on the mark so I plan to stop at the Car Show on my way to UT next month. I'll have to see if it fits my butt and is suitable for my back (I have degenerative disc disease).
You might want to check out this chair at a local dealer before your trip (isn't there one somewhere around Norfolk?). I believe this new recliner is standard equipment in all of the '07 "SL" type TMs (2720SL, 3124KS, 3326King) so if the TM dealer has an '07 version of any of those TMs in stock, you should be able to check it out...and probably special order it.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

Ray -

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about checking to see if the dealer in Salem (about 50 miles from where I keep the TM) had one that I could plant my body in for a few minutes. The other dealer is over 60 miles in the opposite direction with really bad traffic. Besides, I sent the Tidewater dealer an email and they never responded. I'll be short on time before I leave and I love the people at The Car Show. I usually pass through CS on my way west.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
SireMike

I tried out the new chair from the factory and it did not impress me.

The chair actually did not recline but you did have a foot rest come up like a recliner.

I found the small rocker recliner from Best furniture would work fine in my 3124 ks and it definitely was comfortable for me.

The bottom and top of the recliner does separate in case you have transport problems.

I did not have any problem closing my 3124ks. I had to turn the chair around the other way so the back was closest to the rear of the trailer.

mike
Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Here's another ........

.......recliner option. I'm pondering getting one for use in my Jayco. It can be folded and put away in a few seconds, yet offers (nearly) the luxury of a regular full recliner. It goes for $228, shipping free(?).

Lafuma Mellow Indoor Recliner

Denny_A
Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 AM   #10
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

We purchased two of these from Home Depot last year for less than that. They are really nice and you can use them inside or out.
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote