TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2001, 03:59 AM   #1

Default Help.. I may buy a 1998 TM 3225..need advice!!!

I am looking at a 98 TM 3225. I am trading up from a Coleman Niagara.
1. Are there any reasons why I would not want a dual axle?
2. Any major problems with this model?
3. Any suggestions on what to look for?
4. Are winter rodents a problem? Can they get in easily?
5. I will miss my outside stove can I get one for a TM?
6. Can you buy a screen room for the awning?

Thanks for your advice.

DAN
Old 12-05-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Help.. I may buy a 98 3225

Hi,

Good luck in you purchase.  We own a 2001 3225 and its been great for us.  We don't know why this model never sold very well for Trailmanor, because we see the extra counter space and a real selling feature!

One thing you may have seen on this site is the concern about the squared off wheel wells, rather than rounded ones that seem to protect the trailer better in the event of a blow out.  That is a concern, however, for any model not made perhaps in the last few months.

In terms of the model itself, it has been great and is very functional: it has lots of interior room and counter space, I prefer the stability (at least I feel more stable) of the dual axle.  Since the 3225 is the second largest one ever made, and is also pretty long, I think the dual axle makes sense and the unit tows like a dream!

Since we are storing ours in our garage, I'm not too worries about rodents, and don't have a winter's experience to tell you what kinds of things happen.  One person has suggested closing off any openings like the sewer and checking around the outside and seals periodically to look for signs of critters.  

I don't know of any accessories you can buy to attach a stove to the outside of the TM.  We carry a portable propane stove in the rear storage area and it works great for us.  You may not find a reasonably priced screen room for the unit and anyway, it wouldn't be very wide, because the awning only covers the front half of the unit.  I believe the Fiamma website listed one for $600, which is more than many of us want to spend for it.  At least one owner is thinking about making his own, and you might want to search this site to see what he was proposing doing.

Things I would look for is the condition of the wheels and tires, functioning of the systems like the water pump, how easily the two halves close (if they're out of alignment, it is very difficult to close the unit) ensuring that the lamination isn't failing on the floors, walls, etc., checking for mildew smells that indicates leaks, as well as leak marks on the walls or ceiling, things like that.

While we never purchased a Coleman niagara, I was looking seriously at some of the self contained models, but my wife became insistent on having hard sides to the trailer rather than canvas.  That's why we considered the TM, and we've been happy ever since.  I think the TM is as well built at the Coleman line, which I also respect.  Having said that, have you considered the Coleman Caravan, their new hardside trailer?  That would cost you somewhat less than a TM
(though of course also be heavier).  It may be a similar step for you, and it can be purchased with options like a slideout or bunkhouse in the back.

If you have any other questions, please send 'em on!
Good luck in your search!

F. J. & Ellen
Old 12-06-2001, 01:06 AM   #3

Default Re: Help.. I may buy a 1998 TM 3225..need advice!!

I know it's silly, but annoying.  When travelling on a toll road or bridge, they often charge by the axle, so, I'm glad the 3124 only has one!  It can really add up.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:49 AM   #4

Default Re: Help.. I may buy a 98 3225

THANKS for your advice. I am going to buy the used 3225 saturday. I am paying much less than 1/2 the original list price. I want the fold down for ease of towing vs the Coleman Caravan.

DANNO
Quote:
Hi,

Good luck in you purchase. We own a 2001 3225 and its been great for us. We don't know why this model never sold very well for Trailmanor, because we see the extra counter space and a real selling feature!

One thing you may have seen on this site is the concern about the squared off wheel wells, rather than rounded ones that seem to protect the trailer better in the event of a blow out. That is a concern, however, for any model not made perhaps in the last few months.

In terms of the model itself, it has been great and is very functional: it has lots of interior room and counter space, I prefer the stability (at least I feel more stable) of the dual axle. Since the 3225 is the second largest one ever made, and is also pretty long, I think the dual axle makes sense and the unit tows like a dream!

Since we are storing ours in our garage, I'm not too worries about rodents, and don't have a winter's experience to tell you what kinds of things happen. One person has suggested closing off any openings like the sewer and checking around the outside and seals periodically to look for signs of critters.

I don't know of any accessories you can buy to attach a stove to the outside of the TM. We carry a portable propane stove in the rear storage area and it works great for us. You may not find a reasonably priced screen room for the unit and anyway, it wouldn't be very wide, because the awning only covers the front half of the unit. I believe the Fiamma website listed one for $600, which is more than many of us want to spend for it. At least one owner is thinking about making his own, and you might want to search this site to see what he was proposing doing.

Things I would look for is the condition of the wheels and tires, functioning of the systems like the water pump, how easily the two halves close (if they're out of alignment, it is very difficult to close the unit) ensuring that the lamination isn't failing on the floors, walls, etc., checking for mildew smells that indicates leaks, as well as leak marks on the walls or ceiling, things like that.

While we never purchased a Coleman niagara, I was looking seriously at some of the self contained models, but my wife became insistent on having hard sides to the trailer rather than canvas. That's why we considered the TM, and we've been happy ever since. I think the TM is as well built at the Coleman line, which I also respect. Having said that, have you considered the Coleman Caravan, their new hardside trailer? That would cost you somewhat less than a TM
(though of course also be heavier). It may be a similar step for you, and it can be purchased with options like a slideout or bunkhouse in the back.

If you have any other questions, please send 'em on!
Good luck in your search!

F. J. & Ellen