TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 AM   #11
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default I want one too!!!

Hi Bill,

I've been wanting a Trany Temp guage for a long time and that looks great. Let us know how you like it.

Did you get a pillar mount or how are you mounting it?

Did you buy it direct from the factory, or from a Distributor? I see the factory site says they are out of stock till May 10. You must have got the last one

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
CMarks

My 07 Tahoe has a digital transmission gauge in the driver information center (same place as odometer), no auxilliary tranny cooler, but it does cycle the fluid through the radiator. The gauge has been reading on average around 185-190 here in the flatlands of Oklahoma. The highest Ive seen it rise to was 197 in rush hour and in a few hilly spots around the state. I thought the danger zone was over 200 so I went to the dealer concerned with burning the oil on my trip out to yosemite this week. They assured me running Dextron 6 oil can handle temps up to 300 degrees and there was no "need" for an auxilliary cooler. Im going to do a bit more searching on the internet to find out the details behind this Dextron 6. Anyone else run this oil?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
CMarks

I just found this, Sorry its Dexron VI, not dextron. Looks like it has a flash point of 403 degrees F.

http://www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM_8017_E_v14.pdf
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #14
ragmopp

On this subject, but slightly different...My Tacoma has a 6 speed manual transmission, and it does not have a tranny cooler. I have understood that manual transmissions do not require a cooler, and have left it at that. So my question is,why don't manuals have a cooler? By the way, I think the manual said to not use 6th gear while towing. I can understand this going up any grade, but on flat land, why not? Sorry if this is off subject.

Mike Anderson
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Mike,

My understanding is that a "manual" transmission doesn't generate heat in the oil like the fluid does in an automatic transmission does.

Manual's have gears and the oil just to lubricate the gears. Whereas automatics by there very nature transfer the engine power to the drive train using transmission fluid. The more load there is the more the transmission fluid heats up.

As far as not using 6th gear, you are going to get a thousand different opinions on that. Personally, I would use it on flat terrain as long as the engine can handle the load. Monitor the RPM and let us know what you end up doing. With gas over $3.00 a gallon, I think it is worth a try...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
PopBeavers

One difference between automatic versus manual transmissions is that automatics have a pump and the manual does not. I suppose a pump could be added somehow for the sole purpose of moving the fluid through a cooler, but I have never heard of anyone doing that.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
mtnguy

CMarks:

The flash point of a liquid is the lowest temperature at which it will readily catch fire when a flame or spark is introduced. I don't think you would want to use this temperature as a reference point for the max. allowable temperature in your transmission.

mtnguy
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! Good thread!

Keith, I bought my Interceptor direct from the factory. I communicated with Todd at [email protected], and he was extremely helpful. If you order one, please mention my name.

I'm not thrilled with the looks of gauges on the A-pillar. In my Explorer, there is a space in the lower left of the instrument panel (outside the glass) where the gauge wouldn't obscure any of the instruments in the panel. I'm going to try to mount it there.

Re tranny fluid temperatures, RockyMtnRay provided this link.
http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/img101.gif

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #19
CMarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
CMarks:

The flash point of a liquid is the lowest temperature at which it will readily catch fire when a flame or spark is introduced. I don't think you would want to use this temperature as a reference point for the max. allowable temperature in your transmission.

mtnguy
Yeah, I quoted that number not knowing exactly where that puts the operating range temps. I was kinda hoping someone around here would know. After further research, I found my transmission fluid Dexron 6 starts breaking down around 270 F and a Warning alarm will sound and flash. Here is some more information for those new Tahoe owners pulling anything. Some of these forum contributors are employees for Chevy and really know their stuff. Its a good website to learn about your truck.

http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_9689...n/tm.htm#10892
Old 05-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
ragmopp

Thanks everyone (for info on manual transmissions and driving in 6th). Great information, that I had never heard before, other than a 'manual tranny doesn't need a cooler'. As to trying 6th on flat areas, I will be leaving Northern Ca. for San Diego in a couple of weeks, will give 6th gear a try on level ground. At a wonderful $3.85 for super in my area, if I can squeeze out another mile per gallon it will be worth it. Of course, I will ensure the engine isn't straining. Thanks again.

Mike Anderson