TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Not all, but most highways have an extra lane on hills-even here in PA. So I'd never fudge my Huggies about how much traffic is stacked up behind you. I would think the more likely safety concern is being able to maintain the minimum posted speed, which those who tow with Jeeps would be qualified to respond to.
This sounds like a reference to a post I made recently about after 5 cars behind you that you hat to pull over to allow them to pass, in California.

I think I failed to mention this only applies to 2 lane roads.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
This sounds like a reference to a post I made recently about after 5 cars behind you that you hat to pull over to allow them to pass, in California.

I think I failed to mention this only applies to 2 lane roads.
Wayne -

I'll agree with you about this, at least in Washington state. I used to spend a fair amount of time on Whidbey Island, Washington, doing work for the US Marine base there. There is only one real road up the length of the island, Rte 20, from the ferry landing at Mukilteo, up through Coupeville, Oak Harbor, Deception Pass, and up to the bridge at Anacortes. The roading is scenic, but also two lanes, and usually winding making passing difficult. It is prominently signposted "DELAY OF MORE THAN 5 VEHICLES ILLEGAL". And the local cops were serious. I would have been embarassed at best to be chugging along at 40 mph, pedal to the metal, with traffic backing up behind me.

Not a big deal in the context of this discussion - but Whidbey Island is at low altitude (sea level!), and relatively flat. For a different set of circumstances, it is worth considering.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
irenepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne -

I'll agree with you about this, at least in Washington state. I used to spend a fair amount of time on Whidbey Island, Washington, doing work for the US Marine base there. There is only one real road up the length of the island, Rte 20, from the ferry landing at Mukilteo, up through Coupeville, Oak Harbor, Deception Pass, and up to the bridge at Anacortes. The roading is scenic, but also two lanes, and usually winding making passing difficult. It is prominently signposted "DELAY OF MORE THAN 5 VEHICLES ILLEGAL". And the local cops were serious. I would have been embarassed at best to be chugging along at 40 mph, pedal to the metal, with traffic backing up behind me.

Not a big deal in the context of this discussion - but Whidbey Island is at low altitude (sea level!), and relatively flat. For a different set of circumstances, it is worth considering.

Bill
As a resident of WA state and traveling from the east side to the coast of either WA or OR there are alot of 2 lane roads where I dislike following or being followed at speed below to well below the posted limit (second being the topic here). Passing lanes are available but seem to be few and far between. This was the reason I moved from the 4.0L that had a tow rating of 5000lbs to the 4.7LHO with a rating of 6500lbs. I had a 2720 and could make it anywhere I needed but on some of our mountain passes and other steep grades I could only travel at 45-50mph unless I would drop to 2nd gear and approach redline. Now I can travel the speed limit in most places and only drop into 4th and sometimes 3rd. This also allowed me to move to the bigger 3326TM. Better on engine and transmission. Just FYI
Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
robertkennel

While vacationing in Los Angeles I haven't seen one sign stating delay of more than 5 vehicles is illegal.

Maybe there should be on the 405 freeway
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Redhawk

I'm sorry, but do we REALLY need the goverment telling us when we need to be courteous and pull over so others can be on their way? (The answer is probably yes, I've seen those people that refuse to let others pass on the mtn passes! LOL) When I start slowing traffic down behind me, I pull over. Not a big deal. I usually will get a "thank you wave" from about 50% of them and occasionaly a finger from one.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
moaboy

In PA we have a number of 2 lane roads that when they go uphill, they add another lane On the right for slow moving vehicle that are instructed to stay to the right.
It helps.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Redhawk

Same here Moaboy....they really help us slow pokers....
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
PopBeavers

My earlier reference to a 5 car limit in California on two lane roads is the current number.

For sake of completeness, that number used to be 7.

I think, but am not sure, that California freeways have a minimum speed limit of 45. I'm too lazy to look it up.

This 5 car limit rule has noting to do with towing. It applies to all drivers.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

[QUOTE occasionaly a finger from one.[/QUOTE]

lol
i did not know you could see me from behind the tinted window's

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS