TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
libslowmo1

Default Need advice/guidance on tow vehicle

Hi all. My wife and I are sold on buying a TrailManor. Neither of us have experience with travel trailers or tow vehicles. I am in a position to either buy a TV or TT but not both. What I have is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7 V6. I have installed a Class III receiver hitch and a Derale Series 8000 Plate-Fin Transmission Cooler (11wx8-3/4Tx7/8D) in tandum with the factory installed small cooler. The transmission is the W5A580 5 speed but does not have the trailer tow option to lock out overdrive. I know that I still need to install for trailer brakes and need to know which product would be the best. Also, if I use a weight-distributing hitch can the vehicle handle the 2720 model? Additionally, we plan on traveling the US and are currently located in Missouri. Thanks in advance for all of your assistance and guidance! Ron.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
irenepl

Ron, Here is a site to determine all specs for your specific jeep. http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm#SPECS
Base on what I saw, You most likely be over the manufactures specs for towing a loaded 2720. But as we have seen and read, there are folk here that tow with similar TV capacities. It all depends on experience towing and terrain. It does sound to me that you have little or no experience in towing and for that main reason I would not feel comfortable with that vehicle and the 2720. I had a 4.0L Grand cherokee and upgraded to the 4.7HO for that extra margin of safety and there is a big difference and am very happy. Also, I have many years of experience in towing and know what I am comfortable with. Good luck in your decision and acquiring your TM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The 2720 will probably weigh a little more than 3500# on the road. We have other owners who tow with Grand Cherokees. This link is on the search terms for Grand Cherokee in this forum: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...earchid=761039

I would highly value the experience of our owners, and I would also read the owner's manual about towing and then make my own decisions.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Well, Ron, here's my experience with Jeeps. I purchased my first Cherokee in '88. New, with the same engine that you have. It did fine with no trailer, and also my little utility trailer. Going up hills (no trailer, and okay, mountains, as I live in Denver), I downshifted to pull the grades at 65 mph. It was fine for not towing anything heavy.

I then purchased a pop-up camper, and immediately upgraded to a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7 L V-8. It towed the pop-up fine, but that was 1250 lbs dry, so maybe 1600 lbs with all the gear, and water. We got a 5.7 L Hemi Grand Cherokee for my wife, and it towed the pop-up even better.

We bought a TM 2417 this January. Its dry weight is 2150 lbs, plus options and gear. I assume it is about 2800 lbs now, with gear, AC, batteries, two propane, and 40-gallon H20 tank.

My 4.7 V-8 Grand Cherokee had to downshift to pull the minor grades along the front range between Denver and Colorado Springs - no mountains. I got about 10 mpg while towing. My wife's 5.7 L Hemi towed better, but it also downshifted on the grades, but that should be expected. We did a trip into the mountains, and it did fine, but only got 14 mpg.

Due to work, and the TM, and the availability of it, I got a diesel Grand Cherokee this April. It tows like a champ, not even downshifting on the grades along the Front Range, and many of the mountain roads.

My point is, we have a smaller trailer, and I have had your engine. If you are okay with going up hills slowly, even Missouri hills, then you may be okay with your Jeep. I would be concerned about overheating on long uphill grades in hot weather. The transmission cooler is a big help, but I wouldn't worry about not having the lock-out for overdrive - just manually downshift it, and it will stay out of OD. You will want to downshift before heading down long or steep hills, so you will become accustomed to picking your gear, even in an automatic tranny.

I would not say your Jeep is ideal for a 2720, but if you take precautions, and are ready to take it easier on the road, and maybe drop your fuel economy by about 40%, you can tow the TM. The units themselves make travel and camping so much more enjoyable, it is likely worth it. But, keep in mind that you may be tempted to upgrade your tow vehicle in the future. There are plenty of used Jeeps out there, so that is something I would keep in the back of my mind, in your case.

Good luck! I don't want to be discouraging, and feel you will be happy with the TM, but I have had all the Jeeps over time. I pay close attention to what my engines do, and I know yours will be working while towing, especially on big hills. But, in the end, the trade-offs could be well worth it.

By the way, I use a Prodigy brake controller, and it does great! I believe it was about $125.

Regarding the weight-distributing hitch, you definitely want to get one. There are lots out there, and I got mine, used, for about $150. In my opinion, you don't need a fancy, anti-sway model, as there is no sway in my TM, and most other posters say likewise. I'll let others who have the 2720 tell you about their WDH, but you definitely want one. It keeps the TV level, and also the TM. You don't want to be driving at night with your lights pointing to the sky! ;-)

Happy travels!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Redhawk

That's a really good post LovetoCamp! All I would add is that at our altitude, we do have at least a 20% loss in HP on our TV's. If that makes any difference to the OP.

I was really surprised to see the towing specs for the Jeep. I have seen several of them around towing TM's. Perhaps the OP can do what I did, make do with what you got for a TV and upgrade when ya can. Good Luck....
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
PopBeavers

Towing slow uphill has a hidden problem.

I don't know about other states, but in California if there are 5 vehicles backed up behind you then you are required to pull over to let them pass.

I would not have the patience to pull over ever 115 minutes to let the Friday night traffic pass me.

Laws will be different in each state.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
libslowmo1

This is all great information and I appreciate all of you for taking the time and effort in providing this guidance! I've made sure to have my wife Cindy read these too and she is also greatfull. Based on all of your responses we are now leaning towards the smaller 2417 and/or 19RD models. Again, we would like to thank each and every one of you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Ron and Cindy.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by libslowmo1 View Post
This is all great information and I appreciate all of you for taking the time and effort in providing this guidance! I've made sure to have my wife Cindy read these too and she is also greatfull. Based on all of your responses we are now leaning towards the smaller 2417 and/or 19RD models. Again, we would like to thank each and every one of you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Ron and Cindy.
Ron this sounds like your final post? Don't quit now, you will continue to get good informaton here about all kind of thing. You might want to think about full membership it's about $12.00 per year.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default 2417 or 19RD

Ron - I looked at the 19RD, also. Since we have grandkids, we opted for the 2417, due to the extra bed. The extra room is nice. But, if it will only ever be the two of you, the 19RD could suffice. It has a nice porch to sit on, up off the wet ground. Nice little feature.

Good luck in your decision-making. We have no regrets with the 2417 instead of a larger unit (we got it so we could go on narrow Forest Service jeep roads, which the larger units would make for a very tight fit!). The lighter you go with your TM, the easier it will be to tow. Just don't go so small that you feel cramped!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
moaboy

Not all, but most highways have an extra lane on hills-even here in PA. So I'd never fudge my Huggies about how much traffic is stacked up behind you. I would think the more likely safety concern is being able to maintain the minimum posted speed, which those who tow with Jeeps would be qualified to respond to.