TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I never had to put my trailer to "the test" of an emergency stop but I wondered if the drag the brakes do have now would be enough to prevent the trailer from getting in front of me
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Several people have posted that their trailer wheels don't lock up, including me (the prodigy manual suggest this as a test). My guess is that the 15" tires may have enough additional mechanical advantage versus the 14's that the brakes can't lock up on dry pavement. But you really don't want your brakes to lock anyway, because they'd be a lot happier going sideways if they did. But I'd bet they'd lock just fine on rain or, heaven forbid, snow.
I once believed that I could not lock up my TM's brakes. Mine has 15" tires. Then one day in Nacogdoches, TX I nearly ran a red light. I piled on the brakes, and even though the truck has anti-lock brakes, I could hear the TM's tires squealing. They had locked up.

We had quite a discussion about this a couple of years ago. Reality changed my mind about what seemed to me a pretty sound theory.

Here is a copy of my theory:

Quote:
Folks,

I think I might have hit on the answer as to why the Prodigy controller does not cause the brakes to lock up while adjusting the level. I just bought a new truck. While reading the owner's manual section about adjusting the brake control, I spotted this:

"If towing a heavier trailer, trailer wheel lockup may not be attainable even with the maximum gain setting of 10." This is referring to the Ford controller specifically, but....

I began thinking about the reason for this. The Prodigy directions are GENERAL, intended to fit most travel trailers, not TM's specifically. Most travel trailers have TWO axles. The TM has one. Since most TM's weigh in, loaded, at 4-5000 pounds, that means that the ONE axle on the trailer manor is carrying all the weight! So, the force downward on each tire is DOUBLE that of a two axle trailer!

That means that the little patch where the rubber meets the road on the bottom of the tire is being pushed down, by the weight of the trailer, with the force that you would find on a tire of an 8-10,000 pound trailer that has two axles. This would result in having MAJOR traction on our two tire trailers. No wonder they won't lock up.

Seems to me that this also helps to explain the blowout problem so many have experienced.

Does this make sense to the rest of you? If I have erred in my thinking, please correct me.

Tom

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

My intentions are to test this in theory but not in practice. But they say the road to the campground is often paved with good intentions.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
moaboy

As a teenager I drove a grain truck usually hauling 6-8 tons of grain or feed. Once, an elderly couple pulled out in front of me and I tried to stop. Missed them by inches. They went on down the highway oblivious to the near disaster. Truth is most heavily loaded trucks can not stop well from high speeds at all. of course that is why paying attention and staying awake always matters especially when towing.
Point is, my TV and TM stops much much better assuming I am paying attention and awake...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hoo hah, what a memory! Yes, I had the same experience in high school one summer when I was driving a 14-wheel dump truck of sand or gravel around town for a driveway company.

Really gets your attention, doesn't it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote