TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Av8erdunn

Default Dinner food ideas?

We are fixing to embark on our first camping trip for a week @ stone mountain GA. I am having trouble coming up with stuff to take for dinner to eat thats not hard to cook or store. Yo can only eat so many hot dogs before everyone wants something a little different. I will be traveling with my wife and 5yo daughtet. What do you take for dinner while camping?

Thank yall in advance.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

I dealt with this before also, sealed ham steaks,packs well, leftovers work well for brkfst also ,spaghetti,boil in bag rice ,lots of fresh produce stands open with a chuck of meat, can make kabobs easy enuff, taco's , and if it gets tough to choose, can always threaten hamburger helper:d

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Just spent 6 days camping last week over the holiday. Had 4 adults and 5 kids ranging in age from 12 to 2. Utilized all the beds, sofas and 2 tents. We cooked mostly outdoors with gas grill, electric skillet and utilized a small microwave in the TM. Hamburgers, hot dogs, ground beef tostadas, chicken, per-cooked/smoked brisket and sausage links, lunch meat sandwiches, potato salad, baked beans, scrambled egg tacos, juice boxes for kids. We used ice chests for fresh food and the TM refrigerator for leftovers in Tupperware type containers. Even had ice cream bars stored in the TM freezer. We also made s'mores by using the fire ring in the campsite.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Sent my daughter off on her camping trip last week with frozen bell pepper casserole (a meal in itself), the frozen 1/2 of the enchiladas and rice I had made a couple of days before, she took hot dogs, tortillas & cheese for quesadillas plus some frozen chicken tenders to cook on the BBQ. She will probably make some Thai concoction with peanut sauce.

My next menu for our camping trip includes a package of ribs that I bought on sale at Safeway last week for $5 (we froze them), BBQ's chicken thighs (we cook them ahead of time while we cook something else and freeze them, they cook well on our big BBQ but are too greasy to cook on the little one), a half of a quiche that we bought in a two pack from Costco, ate one half and froze the other half, will also bring along some quality chicken sausages (bought on sale and frozen) to add here and there or for lunch, and one night we will go out to get hamburgers at one of our favorite hamburger places where we like to camp.

We usually bring along a couple of small steaks, come chicken beast, hamburgers, etc. The chicken breast is easy to cook and you can do a lot of different dishes with it. If there's leftover steak we make burritos.

Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas cook very well in our TM oven, too. You can bring one along, they fit in the TM frig.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Av8erdunn

I didnt think about spaghetti and we love spaghetti. Also the idea of scrambled eggs tacos with a little chorizo sausage is making me hungry now. Thanks for the replies, it looks like I need to take a trip to the store.

Also I like the idea of taking frozen food but with limited refer space how do you store your frozen food. I am guessing in an ice chest but I figured the stuff would get water logged when the ice melts.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
TM_Matt

I love Stone Mountain!

Do you have an oven? Although it takes about an hour and a half and turning on an oven in the middle of a southern summer is against all that's sacred and holy, you cannot go wrong with Chicken and Rice.

* Family pack of chicken thighs - about 8 (that's the poultry version of bacon).
* Can of cream of mushroom soup (regular size).
* Can of cream of celery soup.
* Package of onion soup mix.
* 2 cups rice (uncooked, white is easiest; brown takes longer). No instant stuff.
* 2 cans worth of milk.
* A disposable foil casserole pan that will fit in the oven.
* Foil to cover while in the oven.

Mix all the ingredients together - it will be very wet in texture. Some pour the onion soup mix over the casserole but I think the flavors meld better by mixing.

Bake at 350 for about 90 min. Check it at about 60. The rice should be melt in your mouth, not very chewy at all or al dente. You can take the foil off at about the 60 or 70 min mark to crisp the top. Yum. Check it every 10 min until the 90 min mark.

Feeds about 3 people if they're insanely hungry, 4 easily, sometimes a bit more. Fold the casserole pan and cover with foil for refrigeration of leftovers.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Putting frozen packages like veggies into zip locks helps so they don't get water logged. We also use zip locks to store left overs.

My husband is now past want a Yeti cooler he wants the Grizzly that they say will hold ice for 19 days. It is really pricey though.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Av8erdunn

I actually have an outdoor camp oven I can use for the chicken an rice. I bought it so there would be no need to run the stove inside. I like the yeti and grizzly coolers but there isnt a cooler out there that will hold ice 19 days in this southern heat. They are nice but WAY overpriced if you ask me.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
clown9644

If you are serious about cooking meals for a large group I highly suggest you look at this guy:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Half-Time-...Black/16518202

Of course you do need 110 to run it but it is a good microwave and convection oven in one. I have baked pies, cakes, full meals, with it. The 2x means it too, you can use the convection oven and microwave together and it cuts the time nearly in half. It will sit on the counter as well as on the outside on a table (when your home as someone else may like it while your gone). I make a lot of meals at home, freeze and then put them in a cooler with ice. At the end of the week the last of it will be cold but not frozen which is fine.

I also use a slow cooker (not quite the same as a crockpot) and will start a meal in the morning, do my touristy thing and come back to a terrific meal!

I do not pack all my meals. I will pick up fresh meat or salad stuff while I am a tourist and take back to grill, or put in oven, etc.
Dave
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8erdunn View Post
I didnt think about spaghetti and we love spaghetti. Also the idea of scrambled eggs tacos with a little chorizo sausage is making me hungry now. Thanks for the replies, it looks like I need to take a trip to the store.

Also I like the idea of taking frozen food but with limited refer space how do you store your frozen food. I am guessing in an ice chest but I figured the stuff would get water logged when the ice melts.
If it starts out frozen, it will stay frozen in the TM frig for a while (and helps keep the frig cool), and by the time you want to use it, it will be defrosted. I can fit 2 hamburgers, 2 chicken breasts, 2 steaks, a package of sausage, and an ice cube tray or 2 in the TM freezer. As more room becomes available, I move things from the frig into the freezer.

If we're going to use a cooler, I fill up soda bottles with water and use those for ice, it keeps the cooler dry. When we have to go buy ice, zip lock bags help.