TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default World's lightest trailmanor

On Thursday I stopped for breakfast in a very nice truckstop on I-25 in northern NM. After breakfast I noticed they had a CAT scale with very easy access at both ends...so I decided to get the TM weighed.

The guy in the control room had me position the TM on three different sections of the scale. There were 5 sections total. When the printout came it said that the TM weighed 20 pounds!!!

The other weights were also wonky, but at least registered a couple of thousand pounds.

The guy had me try several different ways to put it on the scale...same weird results.

Maybe that nitrogen I had put in the tires does more than they said.

Anyone else had this problem??

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I've been to that truck stop - Russell's in Cimarron, right? - and the CAT scale worked fine. But I did notice that the scale had five sections, as you mentioned, and the printout recorded only three of the five. My guess is that the operator set it up wrong. He should have had you drive onto different sections, or he should have adjusted the printer to print the ones you were on.

When I was there, there was a little Navajo girl running it. She was very helpful, and she knew exactly what she was doing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
On Thursday I stopped for breakfast in a very nice truckstop on I-25 in northern NM. After breakfast I noticed they had a CAT scale with very easy access at both ends...so I decided to get the TM weighed.

The guy in the control room had me position the TM on three different sections of the scale. There were 5 sections total. When the printout came it said that the TM weighed 20 pounds!!!

The other weights were also wonky, but at least registered a couple of thousand pounds.

The guy had me try several different ways to put it on the scale...same weird results.

Maybe that nitrogen I had put in the tires does more than they said.

Anyone else had this problem??

Tom
Tom,
They could be having serious calibration problems, or the operator made a dumb mistake. If it was possible for somebody to do it on purpose or by some easy accident, it would seriously undermine the value of a weigh ticket. How about telling them your story, and then let us know what you learn (http://catscale.com/contact-us )?

And here I used to be thinking about how we are the people providing them with entertainment when we weigh!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
brulaz

My only problem has getting up to the button/microphone to tell them to take the measurement. Last time I had to run into the office each time, so the weights didn't include the driver.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
TheBeeger

Just keep something like a yardstick or other long lightweight item in the TV to swat the button with...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I've been to that truck stop - Russell's in Cimarron, right? - and the CAT scale worked fine. But I did notice that the scale had five sections, as you mentioned, and the printout recorded only three of the five. My guess is that the operator set it up wrong. He should have had you drive onto different sections, or he should have adjusted the printer to print the ones you were on.

When I was there, there was a little Navajo girl running it. She was very helpful, and she knew exactly what she was doing.

Bill
Yep it was Russell's allright. But Cimarron is 19 miles to the west. They said they were located in Springer.

Tom

Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Tom,
They could be having serious calibration problems, or the operator made a dumb mistake. If it was possible for somebody to do it on purpose or by some easy accident, it would seriously undermine the value of a weigh ticket. How about telling them your story, and then let us know what you learn (http://catscale.com/contact-us )?

And here I used to be thinking about how we are the people providing them with entertainment when we weigh!
Thanks for the link. I told em.

Tom

Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Yep it was Russell's allright. But Cimarron is 19 miles to the west. They said they were located in Springer.

Tom
The CAT scale web site says they are in Cimarron, but you are right. I also noticed that Cimarron is a long way from I-25, having just come from Eagle's Nest and Cimarron.

After getting instructions on how to park on the scale from the little Navajo girl I mentioned, I asked how I should let her know when I was ready to weigh. She said "you won't be able to reach the intercom button. I'll watch you - just wave out your car window when you are ready." I did so, and in a few seconds, she came on the intercom and said "Got it! Come on in." Nice service.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The CAT scale web site says they are in Cimarron, but you are right. I also noticed that Cimarron is a long way from I-25, having just come from Eagle's Nest and Cimarron.

After getting instructions on how to park on the scale from the little Navajo girl I mentioned, I asked how I should let her know when I was ready to weigh. She said "you won't be able to reach the intercom button. I'll watch you - just wave out your car window when you are ready." I did so, and in a few seconds, she came on the intercom and said "Got it! Come on in." Nice service.

Bill
I got the world's lightest TM weighed at a CAT scale in Ozona TX. It weighed 3440 plus an estimated tongue weight of 516 for 3956 total.

Tom

Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Harry Womack

Default Trailer weight

I weighted my trailer in Wichita Falls TX. The trailer unhooked from the Suburban weighted 4775 total. That included 1/2 full propane, 1/4 tank water, charged toilet, emtpy gray water, full refer., 2- size 27 batteries, full pantry, microwave, and clothes for 3 people for a week.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote