TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
...You cannot just hookup the TM and drive home...
This part is the same problem with every RV. Anything on a flat surface that's not put away will slide off, just like things would if you left them on the dashboard. Also, similarly equipped RVs have similar campsite water, electric, and sewer hookup effort (the bigger they are, the longer it takes to position them as well, but I guess that's a different variable).

We find the setup/takedown time for the TrailManor at most 5 minutes longer than the motorhome we used to own, but the TM is more stable on the road and a much easier drive. Folding/unfolding is a minor nuisance that takes very little time.

The best thing about the TrailManor is that it never needs new wiper blades, oil changes, transmission service, or truck tires. It doesn't leak oil or hydraulic fluid or have leveling jacks that get jammed, and it takes an hour or so to wash with a step stool instead of a ladder. You can buy propane for it at the grocery store. It's built to self drain for the winter by opening 4 valves and the inside faucets. And, it tows beautifully behind a vehicle I already own that gives me 20mpg around town (I just did the math: on the road, we have 2/3 of the power and about 1/3 of the weight that we had in the motorhome).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Don't forget the entertainment that you provide other nearby campers that seem mesmerized while they watch the setup or teardown process of a folding TM.

Tim
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
brulaz

I have to agree with Ragmopp.

We've hauled our 24' TM Elkmont upright over the Canadian Rockies and back through Washington State's Steven's pass and the Montana Rockies with our V6 Tacoma with tow package (GCW ~9200#). We've also gone over the pass in the Smoky Mountain National Park, Appalachia. There was never a problem.

For the last few miles of Steven's Pass we were reduced to third gear and 45 mph, but who cares? All the better to see the scenery.

But if you DO want to cruise over every mountain pass at 70 mph, or pass everybody else on the road at high speed, then a more powerful engine is required.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Don't forget the entertainment that you provide other nearby campers that seem mesmerized while they watch the setup or teardown process of a folding TM.

Tim
Isn't that the truth! We've only been out three times since we bought the trailer and we had our next door neighbors pull out the lawn chairs to see the 'show'. It only took about 10 minutes for the outside to get all set up with two of us. When my hubby was done with the sewer hose, I could hear the gentleman next door remark, "that is pretty spiffy!"

The last time we were out in VA in October, one RV and one tent trailer arrived just as we were done backing onto the pad. They were together and in the two spaces just to the right of us. In the time it took for us to set up, they were still trying to get the RV backed in properly (it was a BIG motor home). The tent trailer next to us then backed in and we were already outside having a snack enjoying their show from our picnic table. Since we're new at the RV thing, I didn't realize just how long it took to set up a tent trailer. I was remarking to my hubby that setting a regular tent takes half the time that the tent trailer took to set up. I think of having to fold up the TM as a few minutes of work to save us hours of worry while towing. Also when stored, it's so much smaller. Some people don't even know that there is a trailer under that cover at the end of our driveway.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Nismo66

Default Pricing

Thanks for the information. I figured I would be ok because many of the other RV sites, and the Nissan Frontier Forums have people towing conventional travel trailers weighing much more than the TM. The biggest complaint is wind resistance. I think that the TM will definitely help with the lower profile...as well as the savings on gas. Not concerned about having to put things away during tear down. I have had pop ups and a 29 foot travel trailer in the past. I just love the trailmanor.

My biggest dilemma is selling the more expensive cost to the wife. I have heard that one should expect 20% off the sticker on new trailers. Any advice on this? Just want a fair deal. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

You might consider looking around for new 2010 models that (might) still on dealer lots since you will get a much greater discount on these but will still have a new TM warranty.

Tim
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
Nismo66

Default Tarheel

Tim,

I see you are in Fayetteville. I live in Southern Pines. What is the nearest dealer with a good selection of trailers?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

There are only 2 dealers in NC, HowardRV http://www.hrvc.com/ in Wilmington and Carolina Coach www.carolinacoach.com over near Hickory. We got ours in late August from Howard RV and got a better price than at Carolina Coach and they both had 2720SL models then. Howard has none at the moment and Carolina coach only has one 2720.

It looks like you may have to look out of state.

Tim
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Nismo66, If you have not seen a TM yet and would like to see our 2720SL, it's sitting in our driveway -- just give me a shout.

Tim
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Buying a TrailManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo66 View Post
Thanks for the information. I figured I would be ok because many of the other RV sites, and the Nissan Frontier Forums have people towing conventional travel trailers weighing much more than the TM. The biggest complaint is wind resistance. I think that the TM will definitely help with the lower profile...as well as the savings on gas. Not concerned about having to put things away during tear down. I have had pop ups and a 29 foot travel trailer in the past. I just love the trailmanor.

My biggest dilemma is selling the more expensive cost to the wife. I have heard that one should expect 20% off the sticker on new trailers. Any advice on this? Just want a fair deal. Thanks again.

1. Go to the RV shows right now, as there are discounts and factory incentives available now that will disappear for the season real soon. Either way, make the effort to visit a couple dealers.

2. When you're sure of what you want, plan your calendar and prep your tow vehicle for a trip to pick up a trailer in about a month. Email the people you've been working with and get a quote for what you want and when you'll want to pick it up. Quote a couple out of state dealers, too. Tell them all you're ready to sign the order this week if you can come to terms. Without breaching anybody's confidence, share in broad terms what you're learning from their competition.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote