TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
TMMiniVan

Unhappy towing up a steep driveway

Hi,

We bought a 2004 TM 2720 today and happily drove home ready to play (and to fix the broken items) and we arrived to find out that our driveway is too steep to get the TM up it without bottoming out! This was totally unexpected as our driveway really isn't that steep to us. Any ideas? Some friends suggested castors or something for the back but we don't want to hurt it. On the other hand, we can't leave it parked on the street for more than a few nights before the HOA will get after us.

Thanks!

-Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMiniVan View Post
Hi,

We bought a 2004 TM 2720 today and happily drove home ready to play (and to fix the broken items) and we arrived to find out that our driveway is too steep to get the TM up it without bottoming out! This was totally unexpected as our driveway really isn't that steep to us. Any ideas? Some friends suggested castors or something for the back but we don't want to hurt it. On the other hand, we can't leave it parked on the street for more than a few nights before the HOA will get after us.

Thanks!

-Amy
We recently prurchased a 2004 2720SL as well.

This is our 2nd TM. I would highly recommend installing a 2.5" "Lift Kit". Do a "Search for "lift kit installation".
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t+installation
This lift kit will raise your trailer 2.5" higher off of the ground and give ample driveway clearance for most driveways. If you still scrape (which I doubt), casters are an option.

I would also recommend looking at my propane tank mod.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...+propane+tanks
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
TMMiniVan

We had the propane tank off today when we installed the weight distributing hitch so I guess someone did mod it as it was pretty easy. The hitch wasn't so much - the dealer had to go cut the bolt to make it fit!

That lift kit installation is beyond my abilities but I can show my husband. I was hoping for a simpler answer that will get us out of the street within a few days (before we get called to task by the neighbors).

-Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

-Amy

If you could post pictures of your street & driveway so we can see what is happening it might be easier to get suggestions for a solution. If possible, pictures of your attempts to back the Tm into the drive would be most helpful

Meanwhile:

Take a look here to see if there is something that might help.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=10256&page=5

Tim
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
PopBeavers

What do you mean by bottoming out?

What is hitting the ground, front, rear or both?

One place we like to camp requires that I cross a dry creek bed. The first time I was dragging the rear of the TM. So I bought a hitch bar that had a 3 inch drop instead of a 2 inch drop. This raised the rear of the TM, but lowered the front of the TM.

Of course, our other favorite camping place requires a low drop because otherwise the front battery tray hits the ground.

If both ends hit then you have to raise both the front and rear. This is the lift kit solution.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
We had the propane tank off today when we installed the weight distributing hitch so I guess someone did mod it as it was pretty easy. The hitch wasn't so much - the dealer had to go cut the bolt to make it fit!

That lift kit installation is beyond my abilities but I can show my husband. I was hoping for a simpler answer that will get us out of the street within a few days (before we get called to task by the neighbors).

-Amy
You can pick up 2, 12" pieces of 2.5" square tubing (or cut down a longer piece) from a steel supply shop or scrap metal yard. Make sure that it has 3/16" wall thickness.

You could take it to a trailer repair place or welding shop and they can install them for probably ~$150-$200. It's just a 2-3 hour job.

As you will find out from reading this forum for awhile, sooner or later you will probably want to install 15" tires & wheels to increase tire life and lower risk of blow-outs. In order to do that, the trailer will require a lift-kit anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Without seeing a picture to see exactly what the issue is, you might consider using some wood over the culvert to raise the TM up a bit as you get it in the driveway. That might get you by, and could even be a permanent solution -- but I echo the others here recommending the lift kit, especially if you will be camping in campgrounds that aren't perfectly level.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
TMMiniVan

My husband just measured the driveway grade and says it is 13%. Pretty steep!

As for which end: we tried backing in first and that was about to hit on the bottom of the back bumper. We stopped and tried going in forward but that was a bust too with the back end trying to ground out on the street instead. I can try to take some pictures tomorrow but the link you posted looks a lot like our street! We are towing with a minivan too, if that matters (you can probably tell that from my screen name).

We also measured the tires and they are 13". I guess that is the default? If 15" tires and a lift kit will take care of the problem, we can do that! With the swing away hitch, this should fit into the garage but first we have to get it up the driveway

-Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Did you try releasing the pressure on the chains on your WDH before starting your backing?

This would lower the front of the TM and raise the rear a little. Not sure if will be enough to keep the rear from dragging.

Tim
Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
My husband just measured the driveway grade and says it is 13%. Pretty steep!

As for which end: we tried backing in first and that was about to hit on the bottom of the back bumper. We stopped and tried going in forward but that was a bust too with the back end trying to ground out on the street instead. I can try to take some pictures tomorrow but the link you posted looks a lot like our street! We are towing with a minivan too, if that matters (you can probably tell that from my screen name).

We also measured the tires and they are 13". I guess that is the default? If 15" tires and a lift kit will take care of the problem, we can do that! With the swing away hitch, this should fit into the garage but first we have to get it up the driveway

-Amy
OOOOOPS!!!! One possible problem. Be sure that you can clear the garage door if you lift the trailer.

I you are using a WDH, you might want to try pulling the trailer up until just before the rear of the trailer hits. Remove the WDH, put a couple of 2x6s in front of the trailer tires and pull forward until you clear the dip in the street.....or visa versa.

That's certainly not a permanent solution but it may get you up your driveway for now.