TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Drillbit

Default 2720 purchase. Maybe.

I am looking at a 2002 2720. I've been researching the prices of other advertised TM's. The prices seem to be all over the place for the 2002's. Some are as high as maybe 10k and others are as low as around 4 or 5k. Although some of the lower priced TM's seem to be possible scams.

The NADA is confusing because I really don't know enough about the extras. This leaves the NADA price under the asking price some. I don't know if TM's are that rare around here because there is a local TM dealer.

The TM seems to be in good condition. I know the seller. Not well but I do know them.

They are asking $7000. for the 2002 TM 2720. Is this a good, reasonable or just okay price?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I am by no means an expert on resale value but would think this is a reasonable price depending on the condition. Check the undercarriage and wheel wells for evidence of blowout damage and inside the cabinets in that area. Other than that, all the other normal spots you would look at to see if everything is working, i.e. furnace, fridge on all settings, AC, plus pressurize the water system and look for leaks. Do the shells mate properly when in the up position and how hard is the "lift" (torsion bars adjusted properly).
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Drillbit -

You didn't say where you are located. Prices tend to be higher on the west coast than in the east, because there seem to be fewer TMs for sale in the west as opposed to the east. Though I am not sure why this is true, you can see confirmation in our own TM For Sale section. So if you are in California, expect to pay more than if you are in Florida. And this may suggest that driving a longer distance to pick one up will be helpful.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Does it have roof A/C or side A/C? (Not that it's a huge deal).

Asking price is no indication of value. $7K could be a screaming good deal or not. I just sold a '98 2720 for $8K and I think the person got a great deal because everything (that matters) had been upgraded/replaced with high quality gear. With all the latest modifications done.

If this 2002 has had nothing done to it, plan on spending ~$1,000 - $1500 (depending on who does the labor) on upgrades (new 15" tires & wheels ($350), lift kit ($50+labor), brake assemblies ($100+labor), new wheel brgs ($50+labor), new batteries ($275+labor) etc). Just figure it into the purchase price. If everything else works, it's in good shape and it had all this done to it already (within the last year), it may be worth considerably more than $7K.

Myself.........I like to find a TM that needs all this done, buy it at a bargain and do it myself. That way, I know it's done, done right and it's like a new camper.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Drillbit

I'm on the east side of the country.

The more I read, the more I realize I should check.

My sister-in-law has the TM. She was the original purchaser. I "think" everything is in good shape. It's been a few months since I was in it. They used it last summer. I think the AC is on the side. Under the cabinet? Under something.

Purchasing a camper in the colder months doesn't seem as urgent. I'm just trying to feel good about the price.

I have looked at the TM's for sale on this site and some other sites. The prices seem to vary.

It always seems like items are worth more while I'm buying but decreases greatly when I'm trying to sell. I'd like to feel that I could possibly sell it after a couple years for a reasonable price without too much depreciation.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

When I bought my TM in 2007, 6-8 year old TM's in good shape with all working appliances (but old tires) were going for $8k-$10k. As Bill mentioned, prices in the west, and especially in California, were significantly higher. I don't know how prices are now, but they can't have deviated that much from such a wide range.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Has the trailer been stored in a garage or outside?

If outside, was it stored under a cover?

The "To-do" items that I mentioned can all be done by a moderately skilled do-it-yourselfer. Instructions for most of it can be found on this website.

If you take it to a trailer repair shop (not even an RV place) the labor should not exceed $300 because the tires, brakes, lift kit can all be done at the same time and they all interrelate as one job. That shouldn't take a professional more than 3 hours. A DIY could probably do it in 5-hours including a 1 hour lunch break and 2 hours of reading this board before hand.

Don't be intimidated by the the TM. Once you've had it for awhile, you'll realize how easy it is to work on and how few issues they really have.

Used TMs that are well cared for hold their resale value very well and are in high demand.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I should also add that if it's well priced, it likely won't last long. The market was a bit tighter when I was buying it, but I was looking at a TM in Ohio that looked great and was a good price, but I wanted to "sleep on it" before diving into buying a camper sight unseen. The next morning, I got up, had breakfast, and walked the dog. When I came back, I called the seller to tell him I'd buy it, and he had sold it a hour prior. Ugh. VERY frustrating, considering how long it takes to find the model you want in good shape, well priced, and somewhere you're willing to drive.

It worked out in the end though. We ended up getting a model that has worked out better for us than the one we were initially searching for, and we got it for less. But I still had to drive to the east coast to pick it up.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote