TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
jimron

Default question about interior clean/paint

we just got our used TM; the interior is yellowed, some walls more than others. Can anyone tell me if the interior walls can be painted. If not, then does anyone have any suggestions of a good cleaner to use? We really love the TM and have been looking for one for over a year. Now we can't wait to go camping in it.

Sharon
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Jim&Joan

Default curious, too

We are liking our '04 a lot. But, I think I might have a need to paint the interior.

Where the front outer shell sits on the rear lower half when closed, there is a dark line across the top of the interior ceiling. I tried to clean it up and realized that it wasn't dirt/grime, but is where the paint has rubbed away and the bare aluminum skin is exposed. Evidently it oxidizes and looks dirty.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Jim&Joan

Default I find UHMW threads

So, to sort of answer my own post and ask a follow up...

I searched the topic and see that UHMW tape from McMaster Carr has been used often. It seems that the tape is used on both exterior and interior rubbings.

On the interior application...
Is the tape opague (enough) or does the dark 'rub marking' show thru the tape? Any additional cosmetic advice? Unlike the exterior roof, I DO see the ceiling of my TM quite often :-) My favorite napping place is RIGHT under the rub marks.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I had the same problem, and I used that same tape from McMaster. I first cleaned the area with the Awesome cleaner everyone raves about here, which got alot of the oxidation and grime from the rear shell seal off. It hides alot of it, but some shows through. Good enough for me though, especially for naps. Below is a picture of the worst side of the two.

Alternatively, there are 2 other options:

1) paint the ceiling after cleaning before you apply the tape. I can't remember exactly the name of the paint (almond maybe, and the brand was available from Lowes and/or Home Depot).

2) the factory can send you a plastic strip that is fairly close to the color of the ceiling and is not at all transparent. It resembles a strip from a door-height vertical venetian blind. But while one side is fairly smooth, it still isn't nearlyas slippery as the UHMW tape, and as such, it will get dirty. You also need to get some 3M tape to mount it. After 7,000 miles over 5 weeks (and a few weekend campouts on top of that), my UHMW tape looks just like it did when I put it on the first time.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497 (Custom).JPG
Views:	284
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	4851  
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote