TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Joseph

Default Battle ready . . .

I like those rims.... The TM has always reminded me of some sort of beach landing craft and those black rims fit the bill!.... Here is hoping that the rest of your trip goes smooth with no problems. With a prayer on my lips and my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you for the pictures and sharing what is happening.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
grakin

Just for grins...maybe use your gauge on your TV and compare it to your TPMS numbers, if that's possible...just to make sure the gauge is reading correctly. Or, better yet, two gauges on your trailer (with higher pressures than your TV).
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #23
terryh

Default Tire Pressure Gauge

I have been told that the best pressure gauge is the bourdon-tube type. I saw this on the CarTalk web site some years ago, bought one (direct from the manufacturer, not from CarTalk), and have been very pleased with it. It has a lifetime guarantee.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
gmferg

The fact that the axle is attached out of alignment by 1" bugs me. I'm picturing the TM tires being constantly out of alignment and being dragged sideways. Could this have been contributing to all the blowouts since the beginning, and is it going to continue with the new 15s? I would like to hear WMTIRES opinion on this.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #25
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmferg View Post
The fact that the axle is attached out of alignment by 1" bugs me. I'm picturing the TM tires being constantly out of alignment and being dragged sideways. Could this have been contributing to all the blowouts since the beginning, and is it going to continue with the new 15s? I would like to hear WMTIRES opinion on this.
I too am interested in this contributor because it has to add heat to the equation. I lack the experience to know just how much of this type of shear condition would be considered typical. I almost want to go crawl under my TM and see if I can do some measurements to check how square my install is. I never would have thought to check the axle/frame geometry.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #26
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Terryh - Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the Cartalk page, and found the one you mentioned as manufactured by Accu-gage. The look just like the one I remember seeing as a kid, and since my Dad always bought quality, I know that must be it! I just ordered one of their bourbon tube gauges, and I'm really hoping it comes with some bourbon -- I think that may be all that can help at this point. Being that we're in the middle of a long trip, I'm going to attack this from as many angles as I can. This is the one I bought: http://www.getagauge.com/Tire-Gauges...ge-RDF160X.cfm

The TST system I ordered was just announced (the 507RV). Unlike their earlier version, which several board members here have purchased, this version has user-replaceable batteries in the sensors, a suction cup mount, an easier programming procedure (no ID's required apparently), and supposedly a more friendly interface. They are expecting to ship the first lot within a week, so at this point, they only take orders by phone. It is announced here.

I'll be at the TM factory Thursday morning. I hope they have their welders ready.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
Redhawk

The local Discount Tire claims the Carlise's are the best they have and their #1 seller. Hopefully that will ease your concern a bit. You'd think if they were troublesome, we'd have heard about it by now. He was shocked when I ordered the Maxxis.

Sorry for your troubles...hope the rest of your trip is great!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #28
Al-n-Sue

John - you must go to the same Discount Tire I do - he pitched me the Carlisle's as well. I was tempted since they were rated E and were significantly less $$ - but I bought Maxxis as well. Only had one trip so far (to Cheyenne Mtn - so you know that was not a test! ) but we'll give them a longer shot this weekend - to Red Feather Lakes.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmferg View Post
If the axle was not square with the frame, the trailer would not track straight. 1" out of square would be quite evident just by looking in your mirrors but to be sure, you could have someone follow you and see if the trailer favors one side.

My right side tire is about 1/4" from the rear frame member. The left side is 2" from the rear frame member. The difference is the location of the frame member, not the location of the axle mount.

The way to check is simply to measure from the front, outer edge of the tire to the center tip of the trailer hitch. The distance should be exactly the same.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
robertkennel

Discount tire has some good trailer tire facts. Search "discount tire trailer facts". Robert

Or search "cedar rapids tire trailer facts" also good tips.