TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
bowonly

Default Help with 14" or 15" tire decision

I recently acquired my first Trailmanor, a 2004 2720SD with 14'' wheels and installed lift kit. I want to replace the tires. Especially after combing through the forum educating myself on the tire issues. The current tires/wheels are S/T 215/75R14 with 14" 1870# rated rims. The question is do I go with the 14" Kumhos or the 15" Maxxis. Does this sound familiar?

From what I have gleaned, I will have to buy new wheels to run either tire. I do not expect to run heavy or drive at more than 55-60 MPH, but with the price difference minor, the smart move is to upgrade to 15" tire. I can deal with the spare tire modifications. The real question is will they fit.

I have four inches of clearance over the top of the tire to the wheel well right now. This obviously exceeds the recommended three inches. But, the clearence on the curbside to the rear is only 2.5 inches. The attached photo shows the tire is closer to the rear in the wheel well than the front. The 15'' tire would have a diameter of 28.3 inches vs. 27 inches for the 14''.

Can I get advice on whether this provides enough clearance for the wheel travel ? Seems like it may be cutting it close over a bump. Any help is appreciated for a first time post. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor (Small).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	4472  
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I upgraded from the 14" Marathons to a 14" 205 R14 Kumho, and did not require new rims. I also had less clearance than you on the rear side of the tire prior to the upgrade, and I have no problems.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It sounds like you have plenty of clearance. I would go with the 15". You can get higher weight ratings.

I can tell you from personal experience, if you don't upgrade you may wish that you would have. I hate that feeling.

If you need a boost, just go get your trailer weighed on the way to your next camp-out........you may be quite surprised at what you discover....
Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
gocntry

Looks Like You Have Plenty Of Room, Here Are My Before And After Shots Of Going To 15" Tires And Rims On My '08 Before And After
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Joseph

Default Do one or the other . . .

FWIW - Get rid of the standard 14's you are running. I ran the Marathons light, below 65, had a TPMS, and the &(*^& things still shed their tread like a snake. Lots of folks had better luck then I with theirs and mine may have been road hazard. Do not know for sure. The TPMS never went off because the tire, what was left of it, was still holding air. I just happened to hear the tread hit the plumbing on the TM as it left... fun... Currently running LT 14's. See signature. They do not have the sidewall flex of a ST tire so the TM appears to have a little rougher ride. No problem so far but I have not given them much of a work out. I think if I had it to do again I would go with the 15's but that is just a personal like after seeing gocntyr pics.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
ragmopp

Personally, I do not see the need of the 15 inch tires, and especially the expense of new rims. Not to mention having to monkey around with the spare tire holder. I have the Kumho's and have had zero problems. Unless you are planning on putting rocks throughout your TM (like Lucy) the Kumho's will work just fine. As others have mentioned definitely upgrade to something else, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowonly View Post

I have four inches of clearance over the top of the tire to the wheel well right now. This obviously exceeds the recommended three inches. But, the clearence on the curbside to the rear is only 2.5 inches. The attached photo shows the tire is closer to the rear in the wheel well than the front. The 15'' tire would have a diameter of 28.3 inches vs. 27 inches for the 14''.

Can I get advice on whether this provides enough clearance for the wheel travel ? Seems like it may be cutting it close over a bump. Any help is appreciated for a first time post. Thanks.
bowonly, I don't know why some TMs don't have the tires centered in the wheel well......there have been others before you that have noticed this.

I can see what you are getting at. You have plenty of bump clearance on the top, but not towards the back of the wheel well. By the looks of things, the current setup would probably hit the top about the same time as the back of the fender well, and that might change a little if you go to the 15" tires. The 3" suggested bump clearance is a worse case scenario, but you never know.

If it were me, and I already had the camper loaded for a trip when that picture was taken, I think I would give it a try. Even though the 15" tires are 1.3" in diameter bigger, it will only be a little more than a 1/2" closer to the wheel well.....the radius is 1/2 the diameter.

Now if the camper is empty and not ready for camping, I would load it up with all of the goodies and then see what the clearances look like.

I installed a lift kit and went with 15" tires on my TM with no problem, but the wheels were centered a little better in the fender wells.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Take a look at how much clearance I had behind the wheel before I went from a 14" Marathon to a 14" Kumho. WAY less than what you have.

This thread also discusses why at least one of my wheels is not centered in the wheel well.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6078

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
guitartom

besides the wheel size and lug spread (5 x 4.5) what is the proper center bore? I see wheels with 3.19 and 3.30" bores.

Thx
Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
bowonly

ShrimpBurrito, I read your post from two years ago . How are your "not centered wheels" working out these days or did you modify them?

Also, if you did not require new rims, what load rating were your wheels ? Did you put your 205 Kumhos on wheels rated at 1870 max load ? The 205 Kumhos are rated at 2271 lbs and 65 psi. Can I get by using my stock wheels going to the 205 Kumhos ?

Anybody want to weigh in on using the 1870 lb rated wheels with the 2271 lb rated tires ? That could factor in on the decision between 14" and 15" tires.