TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
PopBeavers, I am curious as to why that would make a difference since TM st tires are not drive wheels??

Tim
While towing:

on a single lane dirt fire road
that is actually 6 inches of mud
the road is 3.7 miles long
parts of it are downhill, around 30 degree slope
road is off camber, leaning towards the cliff side (of course, but it is only a little over a 100 foot drop)

The TM kept wanting to slide to the side instead of following me. I did not think it was a good idea for the TM tires to be 2 feet to the side of tracking directly behind me.

I compensated by looking in my mirrors and adjusted my steering wheel so that the street side tire, the on uphill from the cliff, was staying in the ditch that my truck tires were digging. This stopped the TM from wanting to slide sideways and it began to follow me like a good puppy.

I was hoping that a more aggressive tread pattern would grab better in the mud and tow straighter.

Having thought about it more, I think the tread would just fill up with mud anyway.

Mud and snow tires work on the principle that the RPM of a spinning tire will throw the mud out of the tread pattern. While towing in 4wd, first gear, low range, there is not enough RPM on the tires to throw the mud out.

It seems to me that under my towing conditions all tires are the equivalent of bald, because the tread is packed with mud and there is nothing you can do to fling the mud out except to drive faster, which was a bad idea under the circumstances.

Most people are sane enough to not tow a trailer where I do.

My wife had the easy task. She was behind me towing the ATV trailer. She followed the ruts that I created. The ATV trailer, around 2,000 pounds loaded, did not seem to want to slide sideways as much as the TM did.